Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TP2000

Just to size the historic bomb that Wish is shaping up to be, that brutal $19.5M opening Fri-Sun is less than Treasure Planet’s over the same holiday weekend adjusted for inflation.

Let that sink in.

Interesting comparison, and yet alarming. And illuminating.

If Wish continues to follow the same box office path adjusted for inflation as Treasure Planet... oof.

What Planet Are You From Where Wish Is A Success.jpg

Consumer

Honestly, the absolute disaster that this movie has become has me greatly intrigued to actually see it. I won't, let me be clear, but it's the only thing that has actually grabbed my attention. I really miss getting excited for the newest Disney movie. The last animated Disney feature I saw in theaters was Frozen II, and that was a disappointment. I honestly can't remember a single plot point about that movie or any of the songs (besides that one melody Elsa hears).

MoonRakerSCM

Amongst my friends there is just absolute apathy for Disney films. There was a whisper to see Captain Marvel the other week, that fell apart... there was a whisper to see this over the weekend, and it too fell apart. I just asked about seeing anything this week and the only murmur gaining traction is for Napolean.

Curious that one friend loved the goat character from the trailers... but can't be bothered to go see it. Her one comment yesterday was "I heard it's doing terrible which means I can catch it sooner on Disney+"

TP2000

Amongst my friends there is just absolute apathy for Disney films. There was a whisper to see Captain Marvel the other week, that fell apart... there was a whisper to see this over the weekend, and it too fell apart. I just asked about seeing anything this week and the only murmur gaining traction is for Napolean.

Like most of us, I had a house full of family this past weekend (it was me debuting holiday hosting in my new home!). Multiple generations of men and women, and all of us have a long family history of loving Disneyland and some Disney movies together. Our last movie outing that was hilarious was Barbie this past summer, and we had a blast.

When discussing entertainment options for Friday and Saturday, no one mentioned seeing Wish or The Marvels. Not a peep. The kids ended up doing other things out on their own on Friday evening, but it wasn't Wish.

Curious that one friend loved the goat character from the trailers... but can't be bothered to go see it. Her one comment yesterday was "I heard it's doing terrible which means I can catch it sooner on Disney+"

Funny you mention that. When Wish was hyped and previewed at D23 Expo last summer, it was the goat that I really liked immediately. Then a few weeks ago I watched the trailers and saw the goat reduced to doing butt jokes and fart references, and I changed my mind on him immediately. Stay classy, Disney. :rolleyes:

celluloid

Funny you mention that. When Wish was hyped and previewed at D23 Expo last summer, it was the goat that I really liked immediately. Then a few weeks ago I watched the trailers and saw the goat reduced to doing butt jokes and fart references, and I changed my mind on him immediately. Stay classy, Disney. :rolleyes:

What is funny is I remember Disney only fanatics saying that Universal was low brow(I can see that with Minions sometimes for sure with Nickelodeon blue humor) or Trolls with the weirdness and fart jokes.

And yet Wish came out. And then it was All is calm, all is bright.

mickEblu

Lasseter had to go, but they should have appointed someone with more experience instead of Jennifer Lee.

Whether he had to go or not is debatable. But I guess if you mean that Disney- a corporation had no choice at the height of #metoo then I agree. Whether the allegations were true or embellished is another story.

What were the allegations again? Long hugs or tight hugs? Something like that.

celluloid

Whether he had to go or not is debatable. But I guess if you mean that Disney- a corporation had no choice at the height of #metoo then I agree. Whether the allegations were true or embellished is another story.

What were the allegations again? Long hugs or tight hugs? Something like that.

Hugs, awkward hugs and touching. The guy passively admitted it and bowed out.

It is known that Lasseter was kind of a creepy drunk.

Magic ball if I had it, I would not use it to bring him back and make him uncreepy, I would have instead wish Joe Ranft not have passed.

Once Joe passed, pixar went down the spirally drain in terms of concepts and same level of quality.

Ghost93

As much as I hate jokes like "My butt found it" the kids in my audience DID laugh at that and they are the target audience. I'm glad they found it amusing.

But that also kind of ties into my earlier criticism where I feel Wish feels like a good "kids" movie but not a great "family" movie. The best Disney and Pixar films tend to have themes and character arcs that connect with adults just as much as kids, but I think Wish is so simple that children will be the only ones who deeply love the film.

Ghost93

The problem with bad opening weekends is that they rob a movie of a "fear of missing out" element. People went to see Barbie, Oppenheimer, Avatar and Mario to be part of the conversation. But once a movie is branded a "flop" people will think "well if no one else is seeing this, clearly I don't have to either!"

Farerb

The only Pixar films I love are WALL-E and Brad Bird's films (Incredibles + Ratatouille). Toy Story 1-3 are also good. Luca is cute but not outstanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom