Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Tim_4

How do you compare Star Tours 2 with a possible themed land? The scope is possibly Star Wars Weekends in a corner of the parks, that needs a bigger stage, and much more hullabaloo.

Jimmy Thick- Precision presentations designed to reach everyone.
But it's still STAR WARS and major appeal and front page news and all that stuff you've been saying for a page.

Tim_4- Wondering why Jimmy forgot the fanbois after only two posts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But if, and this is my opinion, if there is something being prepared, word would have got out by now just to build it up.

Jimmy Thick- Like when Iger was rumored to be at DHS for a announcement.

If I'm understanding what you are saying I think I agree to some extent. D23 needs Star Wars Land a lot more than the other way around. D23 may be fighting for its existence but a big splash like Star Wars Land would keep it relevant. Where we disagree is that an announcement can't be part of D23 because it hasn't been leaked yet. There's still plenty of time and who is to say that this current leak wasn't to gain excitement for D23?

Tim_4

Even Iger thought he was overpaying, thus the lies about buying 5,000 characters. He's also facing the realization that it's not another Cars, having a different demographic appeal. Disney did not get what they thought they were buying.
You're arguing my point. I want saying Marvel was the greatest buy ever. I'm saying it was a risk. You seem to agree.

TP2000

D23 is the right medium to announce something like that?

I don't think so.

Why wouldn't D23 Expo be the right medium for a Star Wars Land announcement? It's the Disney Company's giant corporate lovefest where every celebrity and theme park model and new technology and old costume they have is trucked 30 miles down the freeway to Anaheim for the show, and the whole thing is designed to generate buzz and media attention, which D23 Expo always gets. Plus about 50,000 paid visitors to see it all, and then tweet and blog about it.

ViewMedia

The only thing wrong with D23 Expo is that it's only once every two years, and it has a fixed date, so they have to be ready to announce something in advance of Expo.

But if they really are about to green light a Star Wars Land for DHS, and Iger gets it wrapped up and signed off by the Board of Directors (a key legal corporate governance piece for any major expenditure) a few weeks from now, then D23 Expo in August would seem to be the perfect place for the Star Wars Land announcement.

The 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena at the massive Anaheim Convention Center will be packed for the Parks & Resorts Keynote Executive Address at D23 Expo, just like it always is. I can't think of a more appropriate place to announce a major theme park expansion than that arena full of theme park fans.

Anaheim Arena Keynote Speech @ D23 Expo - 50,000 Disney Fans Can't Be Wrong!
4621.MON_2D00_1.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

But just out of curiosity Mr. Thick, when and where would you announce Star Wars Land for DHS? They missed their shot at Star Wars Weekends this year, so where would you suggest?

lazyboy97o

You're arguing my point. I want saying Marvel was the greatest buy ever. I'm saying it was a risk. You seem to agree.
Marvel definitely was more out of the blue, but it wasn't supposed to be as risky as can now be seen because Disney expected to be able to start manipulating like they did with Pixar.

It's a sort of irony, a high aversion to risk does push towards some risks when combined with arrogance (not entirely unexpected due to financial success) and misunderstanding. This is what lead to the deal with James Cameron. They think Harry Potter is big only because of its brand, regardless of content, and that Avatar is a guaranteed perennial franchise because of its box office. Like Pixar and Marvel, because they bought the right people, they will have something in spite of themselves but that doesn't mean they're supporting the right type of atmosphere to sustain what they're buying. This is exactly the sort of thing being discussed by Spielberg recently and his prediction of an impeding implosion in Hollywood. Big positive financials are masking a system that is eating away at itself and can only fail in a spectacular fashion.

Tim_4

Marvel definitely was more out of the blue, but it wasn't supposed to be as risky as can now be seen because Disney expected to be able to start manipulating like they did with Pixar.

It's a sort of irony, a high aversion to risk does push towards some risks when combined with arrogance (not entirely unexpected due to financial success) and misunderstanding. This is what lead to the deal with James Cameron. They think Harry Potter is big only because of its brand, regardless of content, and that Avatar is a guaranteed perennial franchise because of its box office. Like Pixar and Marvel, because they bought the right people, they will have something in spite of themselves but that doesn't mean they're supporting the right type of atmosphere to sustain what they're buying. This is exactly the sort of thing being discussed by Spielberg recently and his prediction of an impeding implosion in Hollywood. Big positive financials are masking a system that is eating away at itself and can only fail in a spectacular fashion.
I'm not familiar with Spielberg's comments. Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

Turtle

So you LIKE the Muppets and refuse to believe that Disney might decide that area of the park can be put to better use? What are YOUR sources? Just asking. It's pretty much a fact that the theater doesn't get much traffic. And if parents really want to take their kids to something aimed at them, then there's, oh I don't know, Playhouse Disney?
Every single time I've been in DHS the theater gets packed.

And one of the insiders said that there are many proposals for DHS and all involve Muppets staying

spacemt354

Chili's
D23 is only a little less than 2 months away. Thats when I would announce it and I would hint at it like crazy for the next two months before a formal announcement at the expo. Apple waited until their conference every year to announce their new tech and it was the hottest topic on the internet for months leading up to it every single year.

Me too. Especially since the last few expos have been lacking in big announcements.

If Avatar, Cars, and Star Wars is announced at D23, not only would I be in complete shock, I would be ecstatic as a fan, because that is the those are the types of projects Disney can pull out if they want to spend the money. However, as a realist, if merely one of these is announced, I wouldn't be satisfied, but I also wouldn't be surprised.

The worst possible scenario would be simply a rehash of the Mine Train updates and/or Disney Springs. While I don't rule this option out sadly, this would be the most demoralizing way of handling D23. I'm pretty sure this place would explode. How can you sit back and rest on your laurels when a resort down the highway is building expansion after expansion, e-ticket after e-ticket. That logic I'll never understand, and I hope this excitement and speculation amounts to this option come August. I have "a new hope" that it won't. ;)

bubbles1812

And one of the insiders said that there are many proposals for DHS and all involve Muppets staying
You are talking to Magenta... The Muppets in the parks is a terrible horrible blasphemous thing in his eyes because Disney didnt create them. I wonder what he'd hate worse... The Muppets going away only to be replaced by Star Wars or The Muppets just staying...

In my experience the theater usually has a middling crowded, but it isn't an attraction that no one goes to by any means.

topher

Muppets is in a dull and boring corner of a dull and boring park. That attraction is simply a victim of circumstances. You can routinely walk directly on Star Tours as a result of these same factors and Star Tours ROCKS!
Muppetvision 3D rocks too! Just saying.

Pixiedustmaker

Muppets could do with a new show, though obviously the theater was especially designed for one show. It would be interesting if they could program two different shows and alternate them.

Even if Muppets was too unpopular to stay, (it is kinda in a less visited corner of the park at DCA, a place where Monsters Inc. is often a walk-on, I think the DHS area for Muppets is better, though it ain't no Muppets sub-land) . . . wouldn't they just reuse a big expensive theater for just another show? Can't believe that Mickey is so hard-up for space for StarWarsland that existing, (and relatively young compared to MK) infrastructure needs to be demolished. With a Muppets sequel being made, can't see Disney taking out the show. If you've never seen it then it a pretty good show, and it does entertain young kids . . .

Pixiedustmaker

But just out of curiosity Mr. Thick, when and where would you announce Star Wars Land for DHS? They missed their shot at Star Wars Weekends this year, so where would you suggest?

Don't think StarWarsland in the US will be announced anytime soon. But there is one venue:

It was announced at the Closing Ceremonies of Celebration VI (and confirmed on StarWarsCelebration.com) that Celebration Europe II will be held in Essen, Germany, at the Messe Essen fair venue from July 26–28, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Celebration#Celebration_Europe_II

doctornick

The whole point of this thread is to talk about a rumor and speculate. I have no inside information and I personally don't know whether this rumor is any more valid than any other rumor, but IMHO its fun to speculate. Rather than coming into a conversation and telling people to relax and that they are being stupid you could just bail and read something else. But, it's an open conversation so its your perogative to do that just don't be surprised when someone points out that its a section for talking about rumors.

Agreed! It's fun to speculate even if nothing ever come of it. I understand the desire of some to be "practical" and even somewhat cynical about the idea because they don't want to get their hopes up. But, at the same time, if one is realistic that we are discussing and considering rumors and nothing is certain and may be entirely bogus, I don't see the harm. It's easy to be realistic about things, especially until their is some sort of official announcement/concept art/ground being moved.

Wilt Dasney

With a Muppets sequel being made, can't see Disney taking out the show. If you've never seen it then it a pretty good show, and it does entertain young kids . . .

Including this 32-year-old one. The show's not perfect (Waldo being Exhibits A, B, and C), but the Muppets are the perfect tonic for the overly earnest, big-eyed forest animals that define a lot (not all, certainly) of Disney's original properties. (Honestly, Waldo is the most "Disney" feeling element of the whole show.)

The Muppets are all about not taking things too seriously. Not to mention that the jokes in that show (Statler & Waldorf's lines, especially, but also Sam Eagle's) are genuinely funny in a non-cutesy way. They belong in the parks in some way. I'm feeling better about these rumors now that most people who seem to know say that the Muppets will be retained in some capacity, even if the old show goes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom