Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We'll see what this weekend's box office score brings, thats where it really counts...not what professional talking heads say. Its interesting to read what the original storyline was before production and editing took over.

Tha Realest

From Variety:

"In the case of “Wish,” the hope is that families seek out the film over the holiday season, which could compensate for the slow start (that happened with last summer’s “Elemental,” which finished much stronger than its poor opening weekend would have suggested)."

I firmly believe Wish will follow a similar trajectory to Elemental, but stronger. We wait and see how the holds are, and how it does globally as more markets get the release.
Elemental had better Cinemascore and reviews, and hardly any family competition for months.

Animaniac93-98

People are hoping this will play like Elemental, but keep in mind Elemental had a higher RT score (for both critics and audiences) and a higher Cinemascore than Wish. It also benefited from a lack of family competition during the summer.

Wish isn't scoring as high on those metrics and has direct competition with Migration and Trolls. Not saying it can't happen, but it may not have as strong a run.

Disney Analyst

Right…but the reviews were terrible and that matters

Very hard to swim upstream against that

48% on the tomato is really…REALLY bad

We have to wait and see, audience scores are decent, sitting at 81% verified and non-verified, A- cinemascore matches Frozen 2, and other various Disney films.

And as someone who saw the film, it is certainly hot horrid (I found it quite enjoyable), and I think it will have strong word of mouth with families. The kids in my showing were loving it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We have to wait and see, audience scores are decent, sitting at 81% verified and non-verified, A- cinemascore matches Frozen 2, and other various Disney films.

And as someone who saw the film, it is certainly hot horrid (I found it quite enjoyable), and I think it will have strong word of mouth with families. The kids in my showing were loving it.
Time warp…

Heard alot of that in may…didn’t do much

TsWade2

In the end, all any of us can do is speculate, until the numbers are all in over the next few months.

fret not. It will all be okay.
Okay, but I wish people just stop saying it's a flop. It's getting on my freakin nerves! And i wish those stupid critics give Wish good reviews, but noooooooooooo!
Sorry, I'm getting overwhelmed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hey, I recall many people on here saying Elemental was doomed after the opening and subsequent weeks, but in the end we saw it surprise many in the industry.

It’s not over until it's over. :)
Elemental was still a write down…just a lot less than initially feared

Not sure it got on any medal podiums regardless

I was referring to the “dead fish” movie…where anyone saying it failed was screamed at 8 ways to Sunday…
…in the end…that wasn’t the “right approach”

Phroobar

So I've been listening to the songs with their lyrics on YouTube. Why did they leave the thematic musical feel of their movies like Encanto, Moana and Frozen and go with the contemporary pop song soundss of Britney Spears and Justin Bieber? I guess the song writer has based her career on these types of songs. It is way too poppy for me. It felt like Trolls but with recent original songs.

This soundtrack makes me appreciate Encanto's soundtrack a lot more. It has better musical songs and was much more cleaver than Wish's. At least the lyrics rhythmed.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Okay, I'll stay. But if I hear one saying Wish is going to flop will be part of my ignore list!
Hey, ya know.. maybe don’t let this get to you so personally? It’s just a movie.. and ultimately it’s just a company that owns it, ya know. Trust me, I get it.. you feel like with the attachment you have a sense of ownership of it, but ultimately you don’t. Just realize you can only control what you can control (mainly how ‘you’ react to it and what you choose to engage with), not what happens with a company or how people may receive a movie. Some love it, some don’t.. We can always wish Disney the best, but ultimately in the end.. realize it’s our own personal memories, discussing those memories, and our love of those memories that keep Disney’s “magic” alive.. not necessarily the company or what happens with their offerings. The only ones who ultimately can control that are the people in charge, period And the sales/returns they make and how they respond to it.

Last edited:

CJR

Looking at the release calendar, what could undercut this film at the box office?

I don't see much, maybe Wonka. There's a chance it could leg out in the coming couple of weeks, I agree, next week's box office will be a big indicator of this film's success. Not the best start, but it's too early to tell its long term success.

Jedijax719

Looking at the release calendar, what could undercut this film at the box office?

I don't see much, maybe Wonka. There's a chance it could leg out in the coming couple of weeks, I agree, next week's box office will be a big indicator of this film's success. Not the best start, but it's too early to tell its long term success.
Migration

TsWade2

So, I was watching OrangeGrove55 on YouTube: And what he and George says give me hope for Wish and that video made me feel better. With that being said, I’m taking a sabbatical leave of absence until I see Wish in theaters next weekend. See you in a week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom