Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Disstevefan1

I guess it depends a little on whether you sit in the theatre looking over the financials to determine your level of enjoyment.

I'm still a little mystified as to why Disney fans would be clamouring for them to make cheaper movies. That mystification only grows when considering that we don't actually know how the profitability of these films are calculated across all the different revenue streams and so people pour over rule of thumb models that don't even include things like streaming.
The movie is the movie. I loved Elemental, I didn't like Strange world, I liked Lightyear, just thought it had nothing to do with Andy.

Hey, if Disney is OK with the costs to make and market their movies then great, they should keep doing it.

Maybe this is a totally false feeling I have but there seems to be a double standard when it comes to TWDCs movie business VS. their theme park business.

Apparently for TWDC, the costs needed to make and market a movie is of no matter whatsoever.

Everything related to their theme park business is looked at with a microscope and any cuts in spending is immediate, price increases are immediate, closer to how a real business operates.

Going forward, I guess, EVERYONE MUST IGNORE THE FINANCIALS when it comes to movies. Apparently TWDC does not care what a given movie costs to make and market and TWDC does not care what a movie makes. If that's the case, OK then.

I just wish TWDC had the same attitude about their theme parks. I know, I know, two different businesses.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
when do the plush valentinos come out because I want one like yesterday ha!

The Valentino plush is available on shopDisney as of today.

1515047443874.jpg

Here's a link to the whole collection.

TsWade2

View attachment 746256

Cute!🥰

Disstevefan1

View attachment 746256

🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

TP2000

For those of you are upset of the animation, the trailer you saw is a compression. I’ve found the 4k version of this trailer: And it looks so much better!😉

Most of that trailer went right over my head, and/or seemed dull.

But I have to admit, I like that goat. He's fun.

LittleBuford

The difference between the stills does nothing to address whatever isn’t working for me about the art style. It’s giving me a strange sort of uncanny valley vibe even though that isn’t really what’s going on. I’m not criticising the end result—they clearly put a lot of work into it, and others seem really impressed—but it just isn’t clicking for me yet.

BuddyThomas

There were no politics and ideology politics in Strange World. There was a very tiny, tiny, blink if you miss it gay boy who likes another gay boy plot point. The entire plot point lasts less than 2 minutes, and young kids won't even know what is going on. On the other hand, there is a father that is extremely accepting of his gay son, and that is fantastic. That sequence is also less than 2 minutes of screen time. Other than that, I'm on board with your above thoughts. Just block the haters. It works out best in the end. I wish I learned that lesson years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Farerb

The location is an island near the Iberian peninsula, so that would mean all the characters would be Mediterranean, though it doesn't seem like the characters themselves are influenced by the location as much as it's only the buildings or the setting. They'll probably behave like modern Americans who live in 2023 anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

What I don't quite understand yet.... Is King Magnifico her father? So she's a princess? Because King Magnifico is definitely not Black. He looks vaguely Spanish, or maybe Italian. Is her mom Black? Or is Asha just a citizen of the kingdom King Magnifico rules over and she gets to talk to him all the time as a regular young woman citizen who wanders into the palace off the street?
It’s made clear in the trailer that she’s selected to be the king’s apprentice.

The Mom

Premium Member
Are people really debating the race of a fictional character in an animated movie? Do posters really need to be focusing on a main character's race rather than the story being told? Is this going to happen every time a new movie is released?

If so, a lot of posts are going to disappear. Maybe people can just look at a trailer without raising the whole race/sexuality/politics/societal arguments.

LittleBuford

Are people really debating the race of a fictional character in an animated movie? Do posters really need to be focusing on a main character's race rather than the story being told? Is this going to happen every time a new movie is released?

If so, a lot of posts are going to disappear. Maybe people can just look at a trailer without raising the whole race/sexuality/politics/societal arguments.
In fairness, I do think viewers are supposed to notice that she’s a person of colour, and the directors wouldn’t have shared details of her heritage if they felt it was unimportant, but I agree with you that the conversation here went off in an unnecessary tangent and apologise for contributing to that.

Ghost93

In fairness, I do think viewers are supposed to notice that she’s a person of colour, and the directors wouldn’t have shared details of her heritage if they felt it was unimportant, but I agree with you that the conversation here went off in an unnecessary tangent and apologise for contributing to that.
I mean, representation IS important. The only animated Black princess Disney has made was a frog for 75% of the movie, so I think it's nice to have another one who gets to be human the entire runtime.

TP2000

Agreed. I can go off on late night derails with the best of them, but there is obviously a race/ethnicity for Asha that we are supposed to notice and factor into her character development and story arc for whatever reason.

And many media outlets are making her race/ethnicity the headline on their articles about Wish. So obviously we are supposed to be aware of it and factor it into the story of Wish. But then... I guess not discuss it?

Sir_Cliff

I understand people are debating things that are actually being discussed online and in articles about the film that include relevant comments from the creators and don't wish to criticise them, but this is kind of where I am. The character is from a mythical place loosely based on a region that in the real world encompasses a range of races and ethnicities. So, considering race is something constructed in this reality differently depending on who you're talking to and where they're from, can you really say this fictional character from a fictional place has a race that accords to any of the categories being discussed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom