Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

devoy1701

I own many shares in Disney. Disney is multi-billion dollar company with many divisions. The Parks and Resorts division is only one piece, the poor performance of which can be set off by other divisions. I am not saying that P and R is losing money, but it is ridiculous to tie Disney share price performance solely to decisions made relating to the parks.

If Disney spends major capital on the parks for long term investment, the short term gains that investors and executives love (in the form of bonuses) might be threatened, but in the long term, would generate buzz, crowds, media attention, which translates to $$$$. That used to be the corporate model for public companies (and still is for some). Unfortunately, Wall Street analysts, greedy management, and demand for immediate returns seem to rule, until things get so bad that something has to be done. That is exactly what happened at DCA, and that is what is happening at some of the parks at WDW.

And do you really think it's the most magical place on earth? Great marketing slogan, but really, people should broaden their horizons a bit.

I did this analysis a couple months ago on here. If I remember correctly, P&R only brings in about 12% of the total revenues of TWDC.

RSoxNo1

He was very hard on management and tracking where they were failing - the difference is when they did things well.. he praised that too. He wouldn't praise anything in FL.. and would use backhanded jabs intertwined constantly just to spit at people rather than actually focus on the problems. Remember.. Al doesn't cover WDW.. yet Al constantly points out all the bad stuff happening in FL. Convenient eh?
Knowing some of Al's sources it makes some sense.

pheneix

Original Poster
Well the initial plan was Cars Land, right? That budget would have been in that $500-$600 million range if I'm not mistaken.

I hesitate to speculate on what was happening 6-12 months ago. I can only speak of what I saw of very recently with any accuracy that would be worth a damn.

It does seem like there was a push and some studying done to completely clone Cars Land out here. I don't think it went very far.

StarWarsGirl

I hesitate to speculate on what was happening 6-12 months ago. I can only speak of what I saw of very recently with any accuracy that would be worth a damn.

It does seem like there was a push and some studying done to completely clone Cars Land out here. I don't think it went very far.

Just a question...not meant to be rude...

where do you get your info?

Goofyernmost

If you could just bear with me, would it be possible to give an idea of how many attractions are planned in this overhaul?

That to me is what is going to make or break it, really. DHS needs multiple attractions, especially rides, to fill a full day and to keep guests. If this expansion comes about and there is only 4 or 5 new attractions total and a net game (considering the lost attractions) of only 1-2 attractions then it will be a complete fail no matter how wonderful the new stuff and theming is. It won't get to the core problem of DHS not having enough to do.

I would feel a heck of a lot more confident about this expansion if I knew that there were plans for 8-9 new attractions (not all have to be rides, of course, shows and walk throughs are fine too) to make up for the 3-5 that they are losing and adding more on top of that.
If they put in a couple of high volume, popular attractions, waiting in line takes up quite a bit of the day as well. It seems silly but that has to be considered in how much time people spend in the park.

Goofyernmost

mickeysbrother said:
Let me start it off! I have stocks in this company and my stocks funny enough are still going up steadily. Yes I want Disney to get better fix things and not have universal trample all over them with big new rides! But I sorda see the other side of things. Everyone who goes to Orlando visits Disney first which Is a good thing for Disney because customer relations at uni... Need I say more.

I am going to take a leap here and assume something. I am assuming that the sentence you left unfinished was that customer relations at uni are somehow lacking. If that is what you meant then, my friend you need to take a trip to Uni. Having been a 30 year fan of Disney, I shockingly found out that along the lines of Customer relations Uni is currently running circles around Disney. I'm not putting down the CM's at Disney, I'm just saying that Uni has read the Disney playbook and are now doing the job better then Disney is doing it. The reason...because there is a sense of excitement and life at Uni right now that is positively affecting moral to the degree that they are what Disney used to be. Believe me, this is not your fathers Uni! They are growing, expanding, ok I'll say it, Plusing everything there. There is a sense of health, vigor and vitality that a slew of empty buildings that Disney now doesn't operate, are projecting the opposite.

If that isn't what you were saying, then I have to say...yes, you did need to say more. :)

John

Well almost 2000 post......almost a 100 pages and yet no announcement.....no movement....heck no movement really on Avatar that was announced during the presidential election campaigns that seem to be eons ago. That said its been entertaining that's for sure. OH! We are STILLLLLLLL waiting for the mine coaster to open....someone remind me when the thing is supposed to be operational? By then FL will need a coat of paint.....seriously? Is there some kind of race....Mine coaster vs Diagon Ally?

spacemt354

Chili's
Well almost 2000 post......almost a 100 pages and yet no announcement.....no movement....heck no movement really on Avatar that was announced during the presidential election campaigns that seem to be eons ago. That said its been entertaining that's for sure. OH! We are STILLLLLLLL waiting for the mine coaster to open....someone remind me when the thing is supposed to be operational? By then FL will need a coat of paint.....seriously? Is there some kind of race....Mine coaster vs Diagon Ally?

We don't agree a lot, but I gotta say you are spot on here. I'm getting sick and tired of rumors. I don't want rumors. I want reality. And the reality is there's nothing. With all due respect to people in the know, their word of Disney's future endeavors means little to me at this point. All it's good for is debate among us fans about "ideas" for park expansions, rather than what is actually being constructed for park expansions. I'd rather not get passionate about a certain idea like Cars Land or Star Wars when it might not even be real. Heck I could have thought up that a Star Wars land would be a good idea, but how much validity is there? Nobody knows. And until dirt moves and I see Star wars construction signs saying "coming soon" (which in Disney time means "coming in 10 years") then I'll get excited.

And for Mine train it's opening early 2014. HP 2.0 I thought was Summer 2014.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom