Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

pheneix

Original Poster
How many shareholders, besides the fans who want to own a piece of $DIS, do you think has the slightest clue about this site. Probably a very insignificant number.

Insignificant number, but significant people. This board does have a reputation among newspapers as being a go-to reference when crazy rumors start flying.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
How many shareholders, besides the fans who want to own a piece of $DIS, do you think has the slightest clue about this site. Probably a very insignificant number.

Because people with large investments have no desire on researching what is going on with their money.

Sue_Vongello

A company should not be too concerned about leaks when they are confident that the end product is good and will satisfy the consumer.

To me, a company running scared trying to plug leaks only speaks of their lack of confidence in the final product.

Exactly ...

Or just maybe they should embrace leaks because it "shows" us fans that they are working, it keeps us interested and on the line so to speak, in things they have ZERO intention of ever building. Sort of like a guy/girl who lets slip little filtrations to keep a guy/girl interested because they need the attention, even though they have NO intention of ever dating the other person ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't read Al's columns when Disneyland was doing bad, but I had heard that he was just as negative on them. Can anyone confirm?

He was very hard on management and tracking where they were failing - the difference is when they did things well.. he praised that too. He wouldn't praise anything in FL.. and would use backhanded jabs intertwined constantly just to spit at people rather than actually focus on the problems. Remember.. Al doesn't cover WDW.. yet Al constantly points out all the bad stuff happening in FL. Convenient eh?

SirLink

I think the DHS overhaul has maintained is basic size and scope since it was first conceptualized. I don't think there has been a dramatic cut in the plans. I do believe there may be some desire to ACCELERATE the construction timetable on some of the Star Wars stuff, but WDW is still wrapping up on modifying its five year plan, AGAIN, after tossing it last year when Transformers went vertical.

Also, the rumors and information shared on here by myself and others were from the proposals shown to the board of directors in Anaheim.

But overall the park isn't gaining its just replacing dated X with currently more popular Y, I understand why it needs to be done in terms of Backlot and LMA, but the Park overall won't grow and will suffer the same fate of the current DHS or DSF. If they wanted to stop the 2 o'clock problem - might be wise to kind of have roughly 30 attractions to enjoy throughout the day and not stick to the 16 attractions for adults who don't have kids phenomena. Ya know grow the park.

SirLink

He was very hard on management and tracking where they were failing - the difference is when they did things well.. he praised that too. He wouldn't praise anything in FL.. and would use backhanded jabs intertwined constantly just to spit at people rather than actually focus on the problems. Remember.. Al doesn't cover WDW.. yet Al constantly points out all the bad stuff happening in FL. Convenient eh?

That could be because there is nothing of good to note down in Florida resort happening though, although he has praised Universal Florida.

mahnamahna101

Is it really that complicated for TDO to realize Star Wars expansion + Monsters Inc coaster + Cars dark ride=Big $$$?!?

Lol the folks in Orlando are clueless - they'd have greenlit a Star Wars land within weeks of buying them if they had a clue :p

Universal is doing this over the next 5 years

Potter 2.0 (with the Hogwarts Express linking both parks)
Cabana Bay Beach Resort (family value resort)

JP expansion
Fear Factor replacement
Beetlejuice replacement (might just be used for Kong)
Kong E-ticket replacing Disaster!
E.T. upgrade/refurb (hinted at by HTF of Orland United - he said he's not sure though!)

Entire redo of KidZone
Rumored Lorax dark ride/possible Seuss expansion

2017-2018
Twister and Shrek could get replaced
Lost Continent and Toon Lagoon are rumored to get some major TLC
A new land is supposed to open between MIB and Springfield

Not to mention!

2019-2020
The rumored 3rd gate is supposed to be open

Disney's game plan?

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Soarin' Upgrade?

Phase 1 of DHS Expansion?

Pandora?

Phase 2 of DHS Expansion?

DHS and AK are toast if Disney doesn't greenlight something within the next few weeks! Start construction in September - it makes me sad that the theme parks that used to pride themselves on being the innovators now just follow whatever Comcast is doing :(

Soarin' Over Pgh

The plot thickens. Like goo.

To any and all at TWDC who may be reading this forum.

Leaks, not leaks, all that stuff . . . we know it may seem like the apocalypse to
you in your personal lives as you come and go to work and jockey for position and
work to impress and make a living, etc. I get it. Inside office politics--especially
in a large, ostensibly creative company with a critical public face--have to be tough
to endure. Rough seas to sail.

But, you know what? To hear about all this internal strife is so sad to all of us out
here that are pulling for the company to shine, to succeed, to EXCEED and point
the way to innovation and new experiences in theme parks. Whether something
is leaked or not is mostly irrelevant in the long run. What is relevant is compelling
content, astonishingly realized. The old trope if you build it, they will come. Take
your IP, and SLAM DUNK IT into great park experiences. Please. It just feels like
there is so much wheel spinning and hesitation, and not the bold leadership and
vision that caused us all to care so much, to care enough to be critical.

Fix what's broken. Paint what needs it. Restore entertainment. Restore unique
merchandise. Unique food options. Clean those parks so hard they shine. Train
those CM's so thoroughly that they delight and surprise at every turn. Make it
a great place to work.

And then--build the hell out of some new attractions that make our jaws drop.
Astonish and astound us. Surround us. Take us to places we've never been. Show
us effects that feel like magic. Spin us, lift us, drop us, and return us to earth.

Let us enter the parks--as we used to--bringing friends and relatives, and say "see,
THIS is how you do a theme park and NO ONE ELSE comes close". Details. Story. Service.
Look to your cruise ships--it can still be done.

Do that--and none of this internal mess will matter to you. Office politics be damned,
you are in it to win, by a huge margin. By a mile.

We're pulling for you--we few rabid fans who visit these sites--we know we're not
the masses, just a fraction of attendance--but as in all things, critical mass builds
from small groups of what y'all in corporate-land call taste-makers, opinion-leaders,
and other funny mashed up words.

We're doing what we can. All we ask is that you keep your eye on the prize. And that's
the best damned theme park anywhere. By a mile. By a Walt Disney Mile.

Shove the petty politics aside and get busy doin' it. Please.

BRAVO.

@Atomicmickey hit the nail on the head. Thank you, sir. Or madam. :)

Disney, I love you dearly. If you want my money, earn it. Right now it's more affordable for me to stay at Universal, and spend my week vacation there next year, versus onsite at Walt Disney World. You have NO IDEA how incredibly sad this makes me. Remember, the "little people" are the ones who emptied their pockets and paid the bills to build up Disneyland, and the whole Disney brand in general. Please don't cater to only the upper crust. The rest of us need vacations from the reality of 50 hour work weeks, no spare time on weekends, and busting our butts to improve the companies we work for.

Captain Chaos

The plot thickens. Like goo.

To any and all at TWDC who may be reading this forum.

Leaks, not leaks, all that stuff . . . we know it may seem like the apocalypse to
you in your personal lives as you come and go to work and jockey for position and
work to impress and make a living, etc. I get it. Inside office politics--especially
in a large, ostensibly creative company with a critical public face--have to be tough
to endure. Rough seas to sail.

But, you know what? To hear about all this internal strife is so sad to all of us out
here that are pulling for the company to shine, to succeed, to EXCEED and point
the way to innovation and new experiences in theme parks. Whether something
is leaked or not is mostly irrelevant in the long run. What is relevant is compelling
content, astonishingly realized. The old trope if you build it, they will come. Take
your IP, and SLAM DUNK IT into great park experiences. Please. It just feels like
there is so much wheel spinning and hesitation, and not the bold leadership and
vision that caused us all to care so much, to care enough to be critical.

Fix what's broken. Paint what needs it. Restore entertainment. Restore unique
merchandise. Unique food options. Clean those parks so hard they shine. Train
those CM's so thoroughly that they delight and surprise at every turn. Make it
a great place to work.

And then--build the hell out of some new attractions that make our jaws drop.
Astonish and astound us. Surround us. Take us to places we've never been. Show
us effects that feel like magic. Spin us, lift us, drop us, and return us to earth.

Let us enter the parks--as we used to--bringing friends and relatives, and say "see,
THIS is how you do a theme park and NO ONE ELSE comes close". Details. Story. Service.
Look to your cruise ships--it can still be done.

Do that--and none of this internal mess will matter to you. Office politics be damned,
you are in it to win, by a huge margin. By a mile.

We're pulling for you--we few rabid fans who visit these sites--we know we're not
the masses, just a fraction of attendance--but as in all things, critical mass builds
from small groups of what y'all in corporate-land call taste-makers, opinion-leaders,
and other funny mashed up words.

We're doing what we can. All we ask is that you keep your eye on the prize. And that's
the best damned theme park anywhere. By a mile. By a Walt Disney Mile.

Shove the petty politics aside and get busy doin' it. Please.

HarryPotter-Snape-Clapping.gif

Even Severus has to applaud this...

devoy1701

So to understand more fully... P&R made this leak as a dig at D23? Seems like it backfired to me, since I've been considering making the trip out to the expo much more now that the prospects of a major announcement are higher.

We had already been told that this year's convention was NOT going to be the place for any big announcements to be made...that was while we were hearing all of these new rumors about makeovers and expansions. I'm not sure why you be considering a trip out to the expo more now?

I for one would LOVE for D23 to be a regular event that we could count on for annual updates on what's coming to our beloved Ps&Rs. If P&Rs significant presence was a sure thing each and every year, as well as an update for each resort being a feature (with worthwhile keynotes), then I would definitely consider attending in the future. With the size of the company, diversity of the resorts, and increased pressure from the competition there's no reason why we shouldn't be receiving updates of what is coming to EACH resort every single year...I would think that the competition has now warranted that P&R get back on track in Orlando to be opening Major attractions every 3 yrs and Minor attractions every 1-2 now. I would not only be interested in what's coming, but how they decided on it, what iterations were being tossed around before they agreed on a design, what ideas didn't make it that we're going to see in a coffee table book soon, etc. If you pair that up with exclusive D23 events at the resorts, they'd be onto something with this club of theirs. For MANY people (especially the kinds of people D23 is supposed to be catering to)...the Disney Company IS Walt Disney World, or Disneyland...or the classic films. P&R should absolutely be a cornerstone of D23 and the D23 Expo.

Magenta Panther

Much has been made on the boards recently about how the recent leaks of WDI plans were done in a fit of some intra-company fury at the D23 division from WDI and WDPR because of weird Disney company politics.

I just want to make one thing clear to the substantial number of WDPR personnel who are now actively viewing this message board looking for clues. Your sinking ship has more leaks than the Iraqi navy. The source of this information leak absolutely does not give a damn whether or not D23 sinks or sails this August. That was never the point when they chose to share these details to the world.

I was asked to convey this message on behalf of individuals who wish for this statement to be heard. That is all.

Ohh, drama! :D

devoy1701

Though I'm now officially confused about the purpose of this thread? D23 peeps are upset that this lead was made and it wasn't announced at the Expo? P&R doesn't want to be part of the Expo? TWDC wants to kill D23? Are we weighing in on the thoughts of leaks themselves or the purpose that D23 is supposed to serve and P&Rs presence at the Expo?

Magenta Panther

Do not get the point of this thread.
The rumours on the board are for the most part useless, so every now and then you may have something a big solid who cares? It does not mean even these maybe slightly more informed rumours may come true.

Why is spell check telling me rumours is spelled wrong bizarre?

The spell-check doesn't understand Canadian. ;)

Buried20KLeague

Much has been made on the boards recently about how the recent leaks of WDI plans were done in a fit of some intra-company fury at the D23 division from WDI and WDPR because of weird Disney company politics.

I just want to make one thing clear to the substantial number of WDPR personnel who are now actively viewing this message board looking for clues. Your sinking ship has more leaks than the Iraqi navy. The source of this information leak absolutely does not give a damn whether or not D23 sinks or sails this August. That was never the point when they chose to share these details to the world.

I was asked to convey this message on behalf of individuals who wish for this statement to be heard. That is all.

Love it.

big-balls.jpg

DrewmanS

A company should not be too concerned about leaks when they are confident that the end product is good and will satisfy the consumer.

To me, a company running scared trying to plug leaks only speaks of their lack of confidence in the final product.

Apple believes they have the best products in the world, but they don't want information leaked.

There are lots of reasons why companies don't want information leaked. Most of which effect Disney:

Change in plans (even when things are changed for the better, people still feel they lost something)
Competitive Advantage (getting a jump start on competition - remember "Ants" being released before " A Bug's Life")
Revealing behind the scenes process (nobody wants to show how their sausage is made)
Marketing Impact (you loose your wow factor when information leaks out through other channels, also press coverage is diminished even if "the masses" have not heard the rumors or leaks)
Costs (companies often use shell companies to aquire property, parts, or resources to avoid reveling the customer or project. If people know about the project, prices tend to go up. See 'Florida Project')

These leaks then cause the company to evaluate their strategy on controlling the release of information. Avatar is probably a prime example of Disney releasing information WAY sooner than they wanted, but were afraid leaks could not be controlled. This also leads to a lack of collaboration throughout an organization. WDI doesn't want to involve marking or comsumer goods because they are afraid of leaks, but then the Execs don't support the project because not everyone will sign off on it.

The truth is, we don't really NEED to know anything until an attraction opens or the movie premiers. The internet has created a culture that EVERYTHING should be open and we should be informed of all things at all times. In reality, we are not entitled to anything.

If the internet had existed in the mid-1960's, chances are WDW never would have been built. Land costs would have been way to prohibative.

muteki

Apple believes they have the best products in the world, but they don't want information leaked.

There are lots of reasons why companies don't want information leaked. Most of which effect Disney:

Comparing Disney's theme park business and Apple's consumer electronics business is, well, apples and oranges in my opinion. There are many reasons why Apple uses the strategy they do which don't really apply to the vacation business. A certain amount of time is needed between announcement (or leak) and when it actually gets built. People can find out about the iPad 27 today and go to the store and buy it tomorrow, but they can't necessarily hop in the car and head down to FL for a week after whatever new ride is announced. And Disney (or whoever) really need people down on day 1, not months later.

As for the other points...I don't see a significant impact in costs or lost sales from any of them. Universal would in theory be affected by the same issues but yet they don't seem all that bothered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom