Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

Okay, but Disney will pretend Wish did not exist like they did with Black Cauldron. Maybe it’s better if they just do sequels from now on, because I feel people don’t want original stories anymore.
Even if Wish is a flop, I think the Asha character will sell a decent amount of merchandise (especially among Black girls who want a princess who isn't a frog for 75% of the movie), and King Magnifico will probably make some appearances at Disney villain events.

TsWade2

Even if Wish is a flop, I think the Asha character will sell a decent amount of merchandise (especially among Black girls who want a princess who isn't a frog for 75% of the movie), and King Magnifico will probably make some appearances at Disney villain events.
Yeah, but if Wish became a flop, I don't think DIsney Animation will sur.....I need help! 😭

TP2000

Ouch. I am really surprised by these numbers. I thought this would be the one surefire hit of the year.

The biggest surprise seems to be that Wish is getting beat by Napoleon, a historical biopic/drama that sort of came out of nowhere.

This is the first round of domestic box office estimates for Thanksgiving Day, with exact dollar amounts and other studio reports for stuff like Trolls Band Together coming in later today.

Turkey Trot.jpg

WorldExplorer

Question for those who have seen it;

I've heard rumors the end tries to imply the movie is an origin story for parts of other Disney movies, including implying the king ends up being the Magic Mirror from Snow White.

Is that true?

(I hope it isn't.)

mickEblu

Docter’s still at Pixar, isn’t he?

Seems the problem with Disney is every narrative and character beat is vetted for possible offense to the point that the final product is anodyne and bland.

Which means only certain identities can be villains, certain identities must be heroic, certain themes can’t be touched on, etc.

This is exactly it as much as people don’t want to admit it. Every time I open up this conversation though it goes nowhere and people get offended.

Ghost93

Question for those who have seen it;

I've heard rumors the end tries to imply the movie is an origin story for parts of other Disney movies, including implying the king ends up being the Magic Mirror from Snow White.

Is that true?

(I hope it isn't.)
I never had considered that while watching the movie, but it is an interesting theory.

TsWade2

Be thankful Once Upon A Studio exists, it actually felt like a proper celebration for Disney's 100th Anniversary.
Yeah, but I just wanted Wish to be a critical and financial hit, but now it's not going to happen. And is Disney Animation Studios keep making flops, then Disney Animation Studios will be shut down and Disney will have to stick with live action movies from now on.

Advisable Joseph

Yeah, but I just wanted Wish to be a critical and financial hit, but now it's not going to happen. And is Disney Animation Studios keep making flops, then Disney Animation Studios will be shut down and Disney will have to stick with live action movies from now on.
WDAS is not there yet.

Don't listen to the goofs who won't admit they're wrong about how the business works even to themselves in order to live in a bizarro "reality."

Phroobar

We already got that.

You seem to believe that Elemental lost Disney money, despite explanations from the head of Pixar?
He never said it made a profit or how much that was. The movie made $495,851,987 world wide. Production budget was $200,000,000 + $100,000,000 for advertising. Of that distribution takes half the gross. This leaves a net loss of -$51,574,006.

LittleBuford

He never said it made a profit or how much that was. The movie made $495,851,987 world wide. Production budget was $200,000,000 + $100,000,000 for advertising. Of that distribution takes half the gross. This leaves a net loss of -$51,574,006.
He essentially said it would be profitable if it made more than $460 million:

Perhaps you know something he doesn't, but the president of Pixar, when interviewed in August as the film was rebounding, said he hoped it would end up making $460 million—it went on to make considerably more than that—and that "it should do better than break even theatrically" based on his expectations. I can only interpret that as meaning that his hoped-for figure of $460 million is above the break-even point.

Phroobar

Okay. I’m sorry if I acted that way. I’m still seeing it next weekend with friends anyway.

Why wait?

If your such a cheerleader, why not see it tonight? Then go with your friends again next week. It could only help Wish's bottom line and that is what you want. It can't be because you are avoiding a crowded theater.

Advisable Joseph

He did say it would certainly be profitable, so unless we have Great Depression II it will make a profit for Disney.

Phroobar

I personally find it amusing that “breaking even” is now spun as some sort of goal or accomplishment.

No company invests $300M over several years to “breakeven” in future year dollars. They make investments to generate a return. A “breakeven” performance would be a complete disaster for any investment, let alone a $300M tentpole.

But hey, if these “breakeven” cheerleaders want to give me money to hold for five years and just want the same money back then, DM me.
Anyone that invested in it, even it did break even or make a small profit, probably will never see any return because of Hollywood's creative accounting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom