Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

That's one gigantic resort...Would more than one resort occupy that plot? Not doubting you as your info is always spot on, just seems like a rather large plot of land for a DVC resort.

Area 13 could fit the Polynesian, Contemporary, and the Grand Floridian. And it wouldn't even have a view of the lake. The Venetian site could fit a Polynesian size resort. I am assuming that DVC folks would want to stay on the monorail system and have a nice view of the lake as a first preference.

Nemo14

Yeah Martin, you must be confused....
rolleyes.gif

Goofyernmost

Does!

Seriously, DHS's official expansion plans (not in situ redevelopment which is expensive if preceded by demolishment, though can be done), are across World Drive or into the parking lot w/ the possibility of a parking garage to compensate the lost parking acreage and more guests.
Wasn't it announced by someone recently that Disney was going to move the DHS access/toll booth road to a different location. Seems like I remember that being bantered about. If they did that they would gain a lot of usable land along side the Backlot Tour area. Losing the BLT would be of no real concern since it has been massacred over the last few years anyway. Then there are the empty sound stages that still remain, the Sounds Dangerous area along side the American Idol waste of space that could easily house new attractions. All of this could substantially add to DHS without having to touch things like LMA or Indiana Jones or the Muppets. How about all the massive space that originally was used for the Animation Department itself. I'm sure the current, whatever thing that the Animation show is now doesn't take up all that room. How about the areas off the sound stages that used to be the walk through part of the backlot tour. And that huge building that is used as the Props area that hasn't seen an object move in a decade. Why would they build a parking garage so they could have a place to put attractions when they presently have more empty buildings then any other park (sans Epcot).

I know, I know...Ready Creek! Well last I heard Ready Creek and Disney are the same thing. Disney set the land usage to begin with and they can change it whenever they want. I'm sure about that. Even if they have restructured RC to give it more autonomy, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

doctornick

Attractions that are getting Replaced:
- Backlot Tour (Barely Anybody Goes)
- Indiana Jones Stunt Show
- American Idol (Always Empty)
- Honey I Shrunk The Kids

Attractions That We Would Get:
- Star Wars E-Ticket
- Jedi Training Academy (From My Understanding it would become a show)
- Cars Dark Ride
- Junkyard Jamboree
- Star Wars Walkthrough
- Pixar Ride (If i remember correctly Niles said there would be a Soundstage 1 ride)

We would actually be getting two more "attractions". 4 that are rides, unlike anything currently in the bulldozing section. And the 1/2 the attractions that would be bulldozed barely anybody goes.

You are missing the Muppets show from the "replaced" category.

Also, I don't recall a Star Wars walkthrough or an additional Pixar Ride being leaked (although they would seem like reasonable options given the space).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wasn't it announced by someone recently that Disney was going to move the DHS access/toll booth road to a different location. Seems like I remember that being bantered about. If they did that they would gain a lot of usable land along side the Backlot Tour area. Losing the BLT would be of no real concern since it has been massacred over the last few years anyway. Then there are the empty sound stages that still remain, the Sounds Dangerous area along side the American Idol waste of space that could easily house new attractions. All of this could substantially add to DHS without having to touch things like LMA or Indiana Jones or the Muppets. How about all the massive space that originally was used for the Animation Department itself. I'm sure the current, whatever thing that the Animation show is now doesn't take up all that room. How about the areas off the sound stages that used to be the walk through part of the backlot tour. And that huge building that is used as the Props area that hasn't seen an object move in a decade. Why would they build a parking garage so they could have a place to put attractions when they presently have more empty buildings then any other park (sans Epcot).

I know, I know...Ready Creek! Well last I heard Ready Creek and Disney are the same thing. Disney set the land usage to begin with and they can change it whenever they want. I'm sure about that. Even if they have restructured RC to give it more autonomy, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Yep, the RCID Comprehensive plan provides guidelines for development and is in no way binding. The plan even has to be reviewed periodically and can be amended as needed....

Policy 7.1: The Future Land Use Map and Future Land Use Element policies shall be reviewed
as needed, with a formal review conducted not less than once a year. The purpose of the
review shall be to determine if the map and policies still accurately reflect expectations and
objectives for the future, and to recommend appropriate changes through the Plan
amendment process.

Policy 7.2: The Comprehensive Plan shall undergo an evaluation and appraisal at least once every five
years in response to changing development conditions, expectations, and objectives.

Turtle

You are missing the Muppets show from the "replaced" category.

Also, I don't recall a Star Wars walkthrough or an additional Pixar Ride being leaked (although they would seem like reasonable options given the space).
Isn't Star Wars going in Echo Lake?

And one of the insiders ( think it was Lee) said Muppets is staying

doctornick

Isn't Star Wars going in Echo Lake?

Not really clear. The most solid rumor here has been that the IJ stunt show will be replaced by a bike coaster (like the Tron one slated for Hong Kong) themed to the speeder bikes on Endor. So, in that regard, yes for Echo Lake Star Wars.

But, curiously, no one IIRC has mentioned Sounds Dangerous or American Idol as locations for Star Wars expansion which seems odd given their location.

And one of the insiders ( think it was Lee) said Muppets is staying

I think it was @articos and he later backed off on it, saying something like (I could have misinterpreted) the Muppets theater was indeed part of the expansion but that the Muppets will still have a presence in DHS.

@pheneix seems convinced that the current Muppets theater would be used for a Jedi show similar to one planned for the Captain EO theater in DL.

yoyoflamingo

Not really clear. The most solid rumor here has been that the IJ stunt show will be replaced by a bike coaster (like the Tron one slated for Hong Kong) themed to the speeder bikes on Endor. So, in that regard, yes for Echo Lake Star Wars.

But, curiously, no one IIRC has mentioned Sounds Dangerous or American Idol as locations for Star Wars expansion which seems odd given their location.

I think it was @articos and he later backed off on it, saying something like (I could have misinterpreted) the Muppets theater was indeed part of the expansion but that the Muppets will still have a presence in DHS.

@pheneix seems convinced that the current Muppets theater would be used for a Jedi show similar to one planned for the Captain EO theater in DL.

Praying for Great Muppet Movie Ride in the relocation of Muppets, if it is moving (hope they stay in some form!)...

Magenta Panther

The Clone Wars cartoon introduced many younger children to Star Wars. My five year old loves Ashoka and battle droids and barely knows who Princess Leia is.

I weep for your five-year-old, no offense. She or he has never seen the best of Star Wars. Post-Princess Leia, Star Wars became less about the characters and more about the hardware and special effects. THAT'S why I'm doubtful that the new films, UNLESS they're exceptional, will be the reliable cash-cows Iger thinks they will be...

Magenta Panther

They can put as much money into the Great Movie Ride as they want, but if they don't step up the CMs who are the actors, nothing can save GMR. ;)

Yeah, and that's the trouble with a ride like GMR. It's like relying on audience participation to make an attraction work - in other words, it ISN'T reliable,unless it's very tightly scripted like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor or Turtle Talk. Once when I rode GMR, the CM host spoke in an accent so thick I barely understood anything she said! Yeesh...

Turtle

MMMMYeah, but how much of that Hollywood will actually be DISNEY'S? From what I'm reading here, you might just as well call it Lucas' Hollywood (or Henson's Hollywood, although thankfully that's much less likely)...
Well Star Wars, Pixar, Animation Courtyard. So 3 lands Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't buy that they'd close down IJ stunt show, Muppetvision, LMA and Backlot Tour and only add 3 rides and a SW show. For starters, that's a ton of land being repurposed for such a small amount of stuff. Secondly, even as cynical as we all might be about TDO, I can't imagine that they wouldn't recognize a need to increase capacity (especially removing stuff like IJ which services a lot of people each day).

Do they want to build food and merch to monitize guest more directly? Of course. But they know they need to ride/attraction capacity first to bring the people in. If they are disappointed in DHS's attendance numbers as is (especially people only coming for shorter hours to the park as opposed to all day) then this doesn't sound like the plan to fix that.

I'm sorry, but I'm skeptical. If SOA is going away in addition to LMA/Backlot Tour, that's a pretty massive expansion area which is going to be for more than 2 Cars rides.

I'm with you on this point which is why I think there may be more to both expansions than what is being thrown around and/or less removed. If the current rumor happens and they only remove BLT and LMA for Carsland and repurpose some stuff near Star Tours and expand to backstage and parking lot that makes more sense to me. Keep muppets and Streets of America for the Christmas lights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom