Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

captainmoch

I really don't understand why when people say "It would be cool if Disney had more thrill rides!", some Disney fans hear that as "I think Disney should bulldoze their classic attractions and build 300 feet tall bare rollercoasters" and say "Just go to Six Flags!". There's a difference between wanting a few more top notch ToT-esque thrilling experiences and wanting generic unthemed rollercoasters.

UpAllNight

As provided as an example previously, space mountain in Paris is more of a 'thrill ride' yet maintains great theming and exists in a fabulous family oriented park. I would never ever advocate Disney sticking up a barely themed (hopefully soon to be massively upgraded) B&M coaster like Hulk...but they could do a lot more within the remit of providing themed thrills.

I think some people think the standard family who visits Disney has young Children....it's often the case, but there is a very large market of people who love Disney but don't have children, or are teens and young adults who travel without children, or families that have grown up on Disney but now require something a little extra. I personally know 5 families who have travelled to Disney from the UK this summer, and only 1 has a young child.

Too simple to say go up the road and visit Universal (a lot of people are as well as visiting Disney) when there's a crowd craving something Disney aren't giving them yet they sooooo desperately want.

POLY LOVER

Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.

Rock -n-roll roller coaster doesn't do it for you?

wdwfan4ver

I think some people think the standard family who visits Disney has young Children....it's often the case, but there is a very large market of people who love Disney but don't have children, or are teens and young adults who travel without children, or families that have grown up on Disney but now require something a little extra. I personally know 5 families who have travelled to Disney from the UK this summer, and only 1 has a young child.
There is one thing you have to keep in mind with adults. Not all adults can do stuff like Rock'n' rollercoaster due to medical problems or medical procedures done in the past like Triple Bypass surgery. When Adults are in their 40's, 50's or 60's it is very possible for some of them to have serious medical conditions to show up like a bad heart. A couple I know outside of the internet matter love going to WDW, but can't go on stuff like Tower of Terror, Star Tours and other thrill rides anymore due to medical conditions they have like a bad heart, bad back as examples.

From my own experience, my body can't handle some thrill rides as it used to either. Even before than, I don't do a lot of thrill rides. My limit doing Coasters prior to my body not handling some thrill rides was up to Expedition Everest. I never really wanted to do Rock'n' Roller coaster due to the launch and going upside down.

I am sure there are more people out there than the Husband and Wife or my self I mentioned that can't handle extreme thrill rides anymore.

The best way to handle what I mentioned is having Disney doing some non thrill rides, but also do some thrill rides.

Last edited:

cheezbat

You've got Mission Space,Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Expedition Everest. Those I classify as legitimate thrill rides.

I do wish each park had at least three or four rides like that though. Magic Kingdom doesn't have any rides I would truly classify as true thrill. Space and Splash are probably the closest things, but those are equivalent to a standard log flume and wild mouse coaster ride classification...which is just mildly thrilling.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Remember Walts vision was a park that the whole family could ride attractions together. I think that is one of the big reasons I like Disney. I,m not a super thrill ride person.

I don't think this was ever his intention. His idea was a park where there were things for the whole family to do, but that didn't mean every ride has to be suitable for everyone. The story is that he got this idea while sitting on a bench watching his daughter on a carousel, and yet one of the first rides at Disneyland was a carousel.

captainmoch

Remember Walts vision was a park that the whole family could ride attractions together. I think that is one of the big reasons I like Disney. I,m not a super thrill ride person.
What about families where everyone is old enough to ride thrill rides and enjoys them? Those certainly exist.

muse1983

All are nice rides but be honest are u extremely thrilled from them? answer is NO. They are entertaining but I haven't gotten off them saying holy **** that was insane. 1 holy **** ride would be nice that's all. I love Disney but I know I'm not the only one that thinks it needs one like that to top them off.
I believe you may be someone who doesn't "get" WDW. Universal is only 10-15 minutes away from the park sir ;)

stargrl33

I love thrill rides - the higher and faster the drops are, the better. BUT, I love Disney themed rides just as much. Sometimes I wish there were some more intense thrills at Disney but it doesn't break my heart. Realistically speaking, you just can't theme the big thrill rides very well. They won't fit in a show building. I guess you could come up with a decent back story for a thrill ride and have some sort of "pre-show" before boarding, but in my experience, a large percentage of thrill seekers won't care and will talk through the whole thing. Once the ride starts, it will likely be going way too fast for the guest to appreciate any landscaping or props. And slapping a coat of paint on a roller coaster to match a superhero's costume doesn't equal a theme, IMO.

I'm sure that there is some way for Disney to build an awesomely themed extreme thrill ride - not sure if they'll ever want to, however, due to the various reasons others have already stated. Oh well.

If youre upset Disney isnt Cedar Point or Six Flags lite....dont go. Ppl who want intense rides at Disney are going for the wrong reasons.
Ahem, no.

I don't go to Disney just for the thrill rides
I'm saying that there needs to be more balance. They would make more money if they appeared to more audiences and they could do SOOOO much with thrill rides

Walt Disney1955

Was at Disney for 8 days recently. Don't get me wrong I love it there but is it me or do they need a couple of rides that really get the juices going for the big kids? I found myself getting on tower of terror multiple time just to get the juices going. Hopefully they will build some more in the future cause after walking around all over and watching all those shows u need something to get u going.

Walt was against rollercoaster in his parks. He didn't want them to be like the regular amusement parks/carnivals. He wanted his park to be different. He eventually agreed to Matterhorn, which he liked. After his passing over the next decade they added Space and Thunder. I don't know what he'd think about them, but they are obviously popular and at least have the theming to them.

But even now, a rollercoaster is out of place at Disney in so many ways. I myself am a pretty big thrill junkie too, but there is something to be said for the atmosphere of Disney as an experience, and not just a way to get your thrills juicing. Even at Universal the Hollywood Rock it coaster is just so out of place in a park that is supposed to specifically be themed as a movie lot. It can work, but it is so obtrusive.

EnergyKing

But a lot of rides at the moment are NOT "fun for all ages." Buzz Lightyear, Stitch, Barnstormer (a rollercoaster, yikes), the new figment, MOnsters Inc, new mermaid, !Mission:Space! (which continues to exist for some reason), magic carpets, etc.

Putting in a few imaginative thrill rides for the demographic w/o kids is not going to destroy "Walt's" vision. Especially since many families that visit are age appropriate to ride such rides. If Mission Space (arguably a torture device) can be built, why not something at least good?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If someone wants a load of inertia based attractions without risk then they should go elsewhere, just because they don't reach Disney level of themeing isn't everyone else's problem.

I use to jump out of planes loaded for combat for a living, it's not safe by any means but amusement park thrill rides are tame in comparison.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Disney doesn't really need any more thrill rides. Might they build a few....sure. But Disney would rather build an Olaf dark ride before a Country Coaster featuring Taylor Swift.

There are a lot of threads around here that scream Disney vs UNI, thrill ride vs dark ride, on and on and on.

The reality of it all is that 14 to 27 is just not Disney's market. 2-13 and 28 until the day you die .. Is.

There's more money in it that way. Not a lot of expendable income from a 24 year old who wants to stay at the $50 a night off-site hotel, go into a park to ride a few coasters, and grab dinner at a TGI Fridays.

Disney wants the 36 year old who has budgeted for his family vacation taking his wife, 7 year old daughter and 9 year old son....so they can experience a couple of character meals, a lot of dark rides, and a few thrill rides....and they will experience this once a year or several times a year.

Now what will happen is that Disney will lose that 7 and 9 year old when they hit their mid teens. But once that 7 and 9 year old grow up, become responsible, and have a family of their own.....where do you think they will take their 4 and 5 year old children?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom