Will WDW ever build Big kid thrill rides?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Disney doesn't really need any more thrill rides.

Now what will happen is that Disney will lose that 7 and 9 year old when they hit their mid teens. But once that 7 and 9 year old grow up, become responsible, and have a family of their own.....where do you think they will take their 4 and 5 year old children?

Halloween horror nights so they'll be scarred for life :)

No...but the just of this discussion isn't really about rides like ToT. To the real "thrill" enthusiast ToT is a kiddie ride. They have low key attractions like RnRc, Big Thunder and Space Mtn. that are small enough to be housed within a theme. They have a ride at Dollywood called Mystery Mine that at the lower end is themed pretty well, but most of it consists of towering loops and high spots the are all outside and look like a plain old metal roller coaster. Once it leaves the lower levels the theme goes out the window and all you are left with is Six Flags. That is something that Disney, if it is to keep it's uniqueness, cannot do. If they do they will be just another park and the things that made it great will no longer exist. Save the thrill rides for the parks that are thrill ride parks. Universal Florida (IOA) were able to get away with it because they didn't have any other expectations to live up too. Disney doesn't have that luxury.
Wait, why can't they theme roller coasters? Like Everest? I mean heck, they could put it a Buzz Lightear Flying coaster and make the passengers feel like they're in the first movie. Where buzz is falling with style to get back to Andy? They could do great things with roller coasters. Even if they can't, then why is California Screamin at Disneys California Adventure? That has very little theming compared to rockin roller coaster and yet it's still a long good roller coaster

Goofyernmost

Wait, why can't they theme roller coasters? Like Everest? I mean heck, they could put it a Buzz Lightear Flying coaster and make the passengers feel like they're in the first movie. Where buzz is falling with style to get back to Andy? They could do great things with roller coasters. Even if they can't, then why is California Screamin at Disneys California Adventure? That has very little theming compared to rockin roller coaster and yet it's still a long good roller coaster
DCA, although part of Disney, is not Disneyland. They built the theme to be an amusement park like Coney Island or a like destination. That was the theme. You don't see that in Disneyland itself do you? The bigger the coaster, the higher the coaster, the more difficult it is to theme it in any comprehensive form. That is not what Disney does. That is not what made Disney the theme parks that they are. Put those in and the entire atmosphere is altered. There are plenty of other venues where one can quench their need for an adrenaline rush. Disneylands/worlds do not need to be those parks. You talk about people starting to say... hey, that is just like six flags, well, that is exactly what it will be. It's the same as the reason why they make a Ford Focus and at the same time someone else makes a Cadillac Escalade. It's so people can have a choice, it's not to make every park a rubber stamp of another. Disney offers what it offers, other offer something different. If Disney doesn't fill a need then one needs to go where that need gets satisfied.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Again, cause its not Six Flags or a park like that.

DCA, although part of Disney, is not Disneyland. They built the theme to be an amusement park like Coney Island or a like destination. That was the theme. You don't see that in Disneyland itself do you? The bigger the coaster, the higher the coaster, the more difficult it is to theme it in any comprehensive form. That is not what Disney does. That is not what made Disney the theme parks that they are. Put those in and the entire atmosphere is altered. There are plenty of other venues where one can quench their need for an adrenaline rush. Disneylands/worlds do not need to be those parks. You talk about people starting to say... hey, that is just like six flags, well, that is exactly what it will be. It's the same as the reason why they make a Ford Focus and at the same time someone else makes a Cadillac Escalade. It's so people can have a choice, it's not to make every park a rubber stamp of another. Disney offers what it offers, other offer something different. If Disney doesn't fill a need then one needs to go where that need gets satisfied.

Again, cause its not Six Flags or a park like that.

Then why does the two Disney parks in Paris have a total amount of THREE coasters with inversions??? Why can't they have that amount of coasters with inversions in WDW? Do you view the Disney parks in Paris as a six flags style park? The two parks in Paris have more coasters with inversions than all six Disney parks in the USA combined!!!

Goofyernmost

Then why does the two Disney parks in Paris have a total amount of THREE coasters with inversions??? Why can't they have that amount of coasters with inversions in WDW? Do you view the Disney parks in Paris as a six flags style park? The two parks in Paris have more coasters with inversions than all six Disney parks in the USA combined!!!
You might also include the question... Why is Disney having to constantly bail Paris out because it isn't doing enough business to pay it's own way? or Why do people that live in Europe spends massive amounts of money to come to the states to get their Disney fix when they have one right there? I think the answer would be because it isn't what they want out of a Disney Park.

righttrack

There is an expectation at WDW that the ride will accommodate most guests. 6-60, all heights, weights, shapes etc. Nobody does this better. Why change?

When you go to Six Flags you see teenagers and people in their 20s on all the rides. You see the people who accompany them -- bored. A lot of times you'll see those people in their teens and 20s at the park by themselves. You don't go on vacation to Six Flags. WDW is a resort vacation, taken typically one week at a time. Different animal. All guests are to be entertained and can stay together rather than separate.

You might also include the question... Why is Disney having to constantly bail Paris out because it isn't doing enough business to pay it's own way? or Why do people that live in Europe spends massive amounts of money to come to the states to get their Disney fix when they have one right there? I think the answer would be because it isn't what they want out of a Disney Park.
People in Paris come to the Disney parks within the USA because they are the originals. What if Disneyland Paris was built first? Which park would be more popular if Disneyland Paris was built before any of the US parks?

MickeyMomV

I went to Disney for the first time when I was 21. In the last 14 years since, I have been on 10 trips and have spent a total of about 63 to 65 days in the parks. In that same time we spent a total of about 6 to 7 hours at Universal. The only reason for the Universal trip was to see the "new" Harry Potter area. For us its all about the theming. If I want simple roller coasters that have no function but to go fast I will go to Cedar Point as its only 3-4 hours away from us and is a ton cheaper!! To us Universal is the Cedar Point of the southeast United States. Hardly anybody goes on vacation to Universal. They visit Universal while on vacation to WDW. Disney needs to stay in the "theme" park business and let the other guys worry about who has the fastest, highest, most extreme coasters.

On a side note if Universal did their whole park like they did HP they might give Disney a fight. The town, the ride que, the stores, and the experiences were spot on to what you would expect from Disney. The problem is they started building HP in 08 or 09 with the first part opening in 2011 and the latest part opening in late 04 or early 05? Building a themed area takes a lot of time and Universal is happy with huge medal structures that go fast and have a ride car that looks like the Hulk's fist.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
People in Paris come to the Disney parks within the USA because they are the originals. What if Disneyland Paris was built first? Which park would be more popular if Disneyland Paris was built before any of the US parks?

6 theme parks over 2. Doesn't really matter when which one was built first because there's simply more to do at the U.S. parks. WDW and DL as a whole aren't theme parks catering to thrillseekers. That's the point you're missing. They cater to FAMILIES. Like I said previously, if you're going to Disney looking for intense thrills then you're going for all the wrong reasons. If you want stuff like that, Universal, Busch Gardens and to a lesser extent, Sea World has what you're looking for.

Also Disney isn't even the majority owner of DLP....

MississippiBelle

I think you've explained it the best. When I first saw this thread, I thought "why not just build a couple of big coasters?". That way the people who aren't into thrill rides didn't have to participate and still had plenty to do. But when you bring theme into the equation, everything changes. Everest is successful because they took up a ton of space, both horizontal and vertical, to make sure that it didn't look like a steel rail from the outside or while on the ride. I am all for Disney bringing a couple more big coasters to the parks, but it will take a lot of space and time to make sure that they blend in with the "magic" of the rest of the parks. So this goes back to other side of the argument, Disney caters to families, not thrill seekers. The time and money they would have to spend to build a properly themed coaster that had more of a thrill factor that Everest or Rock-n-Roller Coaster to attract a smaller, thrill seeking audience just doesn't make sense when they could put the same time and money into another attraction that catered to the whole family. Kind of a catch-22.

I think you've explained it the best. When I first saw this thread, I thought "why not just build a couple of big coasters?". That way the people who aren't into thrill rides didn't have to participate and still had plenty to do. But when you bring theme into the equation, everything changes. Everest is successful because they took up a ton of space, both horizontal and vertical, to make sure that it didn't look like a steel rail from the outside or while on the ride. I am all for Disney bringing a couple more big coasters to the parks, but it will take a lot of space and time to make sure that they blend in with the "magic" of the rest of the parks. So this goes back to other side of the argument, Disney caters to families, not thrill seekers. The time and money they would have to spend to build a properly themed coaster that had more of a thrill factor that Everest or Rock-n-Roller Coaster to attract a smaller, thrill seeking audience just doesn't make sense when they could put the same time and money into another attraction that catered to the whole family. Kind of a catch-22.
I agree. Adding a few big coasters wouldn't take away from disneys magic

KaliSplash

I assume someone has written this, but in case they haven't. Walt wanted a park where Families could do things together. that has been a guiding principal since 1955. (And I certainly don't want to launch a "What Would Walt Do/THINK thread). But the reality is, there are certain expectations for attractions here and coming off a ride and saying Holy **** is NOT one of them. Head to Universal or Busch Gardens.

DManRightHere

All are nice rides but be honest are u extremely thrilled from them? answer is NO. They are entertaining but I haven't gotten off them saying holy **** that was insane. 1 holy **** ride would be nice that's all. I love Disney but I know I'm not the only one that thinks it needs one like that to top them off.

By those standards most parks and universal doesn't have it.

Disney also isn't big on tall attractions. They do have plenty of big kid rides, they're just overshadodewed by famy rides, which is generally the purpose of Disney. They should be getting more moderate thrill rides within the next decade.

6 theme parks over 2. Doesn't really matter when which one was built first because there's simply more to do at the U.S. parks. WDW and DL as a whole aren't theme parks catering to thrillseekers. That's the point you're missing. They cater to FAMILIES. Like I said previously, if you're going to Disney looking for intense thrills then you're going for all the wrong reasons. If you want stuff like that, Universal, Busch Gardens and to a lesser extent, Sea World has what you're looking for.

Also Disney isn't even the majority owner of DLP....

Where they when all three coasters with inversions were built

By those standards most parks and universal doesn't have it.

Disney also isn't big on tall attractions. They do have plenty of big kid rides, they're just overshadodewed by famy rides, which is generally the purpose of Disney. They should be getting more moderate thrill rides within the next decade.
Hopefully. If they got something more thrilling than Everest then I'll be very happy

captainmoch

You guys realize the whole family can ride thrill rides, right? There is 7-8+ year olds who can ride and enjoy big coasters, along with teens/adults. Just saying. :angelic:

mouse_luv

zombie-jpeg.132721

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom