Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

Okay then, tell me where. Yes, many of the props were from the Osbourne home in Arkansas, but that's a tiny fraction of what has been created since it came to DHS.

There is no place else in WDW, besides maybe Main Street at MK (and that ain't happening!) that could house it. No place even close.

I think that a lot of those props were re-built with LEDs too! I would guess that 95% of the lights are new, certainly the LEDs are new. They could move the show somewhere else, re-use the chains . . . but it would be a logistical nightmare. They'd have to re-design, re-program . . . could be done, but at a price.

Pixiedustmaker

Also, after watching YouTube videos of Carsland at DCA and having visited the Cars wing at Art of Animation, I don't really see why it would make good sense to have two versions of Radiator Springs at WDW (AoA and DHS).

When I saw Radiator Springs at AoA, it seemed kinda a signal that Carsland wasn't on the immediate horizon at WDW. Which was kinda sad, though Carsland does get so hot during the summer in Anaheim . . .

Pixiedustmaker

I'm late, (Sorta taken time off from all the forums.) but I have a few comments...

1.It'd be wise for TWDC to get a Star Wars land up soon to catch the new fans that the new movies (assuming they are good.) and TV shows are going to bring in. Plus EA (Electronic Arts) recently acquired the SW gaming license and will be releasing a new Battlefront, which, if done anything like how BF4 is being done, should pump some huge interest in the franchise for more games. (KOTOR Please.) and help acquire the younger male demographic.

2. In my opinion the west side of the park is in dire need of a change, it has no theme unlike the east side. Pixarland and SWland will help out hopefully with a Project Sparkle thrown in as well.

3. I doubt this is going to happen.

Designing a StarWarsland will take time too. I'm kinda suspicious (to put it mildly) that construction will start in 2013 (this year) and end five years later.

Ignohippo

Disney has twice moved and adjusted the display for new locations. That doesn't change because I don't Armchair Imagineer a new plan, but it does show your statement of the display being designed specifically its current location to be false.

No, not at all. Most of what is there now (probably 85% of it) was designed for its current location. Nice try though.

lazyboy97o

No, not at all. Most of what is there now (probably 85% of it) was designed for its current location. Nice try though.

Which means that Disney had to rework, redesign and rebuild the Spectacle that much to accomodate the Lights, Motors, Action! arena, meaning they've done before what you say they cannot.

Ignohippo

Regardless of these "rumors", I think the most likely scenario is that we see a Phase One of Star Wars which will consist of the Backlot Express being changed over to the Cantina, Star Tours getting a couple more destinations, Indy possibly being repurposed for something Star Wars related and Jedi Training Academy possibly moving into Sounds Dangerous.

I wouldn't expect any more than that in the foreseeable future. It will take time for any kind of Star Wars land to be designed and it's only been six months since the acquisition.

That's another reason I call BS on all of this.

Pixiedustmaker

If they did "move" Osbourne lights, they might decide to buy some new LED stringers (I don't know much about how the show was designed) as they probably wouldn't want to cut line-voltage (outlet voltage) lights. If they are 12-volt LED stringers (they use these a lot at Disneyland), no problem with cutting them and slapping on a little liquid electrical tape. The man-hours involved in moving Osbourne might well be cost-prohibitive . . . if they wanted to re-use the lights and reprogram, I could see them spending most of a year doing it . . .full time.

Kinda doubt they'd spend the cost of building a new show right after they refurbed Osbourne with LEDs.

Ignohippo

Which means that Disney had to rework, redesign and rebuild the Spectacle that much to accomodate the Lights, Motors, Action! arena, meaning they've done before what you say they cannot.

First, the shown has grown immensely since then; Second, they moved things - it isn't like the ENTIRE thing had to completely redesigned; and Third, there's no place else in WDW that would be suitable for it.

I don't see anywhere in your posts where you suggest they move it to.

Pixiedustmaker

Regardless of these "rumors", I think the most likely scenario is that we see a Phase One of Star Wars which will consist of the Backlot Express being changed over to the Cantina, Star Tours getting a couple more destinations, Indy possibly being repurposed for something Star Wars related and Jedi Training Academy possibly moving into Sounds Dangerous.

I wouldn't expect any more than that in the foreseeable future. It will take time for any kind of Star Wars land to be designed and it's only been six months since the acquisition.

That's another reason I call BS on all of this.

Agree.

The acquisition was top secret, only Iger's top people knew. I doubt WDI was actively working on StarWarsland. The point of the Star Wars acquisition isn't primarily to have a StarWarsland, but to make a boat load of money on the films and with merchandizing. If it takes maybe 2 years of design work . . . plus there is the issue of timing. If after Episode VII in 2015 they announce a start date for construction, I think that would maximize public interest. Not that that is much of an issue, every fan and CNN will be reporting Star Wars land . . . Potterland got a lot of mainstream media coverage.

Pixiedustmaker

First, the shown has grown immensely since then; Second, they moved things - it isn't like the ENTIRE thing had to completely redesigned; and Third, there's no place else in WDW that would be suitable for it.

I don't see anywhere in your posts where you suggest they move it to.

I don't think they are going to move Osbourne Lights. Seems a logistical hassel and they've got a system down where it is . . . that's other people on this thread saying that. It seems to be a very popular offering for DHS.

Ignohippo

If they did "move" Osbourne lights, they might decide to buy some new LED stringers (I don't know much about how the show was designed) as they probably wouldn't want to cut line-voltage (outlet voltage) lights. If they are 12-volt LED stringers (they use these a lot at Disneyland), no problem with cutting them and slapping on a little liquid electrical tape. The man-hours involved in moving Osbourne might well be cost-prohibitive . . . if they wanted to re-use the lights and reprogram, I could see them spending most of a year doing it . . .full time.

Kinda doubt they'd spend the cost of building a new show right after they refurbed Osbourne with LEDs.

Exactly. Hell, they didn't even replace The Lights Of Winter display at EPCOT yet Lazyboy thinks they'd be more than happy to redo the Osbourne Lights display (even though there isn't anywhere to move them to anyway). Hilarious.

Ignohippo

Just throwing this out there, but how big is the American Idol theater? I go to DHS almost monthly, but have no desire to ever see AI. Could MuppetVision go there? It would make a great little area with the GMR and Muppets close to each other.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Hell, they didn't even replace The Lights Of Winter display at EPCOT yet Lazyboy thinks they'd be more than happy to redo the Osbourne Lights display (even though there isn't anywhere to move them to anyway). Hilarious.

If the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights are a large enough of a draw to protect the otherwise empty Streets of America (which would become even more pointless with the removal of the rest of the backlot) then they are operating at a scale where reworking and redesigning is just as plausible. The Lights of Winter did not operate at such a scale or have near the impact on the park that the Spectacle.

FrankLapidus

I don't like the idea of Disney basically becoming an IP farm that gobbles up secondary properties and lets other people's creativity carry the day. It's cool to have Marvel, Henson and Lucas under the umbrella, but they shouldn't be driving the car.

I completely agree but that's one of the issues that arises from the head of the company not having any kind of creative vision. Iger's been pragmatic and made some good deals, Pixar and Lucasfilm in particular, but he has no idea of how to create and grow from within. A company like Disney needs a creative figurehead alongside a businessman, the company's "Golden Ages" came up Walt & Roy and Eisner & Wells, Iger is a businessman but good business deals have come at the expense of Disney being as creatively innovative as they have been in the past and should be now and in the future.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The argument against Disney buying other peoples IP is bogus as even Walt himself used other people's creations to his advantage.

Snow White
Pinocchio
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
Jungle Book
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Winnie the Pooh

More recently:
The Little Mermaid
Chicken Little
Tarzan
Hercules
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Pocahontas
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin

lebeau

The whole point of this thread is to talk about a rumor and speculate. I have no inside information and I personally don't know whether this rumor is any more valid than any other rumor, but IMHO its fun to speculate. Rather than coming into a conversation and telling people to relax and that they are being stupid you could just bail and read something else. But, it's an open conversation so its your perogative to do that just don't be surprised when someone points out that its a section for talking about rumors.

There's also a section for armchair imagineering which is where a lot of the rampant speculation actually belongs.

lebeau

Marvel definitely was more out of the blue, but it wasn't supposed to be as risky as can now be seen because Disney expected to be able to start manipulating like they did with Pixar.

It's a sort of irony, a high aversion to risk does push towards some risks when combined with arrogance (not entirely unexpected due to financial success) and misunderstanding. This is what lead to the deal with James Cameron. They think Harry Potter is big only because of its brand, regardless of content, and that Avatar is a guaranteed perennial franchise because of its box office. Like Pixar and Marvel, because they bought the right people, they will have something in spite of themselves but that doesn't mean they're supporting the right type of atmosphere to sustain what they're buying. This is exactly the sort of thing being discussed by Spielberg recently and his prediction of an impeding implosion in Hollywood. Big positive financials are masking a system that is eating away at itself and can only fail in a spectacular fashion.

Quoted for truth.

It's too early to know whether or not Disney overpaid for Marvel. They certainly paid more than the market value. What I do know is they didn't understand the nature of what they were buying at the time. Since the purchase, they have learned a lot of hard lessons about the nature of what they bought.

cba

Just throwing this out there, but how big is the American Idol theater? I go to DHS almost monthly, but have no desire to ever see AI. Could MuppetVision go there? It would make a great little area with the GMR and Muppets close to each other.
I agree, especially since I really dislike AIE and wouldn't want the Muppets to be gone forever. Also, if GMR and the Muppets do become a "land" together it wouldn't hurt to add an extra ride...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom