Why so much hate for Uni and still such devotion to WDW?

Disneyhead'71

I just did a search for "junky six flags" and the only thing that came up was your posting. Please post the reference that you have so I can read this post.
Most of Patricia Melton's posts, commonly referred to as Patty Melt, have been deleted. But he regularly referred to Uni as junky and six flags like. Jimmy Thick also.

And my screen name is Disneyhead because I have a passion for theme parks that Disney implanted in my head. I have been going to WDW since Dec. 1971. Disney taught me what "themed entertainment" is all about. If it weren't for Disney showing me the ropes, I would be oblivious to the fact that Uni is the one serving up heapin' helpings of quality themed experiences while Disney is literally advertising a data mining "test".
Ya'll knock yourselves out! The last three times I was at WDW I got paid to be there (free food too).

danpam1024

Original Poster
Most of Patricia Melton's posts, commonly referred to as Patty Melt, have been deleted. But he regularly referred to Uni as junky and six flags like. Jimmy Thick also.

And my screen name is Disneyhead because I have a passion for theme parks that Disney implanted in my head. I have been going to WDW since Dec. 1971. Disney taught me what "themed entertainment" is all about. If it weren't for Disney showing me the ropes, I would be oblivious to the fact that Uni is the one serving up heapin' helpings of quality themed experiences while Disney is literally advertising a data mining "test".
Ya'll knock yourselves out! The last three times I was at WDW I got paid to be there (free food too).
perfectly said- some people only hear(er read) what they want:banghead:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

So two people made these references and that is why so many people find fault in Universal. I think you have shown that I am right on this one. It is not a lot of Disney people picking on Universal. It is Universal people using a Walt Disney Fan Site to tell Disney fans that everything Universal does its great and everything Disney does is bad. All I can say is that I have a preference for Disney and I will share that on this site. I will not go to a Universal Fan Site (I am sure there is one) and make remarks about Universal. Universal is a great park that I have sent many days at and visit soon.

danpam1024

Original Poster
So two people made these references and that is why so many people find fault in Universal. I think you have shown that I am right on this one. It is not a lot of Disney people picking on Universal. It is Universal people using a Walt Disney Fan Site to tell Disney fans that everything Universal does its great and everything Disney does is bad. All I can say is that I have a preference for Disney and I will share that on this site. I will not go to a Universal Fan Site (I am sure there is one) and make remarks about Universal. Universal is a great park that I have sent many days at and visit soon.
OH- so that's it- you were looking to be RIGHT o_O. I was looking for some insight, something perhaps that I have been overlooking. I've got it from the adults on the site who wanted to participate in a discussion- thoughts, feelings, etc :cool:

Disneydreamer23

I love Universal I love the rides I think adding the parade and night time attractions are awsome and getting a dinning plan BUT Disney is where my heart belongs Do I love Universal yes, but I am In love with Disney :happy:

SJN1279

That would be because many of us fans are HAPPY that Universal is still trying to cater to its park goers by adding new attractions every year, whereas Walt Disney World is investing in a multi-billion dollar reservation system. Disney isn't building groundbreaking E-ticket attractions anymore. When was the last one...2006? 8 years since the LAST E-ticket in a resort that boasts 4 theme parks is awful.

The parks are getting stale. Yes they have classic attractions we all love, but WDW is becoming nothing more than a data mining hotel/DVC cash machine.

Universal added a Potter E-ticket in 2010, and another Potter E-Ticket in 2014(the second of which replaced Jaws). Transformers is a clone from Cali and the superior version of the same ride is at IOA. Despicable Me and The Simpsons are no different than Star Tours 2.0.

New Fantasyland is a huge update for Disney, and has much more family appeal than either Potter land.

When was the last new attraction that Universal added that wasn't based around screen technology?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
OH- so that's it- you were looking to be RIGHT o_O. I was looking for some insight, something perhaps that I have been overlooking. I've got it from the adults on the site who wanted to participate in a discussion- thoughts, feelings, etc :cool:

Here is the answer to your question. There are not a lot of Universal haters on this site. Sometime people get tired of the Disney haters and fight back. This is understandable. You keep saying that there are a lot of Universal haters, but after all the replies you are getting all I see are Disney haters trying to get another reaction out of the ones that end up defending Disney. Most replies I see are people who have been to both parks and just like Disney better. I am not saying one is better than the other, all I am saying is that I like Disney better.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
When you start your site Ill be sure not to visit. Why dont you tell Steve where he is going wrong in the running of this site in the mean time.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the running of this site, maybe you do because some Universal haters where deleted.

I just do not agree that there are a lot of Universal haters on this site. I think the Disney haters out number the Universal haters by a large number and I find that to be funny. If I hated Disney so much I would never go on a Disney Fan Site. If I felt Disney was great once and now is bad, I would move on and find something I liked.

Also, I just do not agree that everything is bad at Walt Disney World and everything is good at Universal. I see areas that need some tender loving care, I do not think Disney has put as much money into the Walt Disney World parks as they should have in the last few years, but I am starting to see improvments all over Walt Disney World.

CarmelHP

On the stock side Disney is focused on the TV division which is making them all sorts of money. Their biggest threat to worry about is unbundling cable channels since cable companies are basically forced to buy all the Disney channels and ESPN is the highest costing of them all. In the stock world the parks aren't very important over all to the company. That's why conglomerates always run into trouble somewhere down the road when they get to big. Sony is a good example of that. Sony use to make hardware and did a very good job then they moved into to content side and that's when things went off the tracks. Hardware was ignored because they were so dominate in hardware with the focus on the content. MP3's Napster, iPod's, ITunes etc. etc. the world changed and Sony was in trouble. Also these big companies become filled with high paid people whose sole mission is to justify their own jobs. Not a creative or future thinking bunch.

Not quite true. almost all of Disney's income growth in the past reporting year was due to the Parks division. Everything else was stagnant. Of that growth, almost all was due to price increases and not attendance growth, which I found surprising. I was just reading an interview with one of the Universal Parks execs saying Universal intends to grab it's share of the pie, and to attract the new visitors that aren't going to Disney or who want more than Disney.

JT3000

This thread has clearly devolved into an argument over what people SHOULD say on this site, or perhaps even be ALLOWED to say, rather than a productive discussion on why people may think a certain way. If anyone can't handle the content of this particular forum, and the views expressed therein, you have plenty of other options. I can happily direct you to one in particular where the members would rather collectively jump off a bridge than say anything negative about Disney, if that sort of atmosphere would be more to your liking.

Then there are some who should probably just turn off their computers altogether. The Internet isn't for everyone. But at the very least, keep your arms and legs inside the train, cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahhh. Now I've got my giggles.

Thanks guys.
Despicable Me and The Simpsons are no different than Star Tours 2.0.

New Fantasyland is a huge update for Disney, and has much more family appeal than either Potter land.

When was the last new attraction that Universal added that wasn't based around screen technology?
And once I pick myself up.... Forbidden Journey.

Anyone saying it is based on screen technology is missing the boat.

Now about the state of Space Mountain
And Futureworld
And most of DHS
Everest
Dinosaur
Kali
...and so forth...

USO ain't perfect but at least they're trying.

Last edited:

SJN1279

If Daniel Radcliff didn't want to take part of Gringotts, as reports have indicated, why couldn't they have created Harry Potter animatronics for the attraction with a different voice actor? Because Universal hasn't created a lifelike animatronic since 2004.....

Disneyhead'71

If Daniel Radcliff didn't want to take part of Gringotts, as reports have indicated, why couldn't they have created Harry Potter animatronics for the attraction with a different voice actor? Because Universal hasn't created a lifelike animatronic since 2004.....

The sorting hat is inpressive. The dragon in FJ is better than the yeti. And gringott's is an unknown. My money us on a WOW!

Disneyhead'71

Universal added a Potter E-ticket in 2010, and another Potter E-Ticket in 2014(the second of which replaced Jaws). Transformers is a clone from Cali and the superior version of the same ride is at IOA. Despicable Me and The Simpsons are no different than Star Tours 2.0.

When was the last time

When was the last time WDW added something AA based? AAs are Disney, screens are universal!

maxairmike

Maybe because they already filmed Gringotts sequences back when he was still playing the roll of Potter (rumored)? Or maybe another reason is that they found a better way to create life-like, impressive recreations of people without using AAs that typically require more maintenance, comparatively. I find all of Forbidden Journey's queue projections very believable, in fact I thought they were much more convincing than an AA for the first several months I was seeing them (now I still marvel at them when I take the time to think and observe, if the line is moving slow enough to allow it). On the ride, do you really think they could pull off that pace and the rotary screen section using real life sets? They used technology correctly for the ride requirements. If it isn't your thing, that's one thing, but to suggest it is subpar or just isn't good is another.

I think what rubs a lot of us the wrong way is that people that feel that Disney is bashed too much seem to over compensate with ridiculous and/or inane statements and arguments about Universal. When those statements/arguments are then called out, refuted, and otherwise countered, it is then taken as more Disney bashing and saying "OMG, Universal RULEZ, Disney SUXORZ!" when it is really just keeping the discussion rational, even if that means the tone is negative towards Disney.

It isn't Disney sucks and Universal is great at all. I've been going to WDW since they opened and we have been AP holders since the mid 90's. I have great respect for the traditions of Disney. I love the classic rides, the CM's enthusiasm and the feel of the resort. But that doesn't mitigate the fact that Uni has been acting more like Disney than Disney has of late. Further, there should be no hating on Uni as we all know that many, many, many former disney imagineers, cast members and management have somehow found their way to Universal. So is the increasingly 'magical' feel of Uni really a surprise? And why do Disney people resent that so much?

I think Uni is giving me, the guest, much more bang for the buck right now but I fully realize (and hope) that Disney can, at any time, make a real race of what's going on. I'm not a brand fan, I'm a quality fan, so I anxiously await Disney's return to their past. Good quality is good for us all!

StageFrenzy

Sidebar, when it comes to the WWOHP, I don't care anything about Harry Potter or Daniel Radcliffe. The real strength of the book and why it is now a theme park is the world building of HP*. JK did a very good job making a world within our world complete with food, history, customs and culture. The directors of the HP franchise did an excellent job of translating that to the screen and UC did an even better job of transferring that to a Theme Park. Harry Potter was the Boy Who Lived and the reason for the story, but the real star was the environment. I actually was hoping none of the main stars were in the expansion, because they don't matter when it comes to the theme park. I'll give another example R2 is cool and all, but Rex is cooler.

*books

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom