Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

Disneyhead'71

DLP is the most attended tourist attraction in Europe. Over expansion of the hotels in the beginning and financial mismanagement are their problems. Not the fact that they have 3 roller coasters. That's just absurd.

And my golly are you guys arrogant and insulting. Which seems pretty typical of the Disney fan base.

Last edited:

EnergyKing

ok, TOT is a ride that disturbed my gf. She loves rollercoasters all day and shudders to think of going on TOT again.

I love rollercoasters but you couldn't pay me to go on Mission: Space again.

Neither of those two rides are rollercoasters.

Oh my, EE and RNRC are rollercoasters...and people like them!

I don't see what the problem is. Does rollercoaster equal bad? Have people forgotten what rollercoasters are? Is Mission:Space a family friendly ride, the kind Walt was thinking of? Is TOT a walk in the park?

Last edited:

righttrack

You guys realize the whole family can ride thrill rides, right? There is 7-8+ year olds who can ride and enjoy big coasters, along with teens/adults. Just saying. :angelic:

Of course they can, but you won't see many rides that fit that bill. Just go to any Six Flags and you'll see what I mean. Participation, from all members of the family ages 6-60 and all sizes and shapes is what makes Disney special. You don't get that kind of participation in any other park. I don't go on rides at Six Flags, I watch my kids go on them. So do most of the people my age.

Disneyhead'71

Of course they can, but you won't see many rides that fit that bill. Just go to any Six Flags and you'll see what I mean. Participation, from all members of the family ages 6-60 and all sizes and shapes is what makes Disney special. You don't get that kind of participation in any other park. I don't go on rides at Six Flags, I watch my kids go on them. So do most of the people my age.
Just curious, how old are you?

TXDisney

The part that makes wdw so special is it caters to all ages. I think they have a good mixture of kid rides and thrill rides. Rocking roller coaster, ToT, Everest, Space Mountain are really the only thrill rides they have. But a lot of there other rides like splash mountain, dinosaur, mission soace, thunder mountain, mine train cater to the groups that don't love thrill but don't like little kid rides also. I wouldn't mind a good thrill ride at Epcot though. A view of WS from up high would be cool

Disneyhead'71

A thrill ride doesn't need to be fast or tall. Kong will be an extremely intense experience and it will go slow and have a very low height restriction. Combined with great theming.

Now, I'm not suggesting that Disney build something as intense as Kong, but stuff more mature than TSMM and Laugh Floor would be appreciated.

Goofyernmost

DCA, although part of Disney, is not Disneyland. They built the theme to be an amusement park like Coney Island or a like destination. That was the theme. You don't see that in Disneyland itself do you? The bigger the coaster, the higher the coaster, the more difficult it is to theme it in any comprehensive form. That is not what Disney does. That is not what made Disney the theme parks that they are. Put those in and the entire atmosphere is altered. There are plenty of other venues where one can quench their need for an adrenaline rush. Disneylands/worlds do not need to be those parks. You talk about people starting to say... hey, that is just like six flags, well, that is exactly what it will be. It's the same as the reason why they make a Ford Focus and at the same time someone else makes a Cadillac Escalade. It's so people can have a choice, it's not to make every park a rubber stamp of another. Disney offers what it offers, other offer something different. If Disney doesn't fill a need then one needs to go where that need gets satisfied.
I quoted myself just to add this note.

Isn't it amazing that they were able to put an actual amusement park in a themed area that everyone thinks is great out in California, whereas, when they tried to do the same thing in Dinoland, look at the negativity that it stirred up. Sometimes I think that they need to put signs up to explain, to those that are not able to figure it out, the reasons and intents of all their actions and, more importantly, the some what hidden theme.

Who cares? Those coasters with the inversions obviously aren't keeping them there if DLP has been losing money over the years.
Well one is even in the USA. So it's not that one. Just why is it bad to have roller coasters?? Why should they not have more roller coasters? Do you even like roller coasters? Because I guarantee a lot of people would be happy with the park adding a high thrill roller coaster

The Empress Lilly

Isn't it amazing that they were able to put an actual amusement park in a themed area that everyone thinks is great out in California, whereas, when they tried to do the same thing in Dinoland, look at the negativity that it stirred up. Sometimes I think that they need to put signs up to explain, to those that are not able to figure it out, the reasons and intents of all their actions and, more importantly, the some what hidden theme.
DCA 1.0 was rubbished for cheap, mistaken themeing.

lunchbox1175

And they wouldnt have to stop that. Disney can do magic better than anyone if they want. Just look at Everest & tower of terror, both have nice thrills and both are pretty magical if you ask me. So I guess I dont get whats so wrong about wanting a few more thrill rides from a company that can give the best of both sides, magic and thrills. Seems like a win win in my book. Don't get me wrong though, thrill rides should never dominate what Disney does. It should only compliment it.
I agree here whole heartedly....if you are trying to offer something for everyone, then you need to have a broader spectrum of rides. In 1985, I was 10 years old and Space Mountain was a top tier thrilling ride, but people have evolved over the last 20 years. When my kids were 8, they thought Space was boring and not thrilling enough, so its not just about having rides that are for "big kids". Now we have bungee jumping and base jumping and all kinds of xtreme sports that would have been thought unheard of back when I was a kid. Disney will always try to evolve with the times and try to stay balanced to who they are from providing a "magical family experience", but there is no reason why they can't add additional well themed rides that are more thrilling. They have shown that they are still trying to build upon the family experience with 7DMTR and the new ToyStoryLand addition coming up, but ultimately, it is the adults that spend their money at Disney so it would be nice if they had a few rides that weren't really kid friendly.

The Empress Lilly

Then why does the two Disney parks in Paris have a total amount of THREE coasters with inversions??? Why can't they have that amount of coasters with inversions in WDW? Do you view the Disney parks in Paris as a six flags style park? The two parks in Paris have more coasters with inversions than all six Disney parks in the USA combined!!!
One of the reasons I do go to DLP is because I can ride five actual coasters. Within walking distance. All before lunch.

So much better than that kiddie koaster kingdom they've turned WDW into.

righttrack

I think Dinoland was a mistake because it was poorly executed. The concept isn't bad, it's just that what they intended didn't seem to catch fire. It needed loud music, barkers, etc. Disney is typically laid out like a pie. You sit at the middle of the pie and look at the attractions from that small front point for each, and they balloon outward as you go further back into their ride buildings. In an amusement park, you can walk around 360 degrees. Dinoland needed more rides and more noise. It just always looked like a sad carnival. California Adventure is a much better layout and the ride choices are much better and more original. You can't take a canned spinning mouse coaster, a Dumbo clone and a really great ride like Dinosaur and make a land out of it.

bpadair32

Well one is even in the USA. So it's not that one. Just why is it bad to have roller coasters?? Why should they not have more roller coasters? Do you even like roller coasters? Because I guarantee a lot of people would be happy with the park adding a high thrill roller coaster

I don't think it needs a high thrill roller coaster. It has plenty of different types of rides to cater to all kinds of guests. Disney is far more about the experience than the thrills, and I think seeing a giant Cedar Point-esque coaster in the middle of the park would kill some of that experience. It would also take away room from other things that can be enjoyed by a lot more people than a high thrill coaster could. Disney is about catering to families and people that like the magical experience. it is not interested in being 6 Flags.

Goofyernmost

DCA 1.0 was rubbished for cheap, mistaken themeing.
Yet, that part remains for the most part and it took changing the rest of the park to become popular. That tells me that the Seaside amusement park wasn't the part that was out of theme in that park.

One of the reasons I do go to DLP is because I can ride five actual coasters. Within walking distance. All before lunch.

So much better than that kiddie koaster kingdom they've turned WDW into.
Sure, but you alone do not support DLP. It takes the draw that Disney was famous for, not the gut wrenching coasters. It takes things that people can relate too. Europe, probably, had enough of that kind of life during the World Wars to be needing anymore adrenaline injections.
I think Dinoland was a mistake because it was poorly executed. The concept isn't bad, it's just that what they intended didn't seem to catch fire. It needed loud music, barkers, etc. Disney is typically laid out like a pie. You sit at the middle of the pie and look at the attractions from that small front point for each, and they balloon outward as you go further back into their ride buildings. In an amusement park, you can walk around 360 degrees. Dinoland needed more rides and more noise. It just always looked like a sad carnival. California Adventure is a much better layout and the ride choices are much better and more original. You can't take a canned spinning mouse coaster, a Dumbo clone and a really great ride like Dinosaur and make a land out of it.
You can if the whole backstory is that this was a local, tourist trap, designed by it's owners to extract cash from tourists that came to see the Dinosaur discovery. Something that was thrown together strictly, by locals, for the purpose of taking financial advantage of the people coming into the area. That is the theme that everyone misses in their mistaken attempt to make Disney live up to quality standards. The fact is that they stayed with the theme and everyone just plain misses it. Do I have any desire to participate in it. No! Not anymore then I was tempted to ride the carnival swings at DCA. I do, however, appreciate how cheesy it is intentionally meant to look like.

The Empress Lilly

Yet, that part remains for the most part and it took changing the rest of the park to become popular. That tells me that the Seaside amusement park wasn't the part that was out of theme in that park.
Iger spend a boatload of money to fix Paradise Pier from abysmal to mediocre.

Sure, but you alone do not support DLP. It takes the draw that Disney was famous for, not the gut wrenching coasters. It takes things that people can relate too. Europe, probably, had enough of that kind of life during the World Wars to be needing anymore adrenaline injections.
Space Mountain, when it opened three years after DLP, is credited with making the park a complete, full day destination. ToT did the same for WDSP, but that park's most popular ride (to my observation) is, or was before Rat, Crush's Coaster.

WWII was not an amusement park roller coaster ride.

You can if the whole backstory is that this was a local, tourist trap, designed by it's owners to extract cash from tourists that came to see the Dinosaur discovery. Something that was thrown together strictly, by locals, for the purpose of taking financial advantage of the people coming into the area. That is the theme that everyone misses in their mistaken attempt to make Disney live up to quality standards. The fact is that they stayed with the theme and everyone just plain misses it. Do I have any desire to participate in it. No! Not anymore then I was tempted to ride the carnival swings at DCA. I do, however, appreciate how cheesy it is intentionally meant to look like.
"Do I have any desire to participate in it. No!"

Indeed.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

You're still missing the point. I love roller coasters but I know why Disney doesn't build the biggest and the fastest to appease the minority. I've got nothing left to say on this.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom