Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Captain Neo

I think Bob Iger has much bigger issues of concern than specific WDI employees. Sometimes we have unreasonable expectations with regard to how much Bob Iger should care about WDP&R.

Would you expect the CEO of Bank of America to personally fire a crappy bank teller you encountered in Des Moines?

No but then again the bank teller would be the equivalent of a cast member. I'm talking about senior VPs at Imagineering if not Iger than Staggs or Vaughn need to.

Bolna

Yes, they've definitely been telling people that. To which I've said that it has to be put into perspective that they said it when they were building 2 cruise ships, a whole new park in another country, a massive makeover of an existing park, etc. It would be more interesting if they'd put "cutting back" on cap spends into perspective.

But then @WDW1974 mentioned a few times that new ships for DCL are going to happen soon again, so with all the projects on both coasts and two more ships again, how much cutting back can that be? Throw in that Euro Disney SCA is contractually obliged to open a third gate in the not too distant future...

the.dreamfinder

I think Bob Iger has much bigger issues of concern than specific WDI employees. Sometimes we have unreasonable expectations with regard to how much Bob Iger should care about WDP&R.

Would you expect the CEO of Bank of America to personally fire a crappy bank teller you encountered in Des Moines?
The right article on WDI's sociopaths and Imagineer/fanbois would get lots of traction. You saw what happened with Kevin Clash and Sesame Workshop.

MattM

But then @WDW1974 mentioned a few times that new ships for DCL are going to happen soon again, so with all the projects on both coasts and two more ships again, how much cutting back can that be? Throw in that Euro Disney SCA is contractually obliged to open a third gate in the not too distant future...

I'm not advocating for nor against capital spending. I'm only relaying what they have been saying on the past few conference calls.

Not that people with large investments would know anything about those investments or listen in to conference calls or anything ;)

TP2000

But the D23 angle on this whole affair did give some people inside the company the wrong impression that this was some kind of targeted "espionage" attempt at subverting D23. That is absolutely not the case. D23 division needs to stop blaming others for their own failures and take ownership of a bloated expo that is trying to be all things to everyone and ultimately will please no one.

A perfect summation of what is wrong with D23 and their Expo. If they go light on the Parks & Resorts news next month, this could be the last Expo they ever have to worry about.

WDW1974

You think the threads that @WDW1974 or myself generate don't at least attract some scrutiny by some key WDW personnel that matter? I know the Spirit has quite the fan following around the resort these days.

I was just asked to relay a message on behalf of some very ed off people in Orlando who don't want to get roped in on D23 BS.

Oh c'mon, they think we're all losers living in the basement playing with our My Little Pony toys and admiring our vinylmations ...why would anyone care about what is said on fan discussion boards. Not like anyone here knows a thing about media, entertainment, business and how Disney (and its competitors) runs their P&R unit.
They think we're all full of Pixie Dust.

Now, I need to head out to Rainbow Glen and see how Rainbow Dash is getting along with Apple jack.

Oh wait, I'd much rather continue to be 'insignificant' to my friends at TWDC. ...

djlaosc

One thing I wonder about - if they decided to keep the "movie making" theme of DHS, and kept it Lucasfilm/Pixar rather than Star Wars/Cars, I wonder how much the following (obviously not real names, but basic ideas) would cost...

"George Lucas: One Man's Dream"
"Pixar: One Team's Dream"
"Coming Soon... The Making of The Lone Ranger"
"Coming Soon... The Making of Monsters University"
"Coming Soon... The Making of Planes"
"Coming Soon.. Star Wars Episode VII - The Making of Star Wars"

And 19 attractions suddenly becomes 25 and they get 4 attractions that are basically adverts.

doctornick

It sounds like the MiceAge article was accurate though. You can't call someone negative if they're reporting negative information.

MiceAge didn't really say anything too specific about WDW except indicating that any additions there would be minimal -- which is somewhat ironic because it sounds like WDW is collectively getting more in upcoming years than DLR. Granted it's four parks to two, but if SW/Cars come to DHS and Avatar + other stuff to DAK and Imagination/Soarin' update comes to Epcot, that's more than the Tomorrowland in DL and Monstropolis/Soarin' to DCA stuff. But the Miceage article makes it sounds like so much is going on in DLR and "oh there's a few minor things that will happen in WDW". I'm not saying the details are wrong, just the presentation.

MiceAge has a tendancy to use "weasel words" in describing WDW stuff. Not that the specifics are wrong, just that the describe in ways as to be dismissive or negative about it. They could report the exact same things and present it in a positive way, as they do with stuff happening in DLR.

doctornick

I think the DHS overhaul has maintained is basic size and scope since it was first conceptualized. I don't think there has been a dramatic cut in the plans.

If you could just bear with me, would it be possible to give an idea of how many attractions are planned in this overhaul?

That to me is what is going to make or break it, really. DHS needs multiple attractions, especially rides, to fill a full day and to keep guests. If this expansion comes about and there is only 4 or 5 new attractions total and a net game (considering the lost attractions) of only 1-2 attractions then it will be a complete fail no matter how wonderful the new stuff and theming is. It won't get to the core problem of DHS not having enough to do.

I would feel a heck of a lot more confident about this expansion if I knew that there were plans for 8-9 new attractions (not all have to be rides, of course, shows and walk throughs are fine too) to make up for the 3-5 that they are losing and adding more on top of that.

Figments Friend

I know. It does feel like this time, finally, something exciting is about to happen.
Let's hope it isn't 'value engineered' into underwhelming-ness.

As for patience, well, here's a guy who was an 'almost annual' visitor, for a week or
more, who hasn't been back for 2 and a half years, because I've been, um, patiently
waiting for a reason to return. The underwhelming BOG restaurant interior design (um, square
ballroom with flat ceiling, hello?) and food reviews, and the over-lit Little Mermaid
ride just didn't do it for me, as gorgeous as the exteriors are. Hoping the mine train
will be cool, but that might not be enough to bring me back quite yet.

So, yeah, a little more more patience patience. A little more.

I hear ya....

Have you thought about maybe visiting DIsneyland in the mean time?
I blew off my annual autumn re-visit to WDW to spend more time out there.

Come on out to the Left Coast and savor it..!
:)

RSoxNo1

A company should not be too concerned about leaks when they are confident that the end product is good and will satisfy the consumer.

To me, a company running scared trying to plug leaks only speaks of their lack of confidence in the final product.
Very well said.

nor'easter

Let me start it off! I have stocks in this company and my stocks funny enough are still going up steadily. Yes I want Disney to get better fix things and not have universal trample all over them with big new rides! But I sorda see the other side of things. Everyone who goes to Orlando visits Disney first which Is a good thing for Disney because customer relations at uni... Need I say more.

Yes Disney has screwed up things in the past an will continue to screw things up in the future. Human error and running a multi billion dollar company. But as long as there stocks go up they must be doing something right in there eyes! Us fans hardcore or not still have an incredible time at home! We just see things others don't see because we have been to the world since we were little and have kept on going every year. But all in all it's still the most magical place on earth! And what did we all do before Internet and d23? We enjoyed Disney to te fullest everytime we went!

I own many shares in Disney. Disney is multi-billion dollar company with many divisions. The Parks and Resorts division is only one piece, the poor performance of which can be set off by other divisions. I am not saying that P and R is losing money, but it is ridiculous to tie Disney share price performance solely to decisions made relating to the parks.

If Disney spends major capital on the parks for long term investment, the short term gains that investors and executives love (in the form of bonuses) might be threatened, but in the long term, would generate buzz, crowds, media attention, which translates to $$$$. That used to be the corporate model for public companies (and still is for some). Unfortunately, Wall Street analysts, greedy management, and demand for immediate returns seem to rule, until things get so bad that something has to be done. That is exactly what happened at DCA, and that is what is happening at some of the parks at WDW.

And do you really think it's the most magical place on earth? Great marketing slogan, but really, people should broaden their horizons a bit.

RSoxNo1

I think the DHS overhaul has maintained is basic size and scope since it was first conceptualized. I don't think there has been a dramatic cut in the plans. I do believe there may be some desire to ACCELERATE the construction timetable on some of the Star Wars stuff, but WDW is still wrapping up on modifying its five year plan, AGAIN, after tossing it last year when Transformers went vertical.

Also, the rumors and information shared on here by myself and others were from the proposals shown to the board of directors in Anaheim.
Well the initial plan was Cars Land, right? That budget would have been in that $500-$600 million range if I'm not mistaken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom