Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

MrPromey

Great points, and I'd love to use this thread to actually discuss the movie!

I don't think Magnifico was afraid of the star at first. He didn't even know it was the star that caused the lights. He outlawed the kingdom from participating in Magic, and to me, he seemed more afraid of the fact that someone dared defy him, and accomplished something that his kingdom celebrated. It seemed much more of an insecurity of loosing his adoring subjects, as opposed to the power of the star.

I do agree that more exploration of the Star, and its power and limits would have made a stronger finished product.

However, as for why bother rescuing the Wishes, I think the movie does an pretty decent job explaining this. It's made very clear that when Magnifico takes your wish and you forget it, you also forget a huge part of what makes you you. This was done primarily with Simon, how the whole friend group discuss how he's changed since turning 18 and giving his wish. I do think this plot point could have been better explored by having more adults in the kingdom seem more dejected. There could have even possibly been an explanation that Magnifico's powers of making people forget their wish and adjusting were slipping or something.

But, when Star meets all of Asha's friends, Star touches them all, and their heart glows until Star touches Simon. Simon never glows, and Star immediately gets super sad (for the only time in the movie). I took this to mean that if you've given up your hearts wish, Star's magic is useless to you. It's not that Star wouldn't help the people get their wishes back, it's that Star couldn't magically help get them back.

I also think that Disney is moving away from the 'wish on a star and all your dreams can come true!' narrative, and shifting to a 'you need to take your wishes and dreams into your own hands.' Having Star do a shimmy and free all of Rosas would have been a step back in this evolution. That's kind of the whole point of the movie too? The people just sitting around Rosas hoping for the king to one day maybe grant them their wish, vs Asha wishing for more for the Kingdom, wishing for them to have the opportunity to realize their own wishes.

He didn't know it was the star but he freaked the eff out the moment that happened and as soon as he understood what it was, he jumped straight to the forbidden zone without passing go.

I'm guessing it wasn't just him that got rewrites and massive changes but large chunks of the movie to make sure whatever Ts they had to cross and Is they had to dot got their moments. That's the only reason I can think of to have ended up with what we got.

My point wasn't why bother rescuing the wishes. It was why bother making everyone jump through hoops to do it when the star was clearly powerful enough to have done it from the start, alone without bothering to address why it couldn't or wouldn't.

It could have released all their wishes so they could find their own way to make them happen.

It did after all, seem to grant wishes at its own choosing along with doing magic nobody asked for when they (Disney) needed it for humor.

I don't think she asked for a magic wand but it had no problem offering one up to her to go off and be useless with it .
I mean, they almost failed because they couldn't get the roof to open for pete's sake!

I can understand as a construct "this is what we want to happen" and "we don't want to make this about people getting things handed to them" and if we want to talk about morals or the message Disney wanted to send that's a whole other discussion. I just saw no attempt at an in-world explanation for why that didn't happen at any point if all it took was opening a roof that for whatever nonsensical reason, was already designed to open.

Surely magically pulling a rope is less magical than granting a three week old goat the ability to speak English with the fleshed out fully developed thoughts of at least a teen human, no?

I don't go into a movie thinking "the film makers didn't want to make it too easy on them". I want a story written smartly enough that I don't have to think about what the filmmakers wanted in the moment of watching the movie. I'm of the opinion, the movie and story should be enough to do that.

As the creators of the story, this world and everything in it, they were free to write the rules however they wanted but it's like they just didn't even bother.

It's like, imagine if Lord of the Rings had been written without ever addressing there was only one way to destroy the ring. Without anyone mentioning trying any other method or anyone even saying the only way was to go on a long dangerous journey to drop it some place to destroy it, they just decide "hey, lets do it this hard way" and maybe they have a good reason for it or maybe they don't but you the reader have no way of knowing because Tolkien didn't bother to come up with that important plot detail.

... It's just like they didn't explain how a song turned everything around.

It just did and I guess we're supposed to be so impressed by the song we don't question how it fixed everything.

I mean, to compare it to a better Disney movie, think about how they resolved things in the fist Aladdin when faced with a similarly overpowered villain who had at that point clearly won with seemingly no way of stopping him.

They actually managed to write a story reason for how the good guys won, there.

They didn't even seem to bother to try, here.

Last edited:

TsWade2

First, once again, I apologize for being a drama king. I guess I’ve been doom scrolling on Twitter/X. Second, I’ve found a slash film article that gave me hope for Wish: https://www.slashfilm.com/1455842/disneys-wish-box-office-disappointment-dont-count-it-out-yet/ I guess despite of a bad start of the box office, maybe there’s hope for Wish to do well at the box office after all. Maybe not a Frozen success, but maybe between a Tangled and Moana success. We’ll see. In the meantime, I’m planning to see it with my best friend this Saturday. Just need to find out the times tomorrow.

WorldExplorer

I don't know what their next movie is (and I probably won't see it), but I'm curious how they're going to handle villains now that their "return to form" seems to have fallen flat on its face (and amassed a group of people who're appalled at Disney's lack of concern for him falling flat on his face).

Try again?

More badly written twists?

Actually try to write a character that's consistently an antagonist with personality and presence but not in the pure evil style of old villains?

Give up and try to avoid them altogether?

Farerb

First, once again, I apologize for being a drama king. I guess I’ve been doom scrolling on Twitter/X. Second, I’ve found a slash film article that gave me hope for Wish: https://www.slashfilm.com/1455842/disneys-wish-box-office-disappointment-dont-count-it-out-yet/ I guess despite of a bad start of the box office, maybe there’s hope for Wish to do well at the box office after all. Maybe not a Frozen success, but maybe between a Tangled and Moana success. We’ll see. In the meantime, I’m planning to see it with my best friend this Saturday. Just need to find out the times tomorrow.
You didn't even go to see Wish in its opening weekend? Do you realize that you contributed to its low opening numbers?

Miss Rori

For me, I don't get the point of 90% of what happened [...]

... and that works in a kids movie where nobody is expected to think much about that sort of thing but as a family movie or one meant to entertain adults in general, I just don't see how that works.
I have not seen the film, but having looked at the lyrics of the final song and some of the tie-in books...In the climax, the song works because as Asha remembers from "I'm a Star", she and every other citizen of Rosas is a star. By singing together of their desire for more than Magnifico's reign of terror, thus tapping into their own inherent magical ability, they are able to overpower the dark magic and free Star.

FettFan

I have no idea what the appropriate budget for such a film is, so I’m not in a position to assess whether it’s too much or not.

For comparison, $100M was the budget for both Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) and Super Mario Bros. Movie (Illumination).

Disney tends to go higher, with Frozen, Frozen 2, Moana, Zootopia, and Encanto all around $150M.

Strange World reportedly got $180M

FettFan

Any personal issues aside, Lasseter isn't the creative audience whisperer that some thinks he is anyways.

Just have to look at his offering after leaving Pixar, Luck. Didn't connect with audiences at all, has an even lower audience score than Wish does.

We'll see if any of his other films currently under production fair any better, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the biggest problem with Luck is the fact that it was (and remains) exclusive to Apple TV+.

MrPromey

I have not seen the film, but having looked at the lyrics of the final song and some of the tie-in books...In the climax, the song works because as Asha remembers from "I'm a Star", she and every other citizen of Rosas is a star. By singing together of their desire for more than Magnifico's reign of terror, thus tapping into their own inherent magical ability, they are able to overpower the dark magic and free Star.
Which would suggest that this amazing dark magic he basically threw his soul away to possess wasn’t even really that powerful to begin with, relatively speaking.

Yours is probably the closest to the right answer and it’s funny that nobody who has actually seen the movie on here responded with that (but now that you’ve put it out there, we’ll get people agreeing)

And unfortunately, that’s only one of the things they don’t really flesh out either well or at all during this film’s running time. :/

MrPromey

For comparison, $100M was the budget for both Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) and Super Mario Bros. Movie (Illumination).

Disney tends to go higher, with Frozen, Frozen 2, Moana, Zootopia, and Encanto all around $150M.

Strange World reportedly got $180M
To be fair, the artists for Spider have said that as an industry, the conditions they produced that movie under are not sustainable.

The right answer for feature length animation is probably somewhere closer to the middle between the two.

Casper Gutman

To be fair, the artists for Spider have said that as an industry, the conditions they produced that movie under are not sustainable.

The right answer for feature length animation is probably somewhere closer to the middle between the two.
Which is one of the major reasons that the third Spider-Verse film is indefinitely delayed.

And Illumination is the "cheap and basic" animation studio. Their animation is, intentionally, nowhere near the level of Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks. They're the Hanna-Barbera of CGI. It has its place, but its place shouldn't be at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom