Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

celluloid

After reading this board, it sounds like many believe Disney hates Middle America. That can’t be great news for Disney.

I think they mean Middle Class. Even worse, the Upper Class have a large sect that are not fans anymore and the lower class can't afford it most of their product or services.

A bad spot to be in all around.

Making great content that does not rest on laurels more consistently would be a great start.

DisneyHead123

A recent Rasmussen poll from October found that:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 51% of American Adults view the Disney entertainment corporation favorably, including 22% who have a Very Favorable impression. Forty percent (40%) have an unfavorable opinion of Disney, including 21% with a Very Unfavorable impression.

If those results are reliable, I do think brand perception could be a part of Disney’s recent box office woes. Not the only part, but a part.

CinematicFusion

I think they mean Middle Class. Even worse, the Upper Class have a large sect that are not fans anymore and the lower class can't afford it most of their product or services.

A bad spot to be in all around.

Making great content that does not rest on laurels more consistently would be a great start.
is it me or are the recent stories and characters just not as relatable, interesting. My girls loved Disney back in 2019 and since then have slowly faded away from Disney. I cancelled Disney plus and no one cared. I lost interest in Star Wars after Last Jedi.
We still love the parks but yes, they are super expensive.
Maybe at age 11, the girls have grown up and don’t care about Disney animation anymore.

mickEblu

A recent Rasmussen poll from October found that:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 51% of American Adults view the Disney entertainment corporation favorably, including 22% who have a Very Favorable impression. Forty percent (40%) have an unfavorable opinion of Disney, including 21% with a Very Unfavorable impression.

If those results are reliable, I do think brand perception could be a part of Disney’s recent box office woes. Not the only part, but a part.

Seems like a perfect storm for Disney between this and more people ditching theaters for streaming. They also didn’t do themselves any favors training people to wait 30 days to watch brand new movies on Disney + and spending $300 million on these movies. So can you really call something a perfect storm if it was mostly your doing?

TP2000

Monday morning quarterbacking from the media kicking in today over Wish bombing hugely at the Thanksgiving box office.

The media seem to be catching on to what some of us here have been saying for six months or more; Disney has a huge problem on its hands and after 10 successive box office flops in a row in one year, something has to change.

Jedijax719

GOTG3 was NOT a flop-not even close. Neither was Elemental which made a LOT more than any animated Disney film since the pandemic. So, @TP2000 what were the 10 flops in a row?

CinematicFusion

GOTG3 was NOT a flop-not even close. Neither was Elemental which made a LOT more than any animated Disney film since the pandemic. So, @TP2000 what were the 10 flops in a row?

Grosses​

DOMESTIC (31.1%)
$154,426,697
INTERNATIONAL (68.9%)
$341,425,290
WORLDWIDE
$495,851,987

495 million total isn’t a screaming success for Elemental either with 200 mill budget and 100 mill marketing. Disney takes in 40% overseas in tickets sales. 50/55% US.
Disney made between 78-90 million on movie.

So made more then break even but not the billion dollar event picks like Mario and Barbie

CinematicFusion

I
I would argue that Mermaid, while a disappointment, wasn’t a flop either.
with a budget of $250 million and $140 million in global marketing spend, The Little Mermaid hasn't earned back nearly as much as other Disney live actions, such as The Lion King and Aladdin

Grosses​

DOMESTIC (52.3%)
$298,172,056
INTERNATIONAL (47.7%)
$271,454,233
WORLDWIDE
$569,626,289

So Mermaid also made between 70-95 million for Disney.

LittleBuford

I

with a budget of $250 million and $140 million in global marketing spend, The Little Mermaid hasn't earned back nearly as much as other Disney live actions, such as The Lion King and Aladdin

Grosses​

DOMESTIC (52.3%)
$298,172,056
INTERNATIONAL (47.7%)
$271,454,233
WORLDWIDE
$569,626,289

So Mermaid also made between 70-95 million for Disney.
Again, I would call that a disappointment rather than a flop. It’s the sixth top-grossing film of the year.

Chi84

Premium Member
Every action has a reaction. Disney has proudly and openly alienated its own global customer base that it has meticulously built over a century.

It’s just sad to watch this company commit brand suicide in slow motion.

Universal must just be laughing and lighting cigars at this company’s inept management all while they escape unscathed from all of these “important” issues and controversies that Disney feels compelled to step in.

Oh, and before anybody dismisses that brand poll, Disney touted that Harris poll in their shareholder communications when they were at the top - now, not so much.
It’s going to take time for any adjustments to be made. Maybe we can check back in a year or so to see if Disney is making the kind of movies you like or has gone out of business. In the meantime all this is just noise.

crispy

Ultimately, there is no one cause why this movie and most of Disney's offerings failed in 2023. I think all of these factors converged to create the perfect storm for Disney. Whatever the reason, the overall results are disastrous. And because there are multiple reasons, it won't be easy to fix.

My kids are now teens, and they have no interest in seeing Wish. We are a family that loves musicals and musical theater, but both kids said they don't like the songs they've heard. My kids will still go see an animated film if they find it interesting- they went to see the Minions last year. My youngest and her friends went to see the new Hunger Games movie this weekend even though they were in preschool when that series debuted. I was surprised they were so into it.

TP2000

Not just a disastrous domestic start, if the number below holds, that would mean Wish opened in Mexico at only 10% of Mario just a few months ago.

“China leads the international pack for Wish with an estimated $3.5m, ahead of UK/Ireland ($3.0m), Mexico ($2.1m) and Spain ($1.5m)”

That's very surprising about Mexico. Yet falls in line with the truly miserable overseas numbers Wish is getting everywhere.

So in Mexico, where a great many people have Spanish ancestry and/or personal connections to Spain and its culture, Wish only did 10% of the box office that Super Mario Bros. did a few months ago? And Spain itself is even worse?!?

So far, the very small audience Wish has pulled in has been almost exclusively middle-class Americans in the suburbs. Foreigners don't seem to care for Disney's 100th Anniversary family animation offering at all. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom