Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

doctornick

I'm with you on this point which is why I think there may be more to both expansions than what is being thrown around and/or less removed. If the current rumor happens and they only remove BLT and LMA for Carsland and repurpose some stuff near Star Tours and expand to backstage and parking lot that makes more sense to me. Keep muppets and Streets of America for the Christmas lights.

That is what I would expect. But if they are also using the SOA/Muppet space, then I'd expect another 2-3 attractions out of that beyond the basic Star Wars and Cars Land stuff. I'm just a poor slob looking at Google maps, but there seems to be a ton of space between LMA/Backlot Tour and in Echo Lake/backstage to that which could be used to complete the rumors for Cars and SW and still leave the Muppets and Osborne lights intact.

Unless, of course, the plans include far stuff more than people have indicated to date.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That is what I would expect. But if they are also using the SOA/Muppet space, then I'd expect another 2-3 attractions out of that beyond the basic Star Wars and Cars Land stuff. I'm just a poor slob looking at Google maps, but there seems to be a ton of space between LMA/Backlot Tour and in Echo Lake/backstage to that which could be used to complete the rumors for Cars and SW and still leave the Muppets and Osborne lights intact.

Unless, of course, the plans include far stuff more than people have indicated to date.

Don't forget the Star Wars themed bathrooms take up a lot of space;). I totally agree with you. If they are going to remove everything on the original list then the additions have to be more. No way they fit the place and then leave it half empty. Closing attractions to make room for new stuff makes sense.

articos

Not really clear. The most solid rumor here has been that the IJ stunt show will be replaced by a bike coaster (like the Tron one slated for Hong Kong) themed to the speeder bikes on Endor. So, in that regard, yes for Echo Lake Star Wars.

But, curiously, no one IIRC has mentioned Sounds Dangerous or American Idol as locations for Star Wars expansion which seems odd given their location.

I think it was @articos and he later backed off on it, saying something like (I could have misinterpreted) the Muppets theater was indeed part of the expansion but that the Muppets will still have a presence in DHS.

@pheneix seems convinced that the current Muppets theater would be used for a Jedi show similar to one planned for the Captain EO theater in DL.

As you just mentioned in the other topic, I did mention the theater space as potential SW space.

Regarding Muppets, everyone has taken the fact that WDI is looking at replacing the current attraction (which has been an ongoing discussion for years now) as saying it's getting torn down and the Muppets are out. Not the case. There are various options, as with any redo, including reconfiguring the space and tearing down old buildings that are outdated and not useful for today, or putting in new shows in/retheming existing buildings. Muppets are a popular, current IP, with film and tv properties in production. Most likely, Muppets stay in the existing space with a new show (and Mama Melrose gets Muppetized or incorporated more towards Star Wars next door), or they get moved somewhere else, which is more unlikely. I said Muppets are staying within Studios, but I didn't say they were staying in their current home or attraction. I was more specific when more people started saying Muppets were out completely, which is not the case as of right now, and I don't believe will be the case in the future either.

People should look at it from a cost/benefit perspective. It makes very little sense to get rid of a current IP that's already in the park.

doctornick

Don't forget the Star Wars themed bathrooms take up a lot of space;). I totally agree with you. If they are going to remove everything on the original list then the additions have to be more. No way they fit the place and then leave it half empty. Closing attractions to make room for new stuff makes sense.

Here's my thought on a potential build for Star Wars....

1. Replace the IJ stunt show with the speeder bike coaster.
2. Build an Ewok Village play area next to it (I'm picturing in the space between the current stunt show and 50's Prime Time cafe)

1 and 2 are themed to Endor. This can use space behind the stunt show where backstage buildings are (even spill into the parking lot if needed for space). Obviously you move the "take your picture on the speeder bike" to here.

3. Convert Sounds Dangerous (+ American Idol potentially) into a permanent Jedi Training Academy. AA Yoda, more special effects and whatnot.

3 gets themed to Coruscant/Jedi Temple look

4. Keep Star Tours
5. Convert Backlot Express into Mos Eisley Cantina
6. Open up the backstage (where Parade storage and costuming are) to make a Millennium Falcon walk through.
7. Also add a smaller flat ride (I'm thinking something themed to Luke's land speeder or pod racers) in this area

#4-7 all get themed to Tattoine.

Somewhere in this, you'd add a large merchandise store as well -- I'm thinking at the exit to the bike coaster, but if really necessary, you could use the American Idol space. The Sounds Dangerous & American Idol buildings together can easily house an indoor Jedi Academy plus a large merchandise area.

I think this is a pretty reasonable build for Star Wars and doesn't require the loss of anything important except IJ (which is apparently on the chopping block). This is also relatively not disruptive to the rest of the park. Am I crazy for thinking something like this would work in that space?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's my thought on a potential build for Star Wars....

1. Replace the IJ stunt show with the speeder bike coaster.
2. Build an Ewok Village play area next to it (I'm picturing in the space between the current stunt show and 50's Prime Time cafe)

1 and 2 are themed to Endor. This can use space behind the stunt show where backstage buildings are (even spill into the parking lot if needed for space). Obviously you move the "take your picture on the speeder bike" to here.

3. Convert Sounds Dangerous (+ American Idol potentially) into a permanent Jedi Training Academy. AA Yoda, more special effects and whatnot.

3 gets themed to Coruscant/Jedi Temple look

4. Keep Star Tours
5. Convert Backlot Express into Mos Eisley Cantina
6. Open up the backstage (where Parade storage and costuming are) to make a Millennium Falcon walk through.
7. Also add a smaller flat ride (I'm thinking something themed to Luke's land speeder or pod racers) in this area

#4-7 all get themed to Tattoine.

Somewhere in this, you'd add a large merchandise store as well -- I'm thinking at the exit to the bike coaster, but if really necessary, you could use the American Idol space. The Sounds Dangerous & American Idol buildings together can easily house an indoor Jedi Academy plus a large merchandise area.

I think this is a pretty reasonable build for Star Wars and doesn't require the loss of anything important except IJ (which is apparently on the chopping block). This is also relatively not disruptive to the rest of the park. Am I crazy for thinking something like this would work in that space?
Seems very reasonable based on the space. They should also consider a parade similar to the one they roll out for Star Wars weekends. I'm a sucker for Darth Goofy and Jedi Mickey and Leia Minnie are pretty cool too. Here's a clip:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...ios+...&c=3&sigr=11adp0v0i&age=0&fr=ipad&tt=b

SkipperAmercia!®

The thing is that Harry Potter is pretty much over for the next thirty years. There aren't any more stories or movies to be made with it. Star Wars, however, has retained it's popularity for a very long time, and is currently being remade and refurbished. Disney would be absolutely mad not to use this very promising franchise. Cars Land is nice for DCA, but Star Wars is a better option.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Reading through most of these post and was thinking. If they made DHS 2.0, why don't they expand the car park to the other side of World Drive. How do you get on the otherside of World Dr? dig a tunnel (like arriving at TTC) or build a bridge. Then using the available parking lot as area to expand DHS a lot more. Then they can create pixar land, cars land, most importantly, Lucas land!
I know this is unlikely.
Just a thought.
*goes back to sleep.*

mm52200

I don't really know too much of what's rumored to happen and all, but my family and I would be very disappointed if Muppet Vision and the Osbourne Lights were removed.

GLaDOS

The thing is that Harry Potter is pretty much over for the next thirty years.

That's what people here would have said after Return of the Jedi came out if the internet was around then too. Snow White came out in 1937, yet we're getting a huge attraction themed to it right now.

This conversation is foolish and has been going on since before WWoHP even began construction. It didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now.

Potter and Star Wars are possibly the two biggest pop culture phenomenons of all time. Just because Disney didn't get Potter doesn't mean it's not good.

RSoxNo1

Am I the only one who thinks Car Land is a piece of sh**. Based on reading what it is about.
Cars Land is a fantastic land in DCA, my objections have primarily been that it will be a clone of something that will be 5+ years old upon opening and likely couldn't "save" DHS. It sounds like they made a smarter choice by not putting all of their eggs in the Radiator Springs Racers basket. I would have approved if they decided to build a Radiator Springs Racers variant with Star Wars land, but it sounds like what's happening will not include the mountain range.

Pixiedustmaker

That's what people here would have said after Return of the Jedi came out if the internet was around then too. Snow White came out in 1937, yet we're getting a huge attraction themed to it right now.

This conversation is foolish and has been going on since before WWoHP even began construction. It didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now.

Potter and Star Wars are possibly the two biggest pop culture phenomenons of all time. Just because Disney didn't get Potter doesn't mean it's not good.

I think Star Wars is bigger as Potter has, what?, seven books? The Star Wars Expanded Universe probably has hundreds, the Star Wars Galaxy is already . . . built out alot. Rowlings is kinda where Lucas is at post the first triology, she's kinda stepping away, maybe will do more in the future.

There's just so much fodder for theme park offerings with Star Wars . . . even if they Endor as a land, or Tatooine, it'd look good on its own that people from other countries who are Star Wars naive would dig it, IMHO.

GLaDOS

I think Star Wars is bigger as Potter

It might be. But that wasn't my point.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe probably has hundreds

Which virtually no one has read. Especially if we're comparing them to Potter books.

Rowlings is kinda where Lucas is at post the first triology, she's kinda stepping away, maybe will do more in the future.

Which was my whole point, like my post said.

And even if she never writes another Potter book, the franchise is a classic, well beloved series. It doesn't run the risk of becoming irrelevant or not popular in the foreseeable future.

Pixiedustmaker

Remember how there were all of these Carsland rumors for DHS and "insiders" saying TDO would be stark raving mad to pass up on Carsland for DHS and the bulldozers were already being put into position.

Then Disney bought Star Wars.

I think the rumor mill workers faced a little bit of a dilema. They were talking up Carsland, and then more Star Wars becomes a reality, so now the rumors are that DHS will get Carsland, Star Wars and Pixar stuff.

It's like the end to a Disney fireworks show . . . the only thing better than on grand finale is three!

Pixiedustmaker

Which virtually no one has read. Especially if we're comparing them to Potter books.

Which was my whole point, like my post said.

And even if she never writes another Potter book, the franchise is a classic, well beloved series. It doesn't run the risk of becoming irrelevant or not popular in the foreseeable future.

Star Wars has hit the New York Times Best Seller list many times . . . they're popular alright, and given there is so many of them, there might be more page turns that Potter. Heck, they used to sell them in DHS before the acquisition.

Lucas wasn't stupid, he did things to keep Star Wars on the public's radar these many decades. There are so many new franchises, sure, Potter is still read a lot, but in ten years . . . less popular for sure if nothing new happens. People still go on Snow White at DL even though a lot haven't seen the film.

Doesn't mean much to say something is popular, as with many such determinations . . . there is a range, a fine graded continuum of being something or not.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Harry Potter has over $15 billion in sales, and like Star Wars, could still produce a line of prequel works. The SW books collectively don't come close to that total....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom