Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

NoChesterHester

I fail to see how being able to look across the lagoon is at all similar to obstructing the well thought out blending of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and the Morocco Pavilion.

I believe that is serendipitous design, not planned. You can see both the Swan and Dolphin from World Showcase. For that matter you can see a 180 foot castle from Tomorrowland too.

It's a theme park.

NoChesterHester

It's mostly because RSR is a surefire hit, while a dark ride could be just a stripped down version of RSR without the racing parts. I'd say that's bad...

Assumptions. "Could" says it all. If we got a dark ride with a similar scope to say, Mystic Manor in HKDL most people would be thrilled out of their minds.

Even if you haven't rode RSR I'm sure you've seen it on YouTube. Wouldn't you rather have something unique?

GLaDOS

Why would the dark ride be bad? We know nothing about it.

The question I have is if there isn't going to be a race, why bother making the main attraction Cars? The entire point of the Cars franchise is racing. If they're just going to build a big dark ride, make it based on Incredibles or Monsters or Up!

I realize they want to see Cars merch, but you can still build the town with a flat ride and a restaurant and still sell just as much.

lazyboy97o

I believe that is serendipitous design, not planned. You can see both the Swan and Dolphin from World Showcase. For that matter you can see a 180 foot castle from Tomorrowland too.

It's a theme park.
What was not planned? Eisner was made well aware that Graves would be imposing upon the World Showcase and encouraged to curb him from doing so, but he thought it would be nice to see the new hotels. He refracted that decision and this the next project tall enough to be seen, the Hollywood Tower Hotel, was intentionally made to blend in. Theme parks are all about control in design, not whatever happens happens.

devoy1701

The question I have is if there isn't going to be a race, why bother making the main attraction Cars? The entire point of the Cars franchise is racing. If they're just going to build a big dark ride, make it based on Incredibles or Monsters or Up!

I realize they want to see Cars merch, but you can still build the town with a flat ride and a restaurant and still sell just as much.

I could see them making indoor scenes of racing through Tokyo at night...with lots of neon and forced perspective skyscrapers. They did race through Tokyo in Cars II, right?

GLaDOS

I could see them making indoor scenes of racing through Tokyo at night...with lots of neon and forced perspective skyscrapers. They did race through Tokyo in Cars II, right?

Maybe. But being on RSR, the best part is racing through all that rock work. We'll see.

IWant2GoNow

Completely agree.

The Cars Land portion of this rework still bothers the heck out of me if it's true. We have a perfectly good "Pixar Place" section with VERY little Pixar supporting it. Why have a Pixar Place AND Cars Land? The space from the Backlot Tour should house at least 2 Pixar attractions not counting they should just put the door coaster into the Soundstage. Now, one of those attractions can be Cars themed, I have no problem with that. I just feel having an entire (or whatever dumbed down version DHS gets) Cars Land next to Pixar Place is kinda silly when there are so many other Pixar franchises that aren't represented. Up!, Incredibles, Wall-E... They need to expand & round out Pixar Place, not add a new land comprised of a Pixar franchise.

Still excited to see if any of this comes up at D23 & what if any of it is true. Thanks for those who are providing the info. Gives us something to keep ourselves occupied until August. :)

Goofyernmost

englanddg said:
RSR was ok, but my god was the Imagineer I dined with (Diego Parris) upset when I called it a modified version of Test Track!​
But, it IS!​
I don't blame him. The only thing similar is the ride vehicle. Absolutely nothing else is comparable. It's the same as saying the Horizons was just a Modified Peter Pan because the ride vehicles were similar in that the ride vehicles were suspended from above or World of Motion and Journey were just a modified Spaceship Earth or PoTC was just a modified version of Small World! Or the Dinosaur is just a modified Indy Ride (OK, bad example). Or that perhaps a Rolls Royce is merely a modified Yugo. After all they are both cars and they have tires and an engine, steering wheel and seats.:)
I think you are lucky that he was just upset and didn't throw a tire at you. :p

hull327

DW desperately needs a thrill park to compete with Universal. Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster are great rides but then that's it. My 9 and 7 year olds only want to ride the ToT over and over again because at DHS "there's nothing else to do..." If there were more thrill rides you could easily get people to stay longer.

devoy1701

I know what you're saying. I just think racing around in a big warehouse would end up looking like Rockin Roller Coaster.

I think you're oversimplifying...if for no other reason than the ride systems are completely different. But even if they weren't, you get a huge difference in experience with Dinosaur than you do Indy. I'm not suggesting that they just put up some tacky neon cutouts in a mostly dark soundstage like RnR or even modestly themed rooms like TT. I'm talking about fully immersive environments like the indoor scenes of RSR in DCA. They look fantastic, and bringing the ride indoors could definitely help address the downtime that comes with summer thunderstorms down here. Yeah, we might not get the eye-candy of Ornamental Valley from the land perspective (though as others have suggested, we already have Pixar Place started, no reason to build ANOTHER full land for Carsland, just make it an addition to Pixar Place), but we could still get a decent E-Ticket, unique enough to call our own, and not be subject to shutting down in inclement weather. I'd be fine with a Radiator Springs, Tokyo, and Italy scenes all contained within a MASSIVE soundstage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom