Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

bdearl41

Good luck finding prices like that now. With a shortage on planes and pilots and fuel prices skyrocketing, it's next to impossible to find anything close to those rates nowadays.

This is true, for my flight last summer into Milan and out of Paris with a flight from Milan to Marseilles in it cost my wife and I about 1100 each. Prices have gone up a lot. the mid 2000's was when flights were great. However, we flew into and out of Dublin for 396 a person back over new years long weekend two years ago.

Goofyernmost

When in College I went on a College sponsored trip to Europe. One day shy of two weeks! We flew from Montreal to Lisbon, to Madrid, to Venice, to Rome, To Paris, to London, to New York City, to Montreal. The entire trip including airfare, hotels, two meals a day, daily guided tours including entry to all the sites we went to usually with "luxury buses" was $550.00. Can you imagine how little per flight that would have worked out to be. Of course, it was 1967, but still. $550.00 was hard to come by back then but I am soooo happy that I took advantage of it. Just to Rome alone now is over $3000.00 for about one week. No frills.

Bloopers

When in College I went on a College sponsored trip to Europe. One day shy of two weeks! We flew from Montreal to Lisbon, to Madrid, to Venice, to Rome, To Paris, to London, to New York City, to Montreal. The entire trip including airfare, hotels, two meals a day, daily guided tours including entry to all the sites we went to usually with "luxury buses" was $550.00. Can you imagine how little per flight that would have worked out to be. Of course, it was 1967, but still. $550.00 was hard to come by back then but I am soooo happy that I took advantage of it. Just to Rome alone now is over $3000.00 for about one week. No frills.

Holy. That's one trip I'd love to go on. I don't care if I have to take out loans, I'm definitely planning one for after graduation.

Goofyernmost

So Disney would lose guests if they added more rides like ToT?

No...but the just of this discussion isn't really about rides like ToT. To the real "thrill" enthusiast ToT is a kiddie ride. They have low key attractions like RnRc, Big Thunder and Space Mtn. that are small enough to be housed within a theme. They have a ride at Dollywood called Mystery Mine that at the lower end is themed pretty well, but most of it consists of towering loops and high spots the are all outside and look like a plain old metal roller coaster. Once it leaves the lower levels the theme goes out the window and all you are left with is Six Flags. That is something that Disney, if it is to keep it's uniqueness, cannot do. If they do they will be just another park and the things that made it great will no longer exist. Save the thrill rides for the parks that are thrill ride parks. Universal Florida (IOA) were able to get away with it because they didn't have any other expectations to live up too. Disney doesn't have that luxury.

Disneyhead'71

I have designed an attraction that is as themed as anything that Disney has ever built, and is more extreme than ANYTHIING at Cedar Point. This thing would be " your pants" scary AND true Disney Quality.

dmarino1231

I think that a 'Big Kids' thrill ride park as a Villain park would do well. Leave MK, DHS, AK & Epcot alone ... they are expertly designed for the entire family. Now a Villain park would cater specifically to the adrenaline junkies that go to Six Flags-type parks. I live in the Tampa, FL area and have had the opportunity to ride all that the formerly-Busch parks have to offer. I am an annual ticket holder for both WDW and Universal. The concepts in the Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey and the Transformers ride are outstanding, but they're more or less simulator rides. Busch Gardens Tampa has some of the best roller coasters in the area.

Take the concept of Space Mountain, the immersing video technology of Harry Potter/Transformers and the roller coaster design themes (Montu or Kumba for example) add some Disney Magic and boom ... you've got an awesome coaster experience, in the dark with a villain theme.

In a different park all together, there would be no worry about alienating the little ones; there are parks designed for them.

FettFan

Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.

HakunaMatata89

really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going.

no need to deal with haunted hotels my friend!

pro-v-juicer-juice-extractor-juice-machine.jpg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.

What is Rock n Roller Coaster? Star Tours? Heck, even L!M!A! stunts get me going..

Dinosaur? Expedition Everest? Primevil Whirl? Kali River Rapids?
Space Mountain? Splash Mountain? Thunder Mountain?

I honestly think Disney has just the right amount of thrill rides to blend in with all other genres in their parks... With the exception being EPCOT. I think Disney evens out the rides perfectly well. (disregard kiddie rides , there's obviously going to be thousands of toddlers)

Also Disney has to play to their main audience: Families. I wouldn't include Tower of Terror or Aerosmith family rides, so frankly, i'm quite shocked they even made it in the parks in the first place.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The simple answer is yes. They need more thrill rides. However, they do not have a park that they fit in properly. They own enough movies and rights that they can create a separate theme park for thrill rides alone.

No. No more theme parks. No. |:

BigTxEars

I am fine with more or not, I can see the benefit to either.

But if I had to vote I would vote no, I rather have more relaxing rides added, ones with just a hint of thrills. I think on the order of 7DMT is a great mix.

I do love ToT and RnRC though :)

You can always just look inside your wallet or you know check your credit card(s) balance at the end of your trip if you really want to get a good jolt and your juices flowing. (Insert simple Mickey chuckle here).

Fox&Hound

Well, I don't know what you mean by "big kid". Do you mean that literally...like for teenagers (big kids) or do you mean for adults who are "kid at heart"?

Personally, I think there is a difference between the two...and I also think that Disney should build at least one E-ticket ride that would appeal to each group. My suggestions are:

A. Maleficent Coaster: in Fantasyland, on land reclaimed from demolishing the Speedway. Make this one for teens...and theme it as Prince Phillip racing through the thorn forest and ruins and battling the Maleficent dragon. Include lots of fire special effects in greens and yellows like in the movie, with that haunting score. The queue would be themed as a forest of thorns and the show building would have Maleficent's castle at the top.

B. Time Travel Coaster: in Tomorrowland, on the other half of land reclaimed from the demolished Speedway. Have this one be for older teens/adults (kids at heart) and have it be more intense than Space Mountain...with the theme being that it's a rocket that travels through time and you skip through different eras before rocketing to another one. Early life on Earth. Dinosaur age. Asteroid impact. Ice Age. Wild West. Distant Future. What's fun about this is that you could do a little homage to all the lands of WDW in just one ride (especially if you had a medieval pit stop in there). Theme the queue area like it's a research center where all the relics being collected from this time traveling are being examined so that guests will get more insight into the time periods they'll be traveling through before they ride the ride (so have display cases showing artifacts...and also have animatronics or video renderings of the animals that were found in those time periods).

C. Tron Coaster: Also for Tomorrowland, if the time machine idea is not good enough. This would be for older teens/adults and would be like you were zapped into the Tron game.

D. Adventurer's Club E-Ticket: Not a coaster, but something that would make you feel like you were on an adventure with the Adventurer's Club in Adventureland. This could be for teens. The show building would actually be built so that an Adventurer's Club Restaurant would be on the second floor or adjacent so the theme of the ride would be strengthened with the adventurers in the new club. The ride could be a mission that the club sends new recruits on...to investigate something or to capture some animal like a sabertooth cat or something from the jungle. Take the Jungle Cruise but remove the water and have it go at high speeds racing through jungles on the hunt for something, and have mythical animals be leaping out and scaring you the whole time.

E. Rapunzel Runaway Mine Car: There's a scene in Tangled where they have just left the Snuggly Duckling and end up in a cave...and then they get pushed out by water and end up in an area with mine cars and tracks...that can be expanded into a Rapunzel ride. Not sure where they would put it though because the Tangled bathroom area has no room for a ride like this. But to me it seems like a nice bridge between Fantasyland and Frontierland. When I watched Tangled I thought about that...because it was like the Rapunzel and Flynn characters left Fantasyland (the Snuggly Duckling) and then crawled through Frontierland-like tunnels and ended up in a desert looking area like the old West/Thunder Mountain. Too bad the entrance to a ride like this can't be built in Fantasyland next to a real Snuggly Duckling and then the show building would spit you out in Frontierland near Thunder Mountain somehow, using all that wooded land that's along the Rivers of America. I personally think it would be very cool to be deposited in a whole other land when we left the ride...but I wonder if that would be too disorienting for people who would be waiting for their friends to get off the ride and they'd be surprised that the ride deposited them on another side of the park.

I love thinking up new ideas for rides. I wish I had the know-how to be an Imagineer. My husband loves building model trains and I've tried here and there to get him to make one that's based on an idea of mine for a ride but he's never interested in doing this. He has his hobby (the trains) and I have mine (armchair imagineering!).

I looooooooooooooove your sleeping beauty ride idea! I could see it working at AK too.

Redsky89

I don't see it happening. Rock'n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror are as nutty as its gonna get at Disney. I've been to other big theme parks and rode some pretty terrifying coasters but honestly getting on Space Mountain gets me hyped every time. I look at it not from the viewpoint of how many corkscrews and flips I do but the ride, theme, music, and atmosphere of everything to get me excited.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'd kill for some more big thrills too.

Disney coasters are kiddie coasters.

Er....well I am certainly not a kiddie but BTM is exactly what I want in a coaster....the only thing that would make it better would be it's being twice as long! ;) It's enough thrill for me hands down. Going to Disney is still a thrill in itself for me period. Expedition Everest is decent too for thrilldom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom