Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

I believe that catastrophe canyon is a waste of time, so they should destroy it, but, if they wanted to be lazy they could make it a part of RSR by taking out the catastrophe part of it. (Hey, it would bring costs down.)

Beholder

I remember when the Backlot was actually an interesting and pretty cool "ride". Being that the "studio" isn't really a studio anymore, it does t make much sense. Plus half the interesting stuff is gone. I hate to say it, but its time has passed. Lets clean the mess up that's become DHS, and hope TDO puts the necessary resources into the effort.

Goofyernmost

Is it just me, or was the SBT a couple hour ride at one time?:D:rolleyes: Bring back Roger Rabbit!:p
It was a walk through that covered a lot of area, the only ride was the Backlot tram. Besides other things you saw the water effects tank, stood above the actual working studios (I remember seeing parts of The New Mickey Mouse Club, Star Search, Siskel and Eberts awards show, and a humungous set that was used to make the Tom Hanks produced documentary "Journey to the Moon" I think it was called). You got to do some blue screen stuff, they had sets from actual movies (First The Lottery and then parts of the Haunted Mansion Movie and I think I remember 101 Dalmatians set too. Then you took a long winding tour of the props warehouse and got on the tram that journeyed through Residential Street, the tunnel that is still part of it next to the costume department and the set building department and they also had other props from other TV or Movies in there. The bone yard and then off to Catastrophe Canyon and back to the same stop they use now except they did change out some of the exhibits occasionally. I remember they also had a spot, near the gift shop where they had a cutout of the Fence on Home Improvement complete with Wilson looking over the top. That made a cool photo opp. moment.

ChevisMickey

It was a walk through that covered a lot of area, the only ride was the Backlot tram. Besides other things you saw the water effects tank, stood above the actual working studios (I remember seeing parts of The New Mickey Mouse Club, Star Search, Siskel and Eberts awards show, and a humungous set that was used to make the Tom Hanks produced documentary "Journey to the Moon" I think it was called). You got to do some blue screen stuff, they had sets from actual movies (First The Lottery and then parts of the Haunted Mansion Movie and I think I remember 101 Dalmatians set too. Then you took a long winding tour of the props warehouse and got on the tram that journeyed through Residential Street, the tunnel that is still part of it next to the costume department and the set building department and they also had other props from other TV or Movies in there. The bone yard and then off to Catastrophe Canyon and back to the same stop they use now except they did change out some of the exhibits occasionally. I remember they also had a spot, near the gift shop where they had a cutout of the Fence on Home Improvement complete with Wilson looking over the top. That made a cool photo opp. moment.

Yes, they had audience participation at the water effects, and a kid was able to sit on the giant bee against the blue screen. The extended tram ride with the CM guiding you along. It was very Hollywood backstage. It was lengthy, though.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
When did it change to its current abbreviated state?
Was it all cut in one fell swoop, or were there multiple cuts?

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We experienced BLT for the first time in November, 2003 and then not again until September, 2006 (at which time I was selected to be the rube that gets all the water dumped on them in the little booth), and then again in September, 2009.
I am pretty sure 2009 was shorter than 2006.
Would 2006 have been shorter than 2003?
We thought it was GREAT in '03; somewhat fun (despite being soaked) in '06; and totally meh in '09.
Would my declining appreciation of the attraction mimic its ongoing cuts?

willtravel

What I don't understand is why did it change? Why was this theming abandoned?

asianway

It was a considerable investment in time - 2 hours maybe? We now live in a world where CBJ shaved off 5 minutes due to the need for guests to achieve the MAGICal number of attractions in a day. I can only imagine if it were still open...

devoy1701

Mainly because it's not a real working studio anymore. They used to produce some television there, then of course there was the functioning animation studio. Residential Street was taken down for LMA. The stunt show is a bigger people eater in addition to having a smaller footprint. It really wasn't Disney's fault that the working studio thing didn't work out, but it is their fault that they've been letting the Backlot die such a slow death. The lack of attractions in DHS really stems from how much weight used to be on the Backlot Tour (I never got to experience the original tour, but as @asianway states, it was a big time investment). Unfortunately, as they've weaned off of the Backlot, the park offerings hasn't shifted to many new quality attractions. Save for RnR, ToT, TSMM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom