Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

MKCP 1985

It was a walk through that covered a lot of area, the only ride was the Backlot tram. Besides other things you saw the water effects tank, stood above the actual working studios (I remember seeing parts of The New Mickey Mouse Club, Star Search, Siskel and Eberts awards show, and a humungous set that was used to make the Tom Hanks produced documentary "Journey to the Moon" I think it was called). You got to do some blue screen stuff, they had sets from actual movies (First The Lottery and then parts of the Haunted Mansion Movie and I think I remember 101 Dalmatians set too. Then you took a long winding tour of the props warehouse and got on the tram that journeyed through Residential Street, the tunnel that is still part of it next to the costume department and the set building department and they also had other props from other TV or Movies in there. The bone yard and then off to Catastrophe Canyon and back to the same stop they use now except they did change out some of the exhibits occasionally. I remember they also had a spot, near the gift shop where they had a cutout of the Fence on Home Improvement complete with Wilson looking over the top. That made a cool photo opp. moment.

I never saw that Home Improvement photo spot. Cool!

Different area of the park, I guess, but does anybody remember when Robin Williams became animated as one of Peter Pan's lost boys?

willtravel

Mainly because it's not a real working studio anymore. They used to produce some television there, then of course there was the functioning animation studio. Residential Street was taken down for LMA. The stunt show is a bigger people eater in addition to having a smaller footprint. It really wasn't Disney's fault that the working studio thing didn't work out, but it is their fault that they've been letting the Backlot die such a slow death. The lack of attractions in DHS really stems from how much weight used to be on the Backlot Tour (I never got to experience the original tour, but as @asianway states, it was a big time investment). Unfortunately, as they've weaned off of the Backlot, the park offerings hasn't shifted to many new quality attractions. Save for RnR, ToT, TSMM.
I have not been able to keep up with what is or supposedly going to go into DHS, but I would have to assume there will be a name change and main st. of DHS will eventually change?

TP2000

The Backlot Tour has to be my least favorite attraction in the park.

And in its current format, there are few who would argue with that.

But it's important to remember that Disney was copying the original GlamourTram Tour from Universal Studios Hollywood that started there in 1964. Understandably, that was Eisner's and WDI's point of reference when creating DHS in the late 1980's.

The Universal Studios Hollywood tram tour still exists, it lasts well over an hour long, and is the absolute highlight of a visit to Universal Studios Hollywood. It incorporates a knowledgeable tour of a vast and very real working movie studio, with several stops along the way through theme-park type attractions and thrill rides created just for the tram tour. It's unprecedented in its scale and scope and importance, and Eisner was simply trying to copy it because that's what a "move studio theme park" was about using Universal Studios Hollywood as the benchmark.

Fun Fact: The USH Tram Tour rarely takes the same route each day, because the tram route has to be moved for the daily changes in filming schedules on the backlot movie sets you drive through and around and past.

Universal Studios Hollywood 75 Minute Tram Tour - Still Doing It Big 50 Years Later
CrushedTram.jpg

But even in its puffed up and fully realized 1990 version, the DHS Tram Tour paled in comparison to the Universal Studios Hollywood Tram Tour. Unfortunately, it's an even less flattering comparison in 2013.

Shere_Khan

I would be happy to see some changes to DHS. It is my least favorite park. I'm not as into thrill rides as I was 10 years ago in my younger days so I don't ride ToT and will ride RNRC but don't frequent it. We rarely spend a full day there although I love Toy Story. The stage shows while cool the first time are not really repeat attractions for me either. The backlot tour and animation building were much better when it was a working studios. It all just seems so empty now. I agree that DHS could definitely use some upgrading.
I hope that all of this will come to be. I don't necessarily think Disney is hurting for cash because of DHS but I think more people do frequent Uni now when they stay on Disney property.

willtravel

But it's important to remember that in 1989 Disney was copying the original GlamourTram Tour from Universal Studios Hollywood that started there in 1964. The Universal Studios Hollywood tram tour still exists, it lasts well over an hour long, and is the absolute highlight of a visit to Universal Studios Hollywood as it incorporates a tour of a vast and very real working movie studio, with several stops along the way through theme-park type attractions and thrill rides created just for the tram tour. It's unprecedented in its scale and scope and importance, and Eisner was simply trying to copy it because that's what a "move studio theme park" was about using Universal Studios Hollywood as the benchmark.

Universal Studios Hollywood 75 Minute Tram Tour - Still Doing It Big 50 Years Later
CrushedTram.jpg

But even in its puffed up and fully realized 1990 version, the DHS Tram Tour paled in comparison to the Universal Studios Hollywood Tram Tour. Unfortunately, it's an even less flattering comparison in 2013.
This attraction is still running at Universal today?

TP2000

This attraction is still running at Universal today?

Yes. Again, it's the absolute highlight of a Universal Studios Hollywood visit (until Potterland opens in 2015?). Most people go to Universal Studios Hollywood because they are going to get to go on the famous Tram Tour. It lasts more than an hour, they have fleets of huge trams that carry hundreds of people, and you often have to wait 30+ minutes to get on a tram. But it's very worth it!

Goofyernmost

What I don't understand is why did it change? Why was this theming abandoned?
It was a considerable investment in time - 2 hours maybe? We now live in a world where CBJ shaved off 5 minutes due to the need for guests to achieve the MAGICal number of attractions in a day. I can only imagine if it were still open...
Mainly because it's not a real working studio anymore. They used to produce some television there, then of course there was the functioning animation studio. Residential Street was taken down for LMA. The stunt show is a bigger people eater in addition to having a smaller footprint. It really wasn't Disney's fault that the working studio thing didn't work out, but it is their fault that they've been letting the Backlot die such a slow death. The lack of attractions in DHS really stems from how much weight used to be on the Backlot Tour (I never got to experience the original tour, but as @asianway states, it was a big time investment). Unfortunately, as they've weaned off of the Backlot, the park offerings hasn't shifted to many new quality attractions. Save for RnR, ToT, TSMM.

All of the above, plus it was enormously expensive due to the need of many CM's to do the tours. And like it was said...it no longer had anything to show anyone. I think, not sure, the old sound stage that housed the New Mickey Mouse Club is now TSM.

I guess that once it closed up as a studio they just lost the need or desire to continue with the tour when really there was no need for a backlot anymore. It's hard to fake that much and make it believable.

Goofyernmost

But it's important to remember that Disney was copying the original GlamourTram Tour from Universal Studios Hollywood that started there in 1964. Understandably, that was Eisner's and WDI's point of reference when creating DHS in the late 1980's.

The Universal Studios Hollywood tram tour still exists, it lasts well over an hour long, and is the absolute highlight of a visit to Universal Studios Hollywood. It incorporates a knowledgeable tour of a vast and very real working movie studio, with several stops along the way through theme-park type attractions and thrill rides created just for the tram tour. It's unprecedented in its scale and scope and importance, and Eisner was simply trying to copy it because that's what a "move studio theme park" was about using Universal Studios Hollywood as the benchmark.

Fun Fact: The USH Tram Tour rarely takes the same route each day, because the tram route has to be moved for the daily changes in filming schedules on the backlot movie sets you drive through and around and past.

CrushedTram.jpg

No truer words were ever spoken. At best it was a wannabe Tour, but many parts of it were interesting. I did really love Hollywoods Tram Tour and was worth whatever time it took.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
That seems like a pretty good list and its a good point that attractions can be other things besides rides. I think it will probably be either #5 or #8 but not both. Another spinner or low cost/low maintenance attraction could replace it to keep the total count up. I also assume they will add at least 1 new parade and maybe another show too. The Star Wars parades for SWW are pretty cool. A daily daytime Star Wars parade would be a good add.

If TDO insists on more spinners, maybe they can add an element of fun to a Star Wars version with a dualing spinner setup like Dumbo with X-Wings vs Tie Fighters complete with indoor Star Wars themed laser tag while you wait.

BrightImagine

Yes, they had audience participation at the water effects, and a kid was able to sit on the giant bee against the blue screen. The extended tram ride with the CM guiding you along. It was very Hollywood backstage. It was lengthy, though.
I have a distant and treasured memory of the water effects from around the time of park opening. My dad was selected to play the part of the fisherman/sailor, dressed in a raincoat, and directed to shake his fist at the impending storm. Then a HUGE amount of water was dumped on him. I miss my dad, and I often think of him shaking his fist before getting comically doused.

yellowrocket

If you go back and read the development documents for the studio park, it was often referred to as the "Tram Tour" or "Studio Tour" instead of a theme park. It wasn't until almost opening that the official name became the "Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park" and then the "Theme Park" was dropped shortly after when they felt the designation was no longer needed.

Next Big Thing

Disney isn't building a thrill park either. If they thought they needed one, they would have built it. The lack of such a park indicates they disagree with you.
Just because they don't have one means he's wrong? I don't think any theme park in Orlando should be considered a Thrill park. Universal is very well balanced resort. Six Flags? Cedar Point? Those are thrill companies/parks. The closest I you are going to get to a "thrill park" in Florida is Busch Gardens Tampa.

WDW's problem with DHS and DAK is that there aren't enough rides. If there were an acceptable level of rides at the park, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Just because they don't have one means he's wrong? I don't think any theme park in Orlando should be considered a Thrill park. Universal is very well balanced resort. Six Flags? Cedar Point? Those are thrill companies/parks. The closest I you are going to get to a "thrill park" in Florida is Busch Gardens Tampa.

WDW's problem with DHS and DAK is that there aren't enough rides. If there were an acceptable level of rides at the park, this wouldn't even be a discussion.
Yes but at DAK there are enough other experiences to make it a full day.
DHS lacks good shows, except for Indy.

doctornick

This. The ultimate thing is that there just needs to be more rides. Of all kinds. There's simply not enough to do in those parks to captivate everyone for a full day. I think it's more glaring in DHS because the park isn't even particularly "walk aroundable" to just enjoy the ambiance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom