Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Miss Rori

Looks like you also watched Jeremy Jahns’ review.
No, actually ;)

Meanwhile, I really feel they missed a trick promoting this movie at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this morning. The Disney Treasure cruise ship float was nifty, as was the original musical number with Mickey and a bunch of characters, but no sign of Asha or Magnifico or even a cursory mention of the movie or Disney100. No balloon either - you'd think Star would be a natural for that treatment. By comparison, Wonka had a float and Migration and Leo arranged for balloons. There was the obligatory commercial during a break, but it focused on the talking animals and didn't make the movie look that much different than Migration (specifically, its musical Christmas-themed specialty spot, among the other mentions that would be inevitable for a Universal-backed film during an NBC program).

Miss Rori

Is that good?
Assuming it keeps up that gross over the coming 4 days, that would be a $40-45 million 5-day domestic, which is in line with analyst predictions -- but not great for a $200 million+ film, and lower than the last few pre-pandemic Disney/Pixar Thanksgiving season openings. (Sure it's better than Encanto or Strange World, but...) Now, if there's a big uptick those days now that kids are definitely out of school, then they're in business.

Haymarket

Film Threat discussion about the production of the film. From 48:31. Alan Ng and Chris Gore. Includes inside info from animatiors who worked on the film.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Assuming it keeps up that gross over the coming 4 days, that would be a $40-45 million 5-day domestic, which is in line with analyst predictions -- but not great for a $200 million+ film, and lower than the last few pre-pandemic Disney/Pixar Thanksgiving season openings. (Sure it's better than Encanto or Strange World, but...) Now, if there's a big uptick those days now that kids are definitely out of school, then they're in business.

I really am unsure if animated films in general (especially originals), will open the way they used to. The market has changed.

But I do think this will have very strong legs, and the opening numbers are not as indicative as they once were. This seems to be ahead of Elemental, which ended up with great legs.

All I see is that Elemental, and now Wish, is already showing Disney is trending in the right direction, after major disruption to the industry.

TsWade2

I really am unsure if animated films in general (especially originals), will open the way they used to. The market has changed.

But I do think this will have very strong legs, and the opening numbers are not as indicative as they once were. This seems to be ahead of Elemental, which ended up with great legs.

All I see is that Elemental, and now Wish, is already showing Disney is trending in the right direction, after major disruption to the industry.
I totally agree! Even though Wish may not reach the 1 billion, but I hope it does Moana’s or Tangled’s numbers.

Miss Rori

I think a worry now is that that trend will be too slow for its own good. We're not getting anything animated from Disney or Pixar next year except Inside Out 2 (I still don't get why Elio was moved so far out -- it's not getting a huge retool like the Snow White remake supposedly is, is it? The Disney schedule is so thin as is in 2024), and there's no date set for the next WDAS movie or even a confirmation as to what it is. As far as is known (IIRC) the only WDAS projects in the pipeline are Zootopia 2 and Frozen III and IV and at Pixar, Toy Story 5. When Iger said they were working on a fourth Frozen just as the embargo was being lifted on Wish reviews, I got pretty suspicious -- it sounded like "Oh, this one isn't very good but just you wait shareholders!"

In the meantime, since Wish has no direct (or even wide release) competition for the next two weekends, if audiences really take to it the legs will be strong indeed. But if the dropoffs are significant, that's a bad sign; it's not like there are many other options right now. (And if it's not a financial blockbuster, I don't see it getting into the Oscar race when they could be promoting Elemental instead.)

BagOfGroceries

As for my actual opinion: an okay movie that is getting massively overhated for a variety of reasons. Star is awesome. Valentino knocks a star off by himself he‘s so bad. But i can see the whole film getting publicly reappraised in 2 and a half years.

TsWade2

Not looking good at only 45 Mil.

Maybe it will grow legs, but if it doesn’t it’s another giant flop.
Come on, it's not that bad, all right? I wish everybody just stop calling it a flop, because we don't know for sure yet! So that's enough with this flop nonsense and just wait! Also, I don't want to act like a drama queen person again! So enough is enough! 😤

Last edited:

Trauma

Come on, it's not that bad, all right? I wish everybody just stop calling it a flop, because we don't know for sure yet! So that's enough with this flop nonsense and just wait! Also, I don't want to act like a drama queen person again! So enough is enough! 😤
I said maybe it will grow legs.

Next weekend will tell the story.

It comes down to word of mouth and the cinema score isn’t terrible. It’s not the next Frozen but it doesn’t have to be.

Disney didn’t hit a grand slam but they can still hit a double.

We will know next weekend.

Sir_Cliff

It's because they realized that many of the audience for The Little Mermaid were couples, and they treated the movies as "date movies".
Interesting point. Maybe they did start thinking of broadening the demographics of these films in terms of date movies. Either way, they did become very formulaic for a while to the point where it seemed they couldn't conceive of an animated feature without a romantic story at its core.

For whatever reason, the love stories always resonated with me as a child, which is why I wouldn’t mind seeing more of them. That said, Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland were among my favourites too, so I totally get what you’re saying.
They must know what they're doing as so many of these films over the years have been love stories! Thinking of where that formula began to break down also reminds me of Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch which, for me, were standout films of that era. Maybe I'm just not a romantic at heart!

Tha Realest

It’s vastly underperforming the projections of two weeks ago. $40M over a five (6?) day holiday weekend is a catastrophically bad number. This is a worrisome trend, not a good one.

Disney Analyst

It’s vastly underperforming the projections of two weeks ago. $40M over a five (6?) day holiday weekend is a catastrophically bad number. This is a worrisome trend, not a good one.

From Variety:

"In the case of “Wish,” the hope is that families seek out the film over the holiday season, which could compensate for the slow start (that happened with last summer’s “Elemental,” which finished much stronger than its poor opening weekend would have suggested)."

I firmly believe Wish will follow a similar trajectory to Elemental, but stronger. We wait and see how the holds are, and how it does globally as more markets get the release.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From Variety:

"In the case of “Wish,” the hope is that families seek out the film over the holiday season, which could compensate for the slow start (that happened with last summer’s “Elemental,” which finished much stronger than its poor opening weekend would have suggested)."

I firmly believe Wish will follow a similar trajectory to Elemental, but stronger. We wait and see how the holds are, and how it does globally as more markets get the release.

That’s not at all what variety is “projecting”

The review basically saying it’s a mess that can’t figure out what it’s trying to do…

…and they were on the “kind” side.

Elemental was decent…big difference

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom