Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

PeterAlt

I take you 'cautiously optimistic' approach too.

However, I think you overlook one Iger policy trait: Iger will spend, and spend big on aquiring and developing franchises. The very core strength of Disney has been defined by Iger to be its ability to develop and exploit franchises better than anybody else. If Star Wars is worth two billion in the hands of Lucas, it is worth six billion in the hands of TWDC. Hence a four billion sale is a great deal for all parties. Likewise with Pixar and Marvel.

TWDC now has a near complete line-up for every age and gender, to be synergetically exploited in parks, cruises, resorts, books, films, television, stores, merchandise. Princesses, Pixies, tween Disney Channel for girls, Cars, Marvel and Star Wars for boys. Iger/TWDC will not be reluctant to spend to develop Cars and Star Wars in the parks, no more than there is reluctance to spend on princesses.
Notice how my position has evolved over the past few months from being the board's optimist to this more cautious POV. This is the effect you (meaning everyone, not you specifically) all have had on me!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm completely against this entire project if Jar Jar appears anywhere at all ;). Not on a t-shirt, a post card or a key chain.

Too late!

2.jpg

Skibum1970

Thank you very much for this info. I can't say I'm surprised about Disney expanding on Star Wars. It sounds like an Iger type of deal - undervalue actual Disney creations (like Lion King) despite their proven, ongoing appeal, and make use of the unnecessary acquisitions. And yet look at the Muppets - bought with a lot of fanfare, but not much of a return on the dollars spent, if any. As for Lucasfilm - frankly, I think the Star Wars expansion you describe will definitely help DHS's attendance numbers, at least initially - but the heat is still at Universal Orlando. That Hogwarts Express attraction has me foaming at the mouth to ride it, and I didn't even like the Potter books all that much. As for Pandora - that does zip for me. I can't believe the Disney suits still think that's going to be any kind of boost to DAK. How I wish TDO and Disney would TRY to come up with an ORIGINAL attraction that doesn't have any ties to movies or whatever - but I suppose those days of innovation are over at Disney. And that is so sad...

It's difficult to overcome inertia when UNI has so much kinetic energy. I could not agree more about non-movie rides. Mystic Manor proved that you don't need a movie. Even the Indy ride at DL, while based on a movie character, does not rely much on movies to tell the story of the ride.

rudyjr13

Do it! The park is a joke. A shell of its former self. Take out whatever you want to rebuild and make better. Please. Do something soon. Was there the first Sunday night of SWW and it was a waste of time.

topher

I don't mind Streets of America to go, as it takes up a lot of space, but it's a shame for the Osbourne Lights. I wonder if they could be located somewhere else. My vote would go to the Boardwalk. You could walk around the lake to look at all the lights, it's a great location between two parks, it will attract locals to eat and drink at the restaurants and bars, and it's a relavitely quiet area for the crews to put up the lights.

I thought about this too. The Boardwalk is a great idea but I don't know if it could sustain the crowd levels generated by the Osbourne Lights.
If admission is free you can expect attendance to skyrocket.
They could consider moving the lights to Disney Springs. Geez, talk about generating some revenues for the shops and restaurants over there. The biggest problem is the proper canvas to display the lights.
I think, as you said, The Boardwalk or Disney Springs are the most logical places.
I just don't know how it would work. Maybe we should ask the magic bands.

EDIT: I say all of this and I don't really mean any of it. SoA is safe for now.

JustInTime

Do it! The park is a joke. A shell of its former self. Take out whatever you want to rebuild and make better. Please. Do something soon. Was there the first Sunday night of SWW and it was a waste of time.

How is it a shell of it's former self when nothing has changed in over a decade other than Pixar Place? lol but it needs updating sooooo bad.

Taylor

I have never understood the point of the Streets of America. It's like the abandoned bonus level that Vanellope Von Schweets lives in in "Wreck-It-Ralph". Just a jumble of buildings and backdrops and stuff. The heck is it for?
It's decent for photo ops but that's it.

Goofyernmost

I have never understood the point of the Streets of America. It's like the abandoned bonus level that Vanellope Von Schweets lives in in "Wreck-It-Ralph". Just a jumble of buildings and backdrops and stuff. The heck is it for?
The point is that when the park opened, it was indeed a working studio as well as a theme park. Streets of America was set up like the backlot at any of the movie studios, different architecture for different cities or area of cities. It has no real relevance now because they are no longer a working studio, but at one time, it was very relevant. I don't believe that many things were actually produced there. The one movie I know was done there was "The Lottery" with Bette Midler. There were quite a few TV shows that originated from the park.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I've not read all 16 pages, so I apologize if I have this wrong about MuppetVision 3D being planned for removal.

I love MuppetVision 3D. It is one of the reasons I visit DHS on a regular basis, is one of the reasons I used to get the park-hopper at Disneyland. It would be a really tragic loss for DHS to not have the Muppets represented like this any more, at least for me. I've seen the show dozens and dozens of times, and I still laugh out loud when Sam Eagle is told he has to compress his glorious 3 hour finale into a minute and a half.

I don't do RNR, ToT, LMA, Indy, or the shows on a regular basis. Star Tours 2 unfortunately makes me motion sick (the 3D does it, I was fine on Star Tours, Body Wars, Back to the Future, etc) so I don't do that any more. We go to DHS for Great Movie Ride and MuppetVision 3D, sometimes grab a bite to eat, and then leave. We usually take the boat from EPCOT after we get Soarin' Fast Passes, and then head back in time to use them. DHS is less than a half day park, though I absolutely LOVE the golden age of Hollywood theme, and look forward to the BAH being demolished so that the theming can fully return. I wish I wanted to spend more time at DHS, and Star Wars Land may help me do that, but certainly not at the expense of the Muppets. Pixar Land doesn't do anything for me, and if that is the reason for the Muppet removal from DHS, my hatred of Pixar will grow even more beyond the level I feel from the destruction of The Living Seas.

TP2000

How is it a shell of it's former self when nothing has changed in over a decade other than Pixar Place? lol but it needs updating sooooo bad.

It does need updating. And expanding. And definitely a lot more RIDES. You know, rides, the things most people go to amusement parks for? DHS only has six of them. It needs at least a dozen more, and it needed them a decade ago.

That said, I don't think DHS needs the major reconstructive surgery a la' the "Extreme Makeover" that DCA got in 2008-2012. For instance, they really don't need to do a thing to the DHS entry turnstiles and opening act of Hollywood Blvd. It's great as it is, as long as they bulldoze The Hat at the end of the street. They just need to expand DHS around the perimeter with new lands and rides, do something to the sad shell of the Backlot Tour left, and replace the half dozen badly aging stage and stunt shows that make up the core of the DHS experience. But major reconstructive surgery and dramatic aesthetic upgrades like DCA got? I don't think that's necessary.

Don't forget, DCA is the only Disney theme park (perhaps the only major theme park anywhere) that had to completely rip out a 10 year old main entrance and build an entirely new one and new opening act to the theme park, because the original was so weak and so poorly thought out that it simply wasn't worth saving. Who the heck designs a brand new theme park so badly that the main entrance of all things has to be replaced within a decade? Disney under Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner in the late 1990's, that's who!

DCA went from this in 2001 to 2010....
sunshine_withplanters2004ah.jpg

To this in 2012....
6_12_DCA_02244.jpg

And DCA needed it, but the results are fabulous.

DHS doesn't need that type of major surgery, particularly in the opening acts of the park. It simply needs to update its existing theme, replace stage shows that should have been replaced a decade ago (or at the very least update their 1990's lighting and audio to 2010's standards), and add a dozen exciting new rides to the park. And tear down that stupid Hat. That's all.

WDWDad13

I wonder if Disney Springs once completed would be a good place for the Osborne lights (spread out over for area for crowd control)

Longhairbear

The news has spilled over to the major DVC forums, and several threads have been started about the DHS makeover. Some are pondering the impact on the Beach Club, and Boardwalk villas. They're asking if the new "lands" at DHS are going to cause sellout dates for reservations at both DVC resorts because of their proximity.
Personally, the pull of new stuff at DHS, and of course Universal will get us back to the east coast using our DVC points. I think we will be going back to FLA sooner, rather than later, it's been 3 years since our last visit to WDW. However, our sooner visit is directly connected to whenever Universal opens all the new stuff. The later, of course is the DHS stuff, being able to book a DVC at the Grand Floridian, and a DVC at the Poly, nothing else is new, or interesting. Until then, we're going to Disneyland! ... and the newly refurbed Knotts Berry Farm. Our Premier Disney AP expired, we only have DLR AP now. Of course once Universal Hollywood is done in the years to come, Disneyland keeps upgrading, Knott's Berry Farm keeps up the quality it seeks, there will be no reason to go to WDW at all, except for staying in our DVC.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Reading through most of these post and was thinking. If they made DHS 2.0, why don't they expand the car park to the other side of World Drive. How do you get on the otherside of World Dr? dig a tunnel (like arriving at TTC) or build a bridge. Then using the available parking lot as area to expand DHS a lot more. Then they can create pixar land, cars land, most importantly, Lucas land!
I know this is unlikely.
Just a thought.
*goes back to sleep.*
That was the proposal. I think it was discussed here a few years back. A parallel bridge to BVD across World would take a twin parking tram road from the lots, around the north of the park, and down to the entrance area.

As it stands I see a parking structure or just pushing out the lots further towards Victory and the entrance to POP.

Assuming it was needed of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom