Why so much hate for Uni and still such devotion to WDW?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Universal added a Potter E-ticket in 2010, and another Potter E-Ticket in 2014(the second of which replaced Jaws). Transformers is a clone from Cali and the superior version of the same ride is at IOA. Despicable Me and The Simpsons are no different than Star Tours 2.0.

New Fantasyland is a huge update for Disney, and has much more family appeal than either Potter land.

When was the last new attraction that Universal added that wasn't based around screen technology?
FLE:
1) An impressive restaurant that is already seeing maintenance issues
2) Fake Butterbeer
3) A technically impressive M&G that skimps out on the actual M&G
4) A standard M&G
5) A disappointing dark ride that features virtually no innovation or anything that couldn't have been done 20 years ago
6) A circus land where the most impressive thing is the McDumbo's play land
7) The unknown factor of a kiddie coaster
Woohoo.
BTW, just because screens are a PART of a ride doesn't mean they're based on screens.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I do not think there is anything wrong with the running of this site, maybe you do because some Universal haters where deleted.

I just do not agree that there are a lot of Universal haters on this site. I think the Disney haters out number the Universal haters by a large number and I find that to be funny. If I hated Disney so much I would never go on a Disney Fan Site. If I felt Disney was great once and now is bad, I would move on and find something I liked.

Also, I just do not agree that everything is bad at Walt Disney World and everything is good at Universal. I see areas that need some tender loving care, I do not think Disney has put as much money into the Walt Disney World parks as they should have in the last few years, but I am starting to see improvments all over Walt Disney World.

I dont think everything is at either end of the scale for any of the Orlando attractions either. As a tourist I want all locations to actively want my money by having experiences to entice me in. Neither place was particularly fresh which is why I took my holiday money west. The point I have raised several times is that having broken the Orlando cycle Im not too keen to return to it when Ive had such good times in other places.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I dont think everything is at either end of the scale for any of the Orlando attractions either. As a tourist I want all locations to actively want my money by having experiences to entice me in. Neither place was particularly fresh which is why I took my holiday money west. The point I have raised several times is that having broken the Orlando cycle Im not too keen to return to it when Ive had such good times in other places.

I agree with you. I think that Orlando has a lot to offer and I hope Disney improves because of the improvements at Universal. During the last trip with my children, we had a group take a day off at Walt Disney World and go to Universal. They did this because they want to see what was done for Harry Potter. I did not go this time for I am not a big Harry Potter fan and want to stay with the grand kids that day. So if Universal wants to take on Walt Disney World, I say go for it. I think a lot of the long overdue maintenance problems that are now being worked on is part of the response to Universal. The other is coming in what I believe will be a Star Wars addition, maybe a cars world and as we know Pandora is under construction.

cheezbat

But that is not what this posting is about; it said that Disney was trashing Universal on this web site. The fact is that there is a lot more trashing of Disney, as can be seen in your post, than there every is about Universal. Some like Pepsi..some like Coke. If you do not like Disney than vote with your dollars and do not go there. I have been going all my life and the thing that I find interesting is it never gets stale. I ride something that I have been on countless times and still find a new little detail I have never seen before. I am not a big fan of the new expansion of the Magic Kingdom, but I think that the addition of the new roller coaster (I know it is not an E ticket) will be something new and fun to do.
There's a lot of Disney WORLD bashing because of the state of the parks. I am a THEME PARK fan through and through, and while I once was just a blind Disney fan, I came to realize that there are other great parks out there too.

I DO vote with my dollars. I haven't paid WDW a dime since a day visit last September(with a friend wanting to visit the MK), and even then they probably only got $60 out of me. Universal and Sea World on the other hand, have gotten considerably more from me, but that's because they're giving me reasons to visit and spend my money.
Don't get me wrong, I still love Disney, but I would prefer to spend my money at Disneyland or elsewhere...as long as they give me the quality and new attractions I'm looking for.

cheezbat

Universal added a Potter E-ticket in 2010, and another Potter E-Ticket in 2014(the second of which replaced Jaws). Transformers is a clone from Cali and the superior version of the same ride is at IOA. Despicable Me and The Simpsons are no different than Star Tours 2.0.

New Fantasyland is a huge update for Disney, and has much more family appeal than either Potter land.

When was the last new attraction that Universal added that wasn't based around screen technology?

Superior in your opinion. I find Spidey and Transformers to be almost equal. Yes Potter is replacing Jaws, but were getting TWO E-tickets for it(Gringotts and Hogwarts Express). I miss Jaws, but were getting superior attractions in its place.

You actually consider Despicable Me and the Simpsons the same as Star Tours 2.0? They may be the same ride system, but COMPLETELY different films, theme, and thematic elements. The only thing different on Star Tours is the addition of the C3-PO AA's and new ride film.

Once again New Fantasyland having MORE appeal than Potter is strictly your opinion. There's no proof to back that up.

2009...Universal added the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

2007...High in the Sky Train Ride

2004...Revenge of the Mummy

Universal isn't perfect, but at least they're TRYING. People who bash everything but WDW and praise WDW blindly are the reason why the parks are so stale and TDO is able to get away with cutting quality.

Go to Disneyland, or Hong Kong, or Tokyo if you want to see the quality that SHOULD be in WDW..(but I bet that's too much to ask, seeing as how most will just keep going to WDW thinking its all The Disney they need)

maxairmike

There's a lot of Disney WORLD bashing because of the state of the parks. I am a THEME PARK fan through and through, and while I once was just a blind Disney fan, I came to realize that there are other great parks out there too.

I DO vote with my dollars. I haven't paid WDW a dime since a day visit last September(with a friend wanting to visit the MK), and even then they probably only got $60 out of me. Universal and Sea World on the other hand, have gotten considerably more from me, but that's because they're giving me reasons to visit and spend my money.
Don't get me wrong, I still love Disney, but I would prefer to spend my money at Disneyland or elsewhere...as long as they give me the quality and new attractions I'm looking for.

Bingo, my loyalty only goes as far as "what have you done for me lately," and Disney hasn't done much of anything. The thing is, I'm really not that hard to please (heck, I don't require themeing, I enjoy regular amusement parks as much as Disney/Uni/SW [*GASP* how dare I, I know]), but Disney can't even live up to the standards they set for themselves. I'm not a Disney fan, I'm not a Universal fan, I'm not a SeaWorld fan, I'm just a fan of the industry in general. I have two requirements to win my temporary loyalty as a consumer in this industry: provide me a quality product at a good value, and live up to or exceed the standards that I know you set for yourself. Disney is slacking a bit on the first requirement (in many areas, not just in attractions), and is borderline thumbing their nose at the second. Meanwhile Universal is pumping out quality products and exceeding their previous standards. Just like I used to love Cedar Point and Cedar Fair parks in general, I noticed an obvious decline in many things during the last few years of the company under Kinzel and was probably just as critical about that park and the company in general as I have been about Disney and WDW at times. However, when Matt Ouimet stepped in and demonstrated a true turnaround in many things, I got back on the positive side. See, I'm an equal opportunity hater, for those that might lump me in with the D&G group. :D

And why is a negative tone in discussions about WDW such a bad thing, anyway? Maybe it is deserved, after all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So if Universal wants to take on Walt Disney World, I say go for it. .
Bingo. That's exactly what they don't want to do.

Comcast are clear they're moving along with their own agenda. They've said so. They think they can make more money by investing more directly in the parks, not by battling other operators.

Basically they're just doing their own thing. It's just a few silly Billy's on the web to put it very mildly (not you) who like to flame about a war that isn't happening and why one is better than the other.

Comcast want to spend to accumulate.

TDO don't think they have a problem.

The two are not connected.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I do not think the issue is Disney is not spending money, they are just not spending enough at Walt Disney World. Disneyland Resort and Hong Kong Disneyland have gotten or are getting major upgrades. Carsland is a big hit at Disneyland Resort. Two ships have been added to the Disney Cruise Line. Shanghai Disney Resort is now starting to come out of the ground. You are just now starting to see some improvements in Walt Disney World, I just hope more will be coming soon. Still for me I still enjoy spending time with the Grand Kids at Walt Disney World more than at Universal. So the adding expanding of the Magic Kingdom, even if I am not a big fan of what they have done, was great for the Grand Kids and keeps me coming back. Also looking forward to Disney Springs.

pheneix

The ride is called Harry Potter and The Escape from Gringotts. How are they going to pull it off with Radcliffe not participating?

If all of the sequences that Mr. Radcliffe would be needed for were filmed, say, at the same time other Harry Potter projects were being filmed, it would be very easy to include his work in that future attraction.

Just sayin.....

Magenta Panther

If all of the sequences that Mr. Radcliffe would be needed for were filmed, say, at the same time other Harry Potter projects were being filmed, it would be very easy to include his work in that future attraction.

Just sayin.....

See, I have a hard time believing that these Gringotts/Hogwarts Express plans weren't already in place before Forbidden Journey was even built. Universal KNEW it had a hit on its hands, and plenty of public interest. It makes sense that certain aspects were already developed in anticipation of future expansion...

pheneix

See, I have a hard time believing that these Gringotts/Hogwarts Express plans weren't already in place before Forbidden Journey was even built. Universal KNEW it had a hit on its hands, and plenty of public interest. It makes sense that certain aspects were already developed in anticipation of future expansion...

They were, and Jaws closed unexpectedly for a brief period of "seasonal maintenance" several years before it met its final demise while things were being "considered" before they realized how thoroughly broke they were.

Suffice to say, by the time things were in full swing producing FJ, it wouldn't be a huge leap to speculate that probably more than one ride had footage being filmed.

KRAKENvsMANTA

Wow this thread is quite entertaining. As someone who is 100% neutral in this debate, I can say that this battle will never cease. Disney supporters bash Universal for their lack of animatronics, nostalgia, and dependence on screen-based attractions. Universal supporters bash Disney for their lack of attraction additions over the past decade. And both groups have valid arguments. I enjoy both for various reasons.

With that said, I'd take SeaWorld and Busch Gardens over Disney and Universal any day.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Wow this thread is quite entertaining. As someone who is 100% neutral in this debate, I can say that this battle will never cease. Disney supporters bash Universal for their lack of animatronics, nostalgia, and dependence on screen-based attractions. Universal supporters bash Disney for their lack of attraction additions over the past decade. And both groups have valid arguments. I enjoy both for various reasons.

With that said, I'd take SeaWorld and Busch Gardens over Disney and Universal any day.

Sea World has quality parks, but I still think you're crazy. :)
I do appreciate your unbiased commentary, though.

SJN1279

Superior in your opinion. I find Spidey and Transformers to be almost equal. Yes Potter is replacing Jaws, but were getting TWO E-tickets for it(Gringotts and Hogwarts Express). I miss Jaws, but were getting superior attractions in its place.

You actually consider Despicable Me and the Simpsons the same as Star Tours 2.0? They may be the same ride system, but COMPLETELY different films, theme, and thematic elements. The only thing different on Star Tours is the addition of the C3-PO AA's and new ride film.

Once again New Fantasyland having MORE appeal than Potter is strictly your opinion. There's no proof to back that up.

2009...Universal added the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.

2007...High in the Sky Train Ride

2004...Revenge of the Mummy

Universal isn't perfect, but at least they're TRYING. People who bash everything but WDW and praise WDW blindly are the reason why the parks are so stale and TDO is able to get away with cutting quality.

Go to Disneyland, or Hong Kong, or Tokyo if you want to see the quality that SHOULD be in WDW..(but I bet that's too much to ask, seeing as how most will just keep going to WDW thinking its all The Disney they need)

Star Tours is the first motion simulator with random scenes thrown in(gives you incentive to ride more than once). The screen and 3D are also far crisper than The Simpsons and Despicable Me.

Name one attraction in WWOHP version 1 that the entire family can ride together? That is why I feel the New Fantasyland has more appeal for families. Hogwarts Express will allow everyone to ride(if you spring for a 2 park ticket that is).

I just went to Disneyland twice last year. Crowded, cramped walkways and roller coasters without drops of any kind. Not to mention non-themed queues, and Fantasyland attractions well past their due date. That said, I enjoyed Indiana Jones and California Adventure quite a bit.

Californian Elitist

Star Tours is the first motion simulator with random scenes thrown in(gives you incentive to ride more than once). The screen and 3D are also far crisper than The Simpsons and Despicable Me.

Name one attraction in WWOHP version 1 that the entire family can ride together? That is why I feel the New Fantasyland has more appeal for families. Hogwarts Express will allow everyone to ride(if you spring for a 2 park ticket that is).

I just went to Disneyland twice last year. Crowded, cramped walkways and roller coasters without drops of any kind. Not to mention non-themed queues, and Fantasyland attractions well past their due date. That said, I enjoyed Indiana Jones and California Adventure quite a bit.

It sounds like you weren't too happy with Disneyland. Why did you go a second time?

What do you mean "past their due date"? When someone says something is past their due date, they mean it should have been received a long time ago. Do you mean they're dated?

DL's Fantasyland is one of the best themed and certainly the most charming out of the other lands in the park. Those dark rides are classics, and they shouldn't be rid of, if that's what you're suggesting (maybe I'm wrong).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom