Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Don't shoot the messenger! Still waiting to hear if NY Street will be spared and that Honey I Shrunk the Kids backlot set would be turned into a new building housing a "typical" NYC diner. Regardless, the rest of the streets of america are going bye bye.
508yd.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. If this happens I really hope the dark ride taking the place of RSR in CL is something cutting edge and more than just another Little Mermaid with a detailed exterior. The DHS version will already have a lot to live up to after the amazing job they did with the DCA version so I just hope the RSR replacement is strong and we don't end up with another New Fantasyland in DHS.

PhotoDave219

Or not...

Don't confuse wishful thinking and armchair imagineering (which most of what you mentioned was..) with actual, reliable information from people that know what they're talking about.

That seems to be the problem right now. Some people are acting like they know exactly what they are talking about and people are running down the mountain, treating them as stone tablets directly written from the divine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, thats what I'm hammering down: There are discussions about a potential SW/CL expansion with nothing approved or budgeted for at all.
That's what this site is about for you. For me, it's about sharing actual information from trusted sources. Some specualtion is expected. It's a matter of degrees. When the legit news gets buried under pages of "They should do this" and "Will they do that", it gets annoying.

I agree you can't police it. I'm just asking people to reign themselves in. The reality is, the people who know what's going on won't or can't spill yet. Nothing is official. And yet a lot of people around here are acting like they are breaking ground.

If on X-Mas Day someone had told me they heard a rumor I might be getting a present in 2018, I'd be ed. ;)

Agreed. The details aren't all nailed down and a few people got carried away with stating rumors as fact, but the majority of people were just enthusiastic about the potential project. Its a pretty major rumor that has been confirmed at least in theory by just about all of the insiders here so you can't really expect people to not talk about it until all of the details are finalized. People are hungry and desperate for new things at WDW.

PhotoDave219

Agreed. The details aren't all nailed down and a few people got carried away with stating rumors as fact, but the majority of people were just enthusiastic about the potential project. Its a pretty major rumor that has been confirmed at least in theory by just about all of the insiders here so you can't really expect people to not talk about it until all of the details are finalized. People are hungry and desperate for new things at WDW.

No, I just expect people not to be running around creating lists of "This is whats going/this is whats staying" when we're nowhere near that part yet....

G00fyDad

No, I just expect people not to be running around creating lists of "This is whats going/this is whats staying" when we're nowhere near that part yet....

I agree with your point, but this is the "rumor" section. I suppose we're lucky that they are not talking about Uni buying Disney and extending a monorail down I-4 at this point.

Sped2424

While thats nice I was hoping the money put into the park would reinvigorate new and old and make a much more cohesive park in terms of storytelling. Hopefully more light will be shed on this.

NoChesterHester

Even Iger thought he was overpaying, thus the lies about buying 5,000 characters. He's also facing the realization that it's not another Cars, having a different demographic appeal. Disney did not get what they thought they were buying.

You're arguing my point. I want saying Marvel was the greatest buy ever. I'm saying it was a risk. You seem to agree.

Can you expand? How is Marvel not delivering? Is it merch? Because they are KILLING it at the Box Office.

NoChesterHester

Don't shoot the messenger! Still waiting to hear if NY Street will be spared and that Honey I Shrunk the Kids backlot set would be turned into a new building housing a "typical" NYC diner. Regardless, the rest of the streets of america are going bye bye.
508yd.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. It would actually make the Studios smaller, but more dense with things to do. Which could be good... But crowds won't be distributed well.

So they will, in one swoop, eliminate three of the four live action shows in the park. I knew that management wasn't fond of the cost of the shows, but wow.

lazyboy97o

Can you expand? How is Marvel not delivering? Is it merch? Because they are KILLING it at the Box Office.
Disney was expecting to buy Marvel, walk in and change their demographic focus. Disney thought it would be a machine they could use to better target the preteen boys market. That has not been the case. Marvel has added some new cartoons, but Marvel Studios, where the big money has been, is moving forward no differently than they would have had they remained independent. Pixar very quickly acquiesed to Disney's vision, franchises, and is pumping out the sequels. The future will be interesting as despite paying $7 billion to get him, Lasseter used up a lot of influence to protect Cars Land. Lucasfilm will also be interesting to watch as Lucas was long the one to get around, but has now completely stepped aside from a position of power. He'll be consulted as a courtesy, but he has no way of pushing his desires.

Its not even that Marvel is underperforming by any rational measure, but this is Disney where over exaggerated expectations are nothing new or unusual.

Sped2424

Are they killing it in toys though? I just don't know.

When I go to Target, I see 3/4 of an aisle for Star Wars. A full aisle of princess stuff. Half an aisle of cars... and a smattering of everything else (including Marvel).

From clothes to legos to merch I see all the little kids suddenly have avengers merchandise suddenly characters that weren't mega stars such as thor or hawkeye now have their own legos made out of them. Its crazy to see how popular these marvel characters got.

SirLink

And thank goodness he didn't listen to any of her ideas. There are recordings of her taken during story sessions that would curl your hair. She didn't understand movie-making or what really happens when Disney buys a story - which is, it makes the DISNEY version of it. And she didn't really like the Disney version of anything. :D She was the flip side of Dodie Smith, author of 101 Dalmations, who loved everything Disney did with her story, thought it was better than her version, and kept up a warm correspondence with Walt until his death.

No...the most important thing she wanted to protect was her INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ... ya know like any good creative type does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom