Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Disstevefan1

I understand nothing TWDC releases today is for me and I accept that. It doesn’t stop me from viewing it to hopefully entertain me anyway.

We will watch the movie when it’s available on streaming. If my family wants to wants to purchase digitally I will, otherwise, we will wait for it to be “free” on Disney+

I do wonder what the “Normees” that are not Disney fans like us here, today feel about the Disney brand? I suspect the majority have no strong feeling either way and will bring there kids to see this animated movie because Disney and because animated.

Disstevefan1

As I noted earlier, the filmmakers seem intent on people not reading socio-political metaphors into this movie, but The Discourse is going to be so interesting when it comes out, I'm sure. I'm not excited for this film but it's kind of fascinating to look at what people are already reading into it.

For me, I think it's ironic that Disney's 100th anniversary movie has the villain be someone who hoards the dreams of others and basically profits off that, especially with the plot detail that the kingdom has a tourist trade and Asha's day job is a guide, given how Disney's corporate image is built on dreams and imagination for everyone but it keeps raising the bar for entry (most obviously with the theme parks), to say nothing of how it's fumbled the PR ball with the writers' and actors' strikes alike. This was also the case with the Dumbo remake, no? They keep trying to do self-parodies but it's half-hearted.
There was a time, before social media, before YouTube, before streaming, that it was a “no brainer” when it came to Disney content. Pick up the VHS or DVD, stick in in the machine, plop the kids in front of the TV and you were done with no worries.

Not counting us here, Does the Disney brand still mean that for the rest of the regular folks out there I wonder?

DisneyHead123

I do wonder what the “Normees” that are not Disney fans like us here, today feel about the Disney brand? I suspect the majority have no strong feeling either way and will bring there kids to see this animated movie because Disney and because animated.
I’m a huge Disney fan but I won’t be taking my son to Wish because it’s not a known entity. He’s seen 2 theater movies and both were based on cartoons. I realize that I am “part of the problem” in regard to why studios stick with safe choices instead of innovating. But a theater viewing is a considerable financial investment these days. I’m not paying that for him to complain that he wants to leave after 5 minutes if he’s not into the story. Familiar characters are a safer bet.

Miss Rori

Beyond the Disney fandom, I don't think Wish has stirred up strong emotions with moviegoers one way or another yet. I think part of that is because the teaser was so vague that it might as well have been a commercial for Disney as a brand.

Now Disney remains a powerful family brand - streamers like Netflix, Max, etc. have plenty of kiddie shows and movies of their own, but next to no one subscribes to those services specifically for family entertainment. At this point family entertainment is all that Disney does, compared to when they had subsidiary companies like Touchstone, and it is an easy go to for many people. But at the same time I think there is growing cynicism about Disney as a corporation, and the main thing that helps keep it going is that there is no comparable alternative in terms of reach, scope, and quality. WB (Cartoon Network, Looney Tunes, etc.) is too diffuse with its family properties and growing increasingly unambitious, Nickelodeon's output doesn't cross over to the adult crowd the way the better Disney work does, Dreamworks has proven hit and miss, Illumination has found a niche in lighthearted high-concept fare but is not really taken seriously.

Wish's prospects are interesting. This year it's become clear that there is a large market for PG (if never G anymore) family entertainment -- one that isn't being fully satisfied because Disney, among other companies, leaned too hard into pushing PG-13 stuff like the MCU as "fun for all ages" when it really isn't (too violent, too complicated, etc.). The Super Mario Bros. Movie thrived for being the first PG-rated wide release since last Christmas. Of the PG titles we've seen since then, the Little Mermaid remake did okay (not as well as Aladdin or Lion King's 2.0s, but the international market just isn't the same post-pandemic and Ukraine war), Elemental held on far better than expected given Disney's clumsy marketing, and Across the Spider-Verse and TMNT: Mutant Mayhem caught on too, the former more obviously than the other. (Remember, prior to Barbieheimer Spider-Verse was shaping up to be THE summer blockbuster.) Ruby Gillman bombed hard but that was mostly down to Universal/Dreamworks' indifference. And now this weekend, it looks like the Paw Patrol sequel will hit number one at the box office, and with a modest budget will prove quite profitable for Paramount/Nickelodeon much sooner than most of those other titles.

There are no more family titles until Trolls: Band Together and Wish open within a week of each other in November (yes, The Marvels will certainly be pushed to the younger end of the spectrum but...). Because Trolls 3 is opening the same day as Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes I don't think even Universal thinks it's going to hit number one, or take a huge bite out of Wish's prospects, though it could do well regardless.

Wish has no direct competition beyond Trolls 3; the only other wide release that day is Napoleon. And after it opens, it's several weeks until the next holiday family movies (Wonka and Migration). The main obstacle I think Wish is facing is that so far it looks like "generic Disney Princess movie" to the masses, especially with its almost no-name voice cast. Remember, there hasn't been a breakout in-house Disney animated feature theatrically since Frozen II, with a lot of people waiting on streaming instead. Wish doesn't have a streaming date announced but might people choose to wait if nothing about it screams "unique event"? Yes, it's the centennial movie, but it doesn't feel like one. It doesn't even feel like an event the way, say, the original Beauty and the Beast did in 1991. Even the idea that this is the origin of the wishing star hasn't been brought up in the advertising thus far.
If Wish isn't a huge audience and critical smash out of the gate (Disney hasn't had an in-house animation hit with critics since...what, Zootopia or Moana? Reception for their subsequent films has felt "fine" at best), it will probably get by just for a lack of other options for a few weeks - it won't be Strange World 2.0 - but with that in mind I would not be surprised if Wonka and Migration end up doing better business over the holidays. WB is going to push Wonka hard (though I think it will end up being their equivalent to Mary Poppins Returns' reception at best unless it's truly great) and Illumination's high-concept farces play well to little kids especially.

BrianLo

I don’t think the average millennial sees anything any differently. I just did a bunch of house hopping amongst friend/toddler based households. Moana, Encanto and maybe (slightly oddly to those less observant here) Coco were pervasive.

Was Strange World a flop? Ya, but being blissfully unaware of its existence isn’t exactly brand detrimental. It simply exists in the same bucket as Brother Bear.

The Disney Animated Musical genre still seems alive and well amongst this generation of kids. Frankly as strong as it’s been since the 90’s. It’s the pre-Frozen Gen Z demo that maybe has less brand affinity, but neither do their average Gen X parent.

Miss Rori

I’m a huge Disney fan but I won’t be taking my son to Wish because it’s not a known entity. He’s seen 2 theater movies and both were based on cartoons. I realize that I am “part of the problem” in regard to why studios stick with safe choices instead of innovating. But a theater viewing is a considerable financial investment these days. I’m not paying that for him to complain that he wants to leave after 5 minutes if he’s not into the story. Familiar characters are a safer bet.
I can understand that, and it's telling that so many recent family hits involve familiar IPs, but I wonder how much that will affect something like Wish. Thanks in part to lingering production delays and strikes, this Thanksgiving/Christmas season is unusually thin on wide-release titles in general, and some families won't/can't wait until Wonka and Migration arrive in December...

MoonRakerSCM

You're not the only person I've seen make this comment, saying they liked the feel of the teaser more. I think that had its own issue in getting people excited by being vague about the premise. But while the full-length trailer does give a clearer view of the storyline...
I watched it again today to toss around some thoughts. I think it's Asha's character that is off putting. As CaptainAmerica said below-
The Anna "I'm a pretty princess but also awkward and I snore and say things like 'wait, what?' all the time so I'm relatable to millennial women" is so old at this point.
Her immediate introduction is bouncing around all awkward etc... the character trait is tired at this point.

Sir_Cliff

“Capitalism bad,” said The Walt Disney Company.

Though, I could see why those with the Disney studios have an antagonism towards a system which is premised on earning profits.
Let's wait and see until we know more about the film's plot before we start reading these analogies into it.

It's still fuzzy (at least to me) what the tension around granting wishes is supposed to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1696215917926.png

Disstevefan1

I don’t think the average millennial sees anything any differently. I just did a bunch of house hopping amongst friend/toddler based households. Moana, Encanto and maybe (slightly oddly to those less observant here) Coco were pervasive.

Was Strange World a flop? Ya, but being blissfully unaware of its existence isn’t exactly brand detrimental. It simply exists in the same bucket as Brother Bear.

The Disney Animated Musical genre still seems alive and well amongst this generation of kids. Frankly as strong as it’s been since the 90’s. It’s the pre-Frozen Gen Z demo that maybe has less brand affinity, but neither do their average Gen X parent.
Now if Disney can bring down the costs to make and market the movies to at least approach break even its all good.

Unless the box office is now irreverent and over the very long term the movies will eventually make back what they cost to make and market?

Sir_Cliff

Now if Disney can bring down the costs to make and market the movies to at least approach break even its all good.

Unless the box office is now irreverent and over the very long term the movies will eventually make back what they cost to make and market?
I guess it depends a little on whether you sit in the theatre looking over the financials to determine your level of enjoyment.

I'm still a little mystified as to why Disney fans would be clamouring for them to make cheaper movies. That mystification only grows when considering that we don't actually know how the profitability of these films is calculated across all the different revenue streams and so people pour over rule of thumb models that don't even include things like streaming.

So much of Disney's legacy is built on films that lost money on their initial release, but it seems like current fans(?) would have preferred a company that churned out more Make Mine Musics in place of Sleeping Beautys due to the inner glow the greater profits would have brought them while viewing the films.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom