Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

I agree with you in this case. I think the film, if it's as brilliant as Pixar's usual efforts, could be the ideal solution to the mess that is Dinoland USA. The film's concept of a world where dinosaurs never became extinct could be perfect for Animal Kindgom and would allow for the removal of the Chester & Hester fair overlay that to me has always felt like a placeholder until a better, more permanent idea for that bit of land came to the fore.

Equally I'm intrigued by the concept of Pete Docter's Inside Out and think that concept could be a solution to some of the thematic mess at Epcot. It's all speculation but they're both concepts that could conceivably work very well in a theme park and solve some of the problems that exist at both Animal Kingdom and Epcot.

I think Dinosaurland (based on PIxar's upcoming 2014 offering) would fit in well at AK, or even Epcot if they had the room, or . . . elsewhere.

Dinoland USA is junk. What would have gone in there would have been awesome.

But Disney, in general, is like those hoarders who collect junk and never want to give it up. Dinoland is cheap, but some guests use it . . . like any good hoarder, Disney will have a hard time giving this up.

lebeau

This is the news and RUMORS section so its pretty appropriate to talk about here. Seems like more than your typical fanboi rumor to me. I'm sure the details are still being worked out and I haven't seen any of the known insiders say anything was final yet, but it seems like there is some consensus that plans now include both Star Wars and Carsland. That could change tomorrow, but until it does its a pretty exciting rumor and that's why so many people are talking about it.

I'll never understand why people enjoy speculation as much as they do. But to each their own.

But if people are going to speculate, they should change the tone and stop talking about these rumors like they are fact.

And I could go the rest of my life without having someone point out that this is a news and rumors forum. I think we all know that.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Everything is foam now! Yeah, I guess it would be hard, to bad they haven't done something like this before, like maybe a dragon that comes up out of nowhere and breathes fire. Too bad they haven't asked Garner Holt to do that. Also too bad they don't have a flying dragon machine thingy . . .
Also...what are you saying? Foam didn't exist in the mid 2000s?

lebeau

Yes at this point I was hoping a controversial thread like this would "smoke out" some of the fact from fiction surrounding what is going on at DHS. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case.

It will all come out in time. Those who know will say what they can when they are able to. Nothing here is going to speed up that time table. Generally, these threads just fan the flames of misinformation.

Pixiedustmaker

They could build something in the Sounds Dangerous theater (like a permanent Jedi Training Academy), Soundstage 1 (like a Monsters Inc ride) or backstage behind Backlot Express (current parade/costume buildings which are being repurposed) without impacting current guest capacity. I actually agree with you that they need to increase capacity first before shutting down attractions -- so working on those areas immediately and fast tracking it can help to relieve problems when LMA/Backlot Theater or IJ stunt show are (theoretically) closed.

Yes, I agree that they could take out Backlot, ideally as the final part of a construction project to put in a new ride at Pixar Place utilizing SoundStage 1. Let's face it, soundstage 1 would barely hold another Toy Story Mania, which is a good ride, but saves space with lack of dark ride scenes and tons of screens. I'm think something on the scale of the Great Movie Ride. An adventure into the world of a great Pixar film.

If they built Carsland in the parking lot (big if), or something else, then they'd have more wiggle room, park capacity-wise . . . though they'd also be the victim of their own success. Build Carsland in the parking lot and you might see a healthy attendance bump to 11.5 million . . . hence all of the other stuff would still be needed. One reason why Disney works on stuff ride by ride, unless they have undeveloped land to put in something big, i.e. NFL.

doctornick

Repurposed into what? if i may ask.

Presumably something for Star Wars....

I don't know if it's true, but some have indicated that at least part of the reason why the DHS parades have been cancelled are because the backstage buildings behind Backlot Express were going to be torn down. They have been used for float storage and costumes for the parades.

FrankLapidus

I think Dinosaurland (based on PIxar's upcoming 2014 offering) would fit in well at AK, or even Epcot if they had the room, or . . . elsewhere.

Dinoland USA is junk. What would have gone in there would have been awesome.

But Disney, in general, is like those hoarders who collect junk and never want to give it up. Dinoland is cheap, but some guests use it . . . like any good hoarder, Disney will have a hard time giving this up.

Can't really disagree with any of this, particularly the last part. It's a shame that they seem content to let lacklustre offerings mount up like they done across WDW, Dinoland could and should be so much better than it is and The Good Dinosaur might offer them an ideal solution to the current mess there but given that Disney's attention is focused elsewhere you wouldn't expect any improvements to made to Dinoland for a quite a while.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not much in terms of ride capacity was lost when DCA was under the knife, (if I remember correctly) Maybe Golden Dreams? They smartly got World of Color and Mermaid opened before Carsland, so DCA actually slowly added capacity, overall, during the construction.

Certainly, shutting down LMA/Backlot/Muppets/Sci-Fi, (Backlot Express?) would be a much higher percentage of shuttered attractions in a park that gets a lot more guests than DCA 1.0 . . . Seems to me that the suits car about quarterly results, not so sure they'd be OK with the chaos that would result.

Actually most of the rides in the Paradise Pier section closed at some point during the makeover. Malliboomer was removed completely and not replaced, Mullholland Madness and Orange Stinger were down for quite a while to be re-themed and I believe Mickey's Fun wheel was down for a period of time.

Pixiedustmaker

Actually most of the rides in the Paradise Pier section closed at some point during the makeover. Malliboomer was removed completely and not replaced, Mullholland Madness and Orange Stinger were down for quite a while to be re-themed and I believe Mickey's Fun wheel was down for a period of time.

That's right, they put LED lights in the fun wheel for World of Color and put Mickey on the Fun Wheel . . . but how long did that take? I can't remember. World of Color opened in 2010, two years before Carsland . . . in 2010 DCA sure didn't get a lot of traffic.

In 2010 DCA had been open for about a decade, and was dragging down the resort. DHS has been open since 1989 . . . for about 24 years. Sure, DHS is not perfect, but its also not losing WDW money.

Jimmy Thick

If they do actually build any of this stuff, they should bring back Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Play it, quick, easy people eater.

Muppets, while I enjoy them, are completely expendable if it means more Star Wars. Its not like they can't move that theatre with the film someplace else without much difficulty.

Rollings will make another Potter if she needs the cash. In this day and age of penniless celebrities, never say never.

Seriously, I would love any more Star Wars, I truly would, but if there were actual plans, or any kind of development of a Star Wars Land, it would have leaked by now. Star Wars is way to big to keep under wraps and it would be foolish for Disney not to say something, or have it "leaked" because the word of mouth alone would save Disney advertising dollars that could be better used for management bonuses. /sarc.

I love the speculation, I love reading the back and forth of who knows what, but its just impossible to believe any of this until I see a blueprint.

Jimmy Thick- Do carry on though!!!

Magenta Panther

So you don't like Muppets and you field a rumor whereby Muppets are going to be taken out. Never mind that Muppets is one of the few attractions that families with little kids can fully enjoy at DHS. Seriously doubt Muppets is going anywhere, Disney isn't that hard-up for real estate for a StarWarsland.

So you LIKE the Muppets and refuse to believe that Disney might decide that area of the park can be put to better use? What are YOUR sources? Just asking. It's pretty much a fact that the theater doesn't get much traffic. And if parents really want to take their kids to something aimed at them, then there's, oh I don't know, Playhouse Disney?

topher

...it would have leaked by now. Star Wars is way to big to keep under wraps and it would be foolish for Disney not to say something, or have it "leaked"...

You're right, they really do a lot of strategic "leaking."
I just don't seem to remember them leaking the purchase of LucasFilm. I don't think anyone saw that coming.
I was all like o_O and then I was all like :confused: and :eek: and :) and :D.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll never understand why people enjoy speculation as much as they do. But to each their own.

But if people are going to speculate, they should change the tone and stop talking about these rumors like they are fact.

And I could go the rest of my life without having someone point out that this is a news and rumors forum. I think we all know that.

The whole point of this thread is to talk about a rumor and speculate. I have no inside information and I personally don't know whether this rumor is any more valid than any other rumor, but IMHO its fun to speculate. Rather than coming into a conversation and telling people to relax and that they are being stupid you could just bail and read something else. But, it's an open conversation so its your perogative to do that just don't be surprised when someone points out that its a section for talking about rumors.

lazyboy97o

Seriously, I would love any more Star Wars, I truly would, but if there were actual plans, or any kind of development of a Star Wars Land, it would have leaked by now. Star Wars is way to big to keep under wraps and it would be foolish for Disney not to say something, or have it "leaked" because the word of mouth alone would save Disney advertising dollars that could be better used for management bonuses. /sarc.
How has it not leaked? The discussion isn't coming out of nowhere.

Jimmy Thick

Its fun to speculate because in my opinion a good reason is, Disney World is not cheap.

That being said people have to save to go there and in the time they save their money there is a possibility something new and exciting could sprout up and that alone will get people excited, throw in a universally loved franchise like Star Wars and it becomes a huge speculation party.

Then add in the people who just like the possibility of anything new attraction wise when it comes to Disney, and then you have threads dedicated to just about anything.

In other words, who cares? Let then eat cake.

Jimmy Thick- Plus speculation is fun, and sometimes where there is smoke, there is a burnt match...Or does that happen in the bathroom?

topher

Lets consider this speculated expansion is true and we are getting an announcement at D23.
Do you think we just get a verbal announcement, concept art, scale model or something else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom