Wilderness Lodge

Trinity

Hey Everybody, Just signed up and thought I would post a question. Going to DW November and cant decide if we should spend the money on Wilderness Lodge or just stay in a budget property. We keep going back and forth because how much time do you really spend in your room anyway. So should we splurge and stay in the wilderness lodge? We are not going with kids if that makes a difference in where we should stay.
:sohappy:

Jedi Osborn

I just can't seem to justify spending 200+ a night. I mean if you've got the cash and can afford it...knock yourself out. But for me, I don't spend enough time in the room for that to cost justify itself.

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

I agree. there's a breaking point where it is more fun to stay at a more expensive resort. I have stayed at the AS Movies and we did enjoy it, but we enjoyed DL and CB so much more, and they were still affordable.

Upvote 0

MattsCath

too bad CBR is down for a rehab!

Yeah, CBR is my boyfriend's fav, but I guess that gave me a pretty good excuse to book at the Wilderness Lodge!
With the prices being so low at the deluxe resorts during off season with different promo codes, don't you think that gives you a good reason to try the deluxe resorts?
Plus, isn't the location of the value resorts kind of a pain? I'm looking forward to the convenience of having nice restaurants on the property. My bf would probably prefer the economy of counter service, but oh well!:p

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

low prices are a very good reason to try the deluxe resorts. that's why we're trying the WL this trip.
You're right, the value resorts now are a bit out of the way, unless yo'ure going to AK. The new Pop Century should be a little closer. But considering I live in upstate NY, I don't mine being an extra couple miles away:)
I'm not one for sit down meals (spending time that we could be on a ride, or at least walking the park!!!)
Have you been to WL before or are you trying it for the first time too?

Upvote 0

inlovewithWDW

When you go to WDW with 2 small children, you do spend more time in the room. We try to get back to the resort in the afternoon to catch some pool/nap time before heading out for the evening.

We enjoy staying at the deluxe resorts because Epcot is our favorite park. The Boardwalk & Y&B serve all our needs very nicely.

I'm not knocking WL, we have stayed there a couple of times and have enjoyed it. But the two downturns (bus wait times & small pool) are key points for us and have swayed us towards the others.

We are hoping to get back to WDW in April of 2003, so for now I am jealous of you. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Jedi Osborn
I agree. there's a breaking point where it is more fun to stay at a more expensive resort. I have stayed at the AS Movies and we did enjoy it, but we enjoyed DL and CB so much more, and they were still affordable.

Is ASMovies really okay? It looks pretty kewl in the pics I've seen, but we really did not care for ASMusic...:(

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

inlovewithWDW
I've thought about staying at the boardwalk before, but never looked into it. I love Epcot, so it would be really cool to be so close. What did you think about it?

MattsCath
You've never been to WDW before? Oh man!!! You're going to love it. Like its said about other things, there's nothing like your first time. We go back as often as we can, and its always a wonderful magical trip, but the first time is the most amazing incredible thing ever.

cymbaldiva
We liked the ASMovies. The rooms were def smaller than we're used to, but we really enjoyed the themeing. The pool was really cool and the food court was nice. I'm even considering going back when my daughter is older. I figure she'll enjoy that hotel a little more than DL or CB.

Upvote 0

inlovewithWDW

Hi there - This is my first question directed to me!

The Boardwalk was great. We stayed on the "Inn" side and had a 'standard' view room. It faced some lovely landscaped gardens and the building for the quiet pool.
The layout of the hotel is a bit odd. We always had to walk towards the lobby to get to the boardwalk. There wasn't any direct access from our area - I guess it also kept non-guests from making their way to the grounds.
The pool was neat. The slide was fun. Although I still think the 'Storm-along Bay' at the Y&B Club is the best hotel pool. :cool:
Location, location, location is just the BEST. Easy access to Epcot and MGM can't be beat. Walking from WS directly to the hotel saved so much time.
Breakfast the The Bakery on the boardwalk was very nice every morning. I just loved sitting by the lake and having my coffee.
Of course the restaurants available to you are also great. We love Spoodles :slurp: and I have heard that Flying Fish is also good.

Sorry to ramble on about The Boardwalk on a thread about Wilderness Lodge!

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

oh, that's ok, the thread has long since departed from the Wilderness Lodge.

How do you get to the studios from boardwark. We've taken the boat before, but that seems to take a long time.

How far would you say the normal rooms are from the ESPN Club? (That's the main reason we go to the BW;)

I would love to be able to walk to the back of Epcot like that. Wonder if we should think about changing our reservations......:confused:

Thanks for the well wishes. I can't wait to go!!

Upvote 0

inlovewithWDW

There are 2 ways to get to MGM. The boat is relaxing (although can be long) or you can walk along the waterway. I haven't done the walk but I have read it can be a 20 minute stroll. It is well lit in the evenings if you have the remaining energy!

Our room was "behind" the ESPN club, but the only way to get to it was to walk towards the middle of the boardwalk and to the lobby. From there the wings branch off. If there was access, we would have walked around the ESPN club to the courtyard our room looked out to. Check out the map I attached:
http://wdwig.com/bwalk.jpg
The ESPN club is the lower left corner of the map, our room was behind it, but we had to walk to the center courtyard area to get into the hotel

It is a different atmosphere then the WL. I think the WL is a bit more "cozy" if you want that type of thing.

The only time we got on a bus was to get to MK. And seeing as the Boardwalk is the last bus stop on the ring (Swan, Dolphin, Y & BC) the bus was a bit packed. But that was only one day. We usually like to drive to the Marketplace & Blizzard Beach.

I think we paid about $225/night in May. I am sure you can get a better rate these days with all the discounts floating around.

Take care,
Sheryl

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Thanks for all the info. I think we'll stick with 'cozy' for this trip, but I'll keep the BW in mind. It sounds like a lot of fun.
I'm always up for walking, even at the end of a long day, so the trip to the Studios would be fun.
I wish I could afford to make a couple trips a year and just stay different places each time.
Maybe some day.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Thanks for the 411 on ASMovies...I am actually considering it! The food court looks way kewl in the pics I've seen...I do enjoy being around food, even though I usually don't actually eat it! :D

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Thanks for the 411 on ASMovies...I am actually considering it! The food court looks way kewl in the pics I've seen...I do enjoy being around food, even though I usually don't actually eat it! :D

personally, i didn't like ASMovies at all. ASMusic is my fave of the AS...but, i suppose it's personal preferance, so you may like ASMovies. but ASMovies is definately NOT the worst resort in my opinion....that goes to Old Key West. so, i'll give ASMovies a rating of 'fair'. but go ahead and try it! like i said, you may like it more than i did!

btw, i love your new avatar! that's so cool!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Cymbal!! I have stayed at 2 out of 3 of the all Stars including Movies and Music and all 4 of the Moderates. The ONLY thing I wasnt crazy about with the value level was just that there were SO MANY kids in the pool during the warmer weather. I am not big on crowds or unruly kids and this did have both when I stayed there in August of 2001. We used the food court several times but for dinner only which was pretty damn awesome. The food was well made, nice selection and a good price. I stayed at the Music after that and got to see it during breakfast and again a bit of a mob scene. Not my thing as I said before. The All Stars I found in general to be very cute and definitely a deal at the price. You will notice some amenities arent there but nothing worth fretting over. If the alternative is staying off property, I am certain Id tell you to go for the AS Movies!!! At least you know it is Disney and I know I have a certain comfort level with that!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom