Why is the Haunted Mansion such a favorite and beloved attraction at the MK???

EPCOT Explorer

I could write a term paper on this topic.

The Haunted Mansion is the quintessential Disney dark ride. For starters, the outside sets the tone for the ride. Ghostly shapes fly past the windows of the old dilapidated house, as wolves howl and thunder claps in the background. Yet when you get up close to the Mansion, and see the tombstones laid out in front you realize that this will be not only a ride filled with 999 happy haunts, but a bit of a laugh as well.

The preshow also is something that isn't done anymore, a preshow with physical sets instead of screens. The stretch room is so iconic.

Then the ride. An AA filled masterpiece with some of WED's best effects work. There is nothing like it, including Grim Grinning Ghosts. It's a masterpiece on the highest level, the only thing at MK that comes close to touching it is the Jungle Cruise.
*might or might not have done a Term Paper on World's Fair 1939 and EPCOT*:lookaroun

njDizFan

besides the carousel, what is the most common and loved ride/attraction at any amusement park/fair/carnival/theme park...the haunted house.

and the Haunted Mansion is the best of them all. Not scary enough to leave out the younger kids but also themed enough to be interesting for all ages.

Great theming, great animitronics, emersive, classic

hwdelien

My parents took me to WDW for the first time in '76 when I was merely 9 years old. Years later when I was taking my kids for the first time, I told them about the things I remembered about the park. That included HM, 20K, IASW, the parade (cause my sister and I got to ride a float) and that was pretty much it. That was 17 years later. When we went to the park my biggest disappointment was no 20K, next I had somehow merged CoP and IASW and had all the singing dolls in a theater that the seats moved around instead of a boat. BUT, HM, Wow! It was as wonderful as I remembered it. It completely kept me spellbound and to this day it still does even though I ride it every year. There is nothing else that can stand that kind of a test of time.

Dragonrider1227

Along with everything said here, HM is also edgy. I mean, how many Disney rides have dead corpses hanging over you, or a ghost bride with an ax, or a disembodied talking head, or a voice making jokes about death? For a Disney ride, it's kinda dark and edgy, and the audience that doesn't want to ride stuff like It's a Small World flock to it because of this

Mukta

In my opinion the classics are wonderful because Walt had a hand in them.
I am a DL regular and I can see the hand of Walt in everything. The DL rides that WDW cloned still have a bit of his magic in them.

stonehill1968

What everyone else said. Plus, they haven't tried to put Stitch in it. This is one attraction where I wish there would be MORE souvenier merchandise, not the relatively little they have.

Chrononymous

The HM is just so beautifully designed. Amazing special effects, just everything top notch, innovative, and extraordinarily detailed.

And the theme works so beautifully. It's more than juts a ride...it's a whole Experience

For me it's the aniticipation of the ghost horse and hearse out in front,
and the graveyard details that really make it all immersive right away.

The attention paid to the backstory is extraordinary. The script is fun, the song is catchy, and from the stretching room to the hitchhiking ghosts...the HM makes you feel like you are part of the attraction like no other ride does.

And what others mentioned here already, certainly holds true for me too...it's the only place where CMs don't smile! It has the edgy, dark, supernatural occult feel that can't be found in too many other places in WDW. And I absolutley see something new every single time.

And that's what makes something an enduring classic.

Perfect Storytelling.

And it doesn't have to have a movie/character tie in to make it a wonderful ride.

I_heart_Tigger

Along with everything said here, HM is also edgy. I mean, how many Disney rides have dead corpses hanging over you, or a ghost bride with an ax, or a disembodied talking head, or a voice making jokes about death? For a Disney ride, it's kinda dark and edgy, and the audience that doesn't want to ride stuff like It's a Small World flock to it because of this

Exactly...i like it because it's not one of those attractions where they bend over backwards to be exteremely "politically correct". I like when they ask me to drag my wretched body into the dead centre of the room (though it's been hit and miss lately to whether they say that)

My only worry is that a small group will decide to crusade against the darker images of the attraction and take the "soul" so to speak out of the Mansion

SirGoofy

Exactly...i like it because it's not one of those attractions where they bend over backwards to be exteremely "politically correct". I like when they ask me to drag my wretched body into the dead centre of the room (though it's been hit and miss lately to whether they say that)

HM Cms aren't allowed to say wretched any more. Someone complained and it was taken out. :rolleyes:

jen2009

It is a classic that I can remember from 20+ years ago that is still around. We wanted a fun and unique wedding shot for our Magic Kingdom photo session, so we did Haunted Mansion. Every other place we wanted was being worked on or could not get to so we picked Haunted Mansion instead. Took picture off us "fake" screaming and acting terrified in front of the horse and carriage out front and we were both laughing in the photo. My DH and I always like to see what ghost will pop up in our carriage when we go by the mirror.

DizneyPryncess

It's one of my favorites because it has the most secrets! I love hearing the ghost stories, theories of what the story behind the ride is, looking for the many hidden mickey's and more. The details to this attraction are some of the best. Plus it's classic & original. Nothing else like it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom