Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

maxairmike

Between the loss of backstage parking for Cast and increasing vehicle traffic, they need to expand the lot before too long. I'd look for a simple two or three level structure on the back half before they touch the wetlands surrounding the park. I can think of a few benefits to a garage besides increased capacity, especially tied to a new parking entrance off Victory or Osceola Pkwy.

JWG

It sure feels like a lot of unconfirmed confirmations in here. Not that I wouldn't welcome Carsland and Star Wars land with open arms.

topher

It sure feels like a lot of unconfirmed confirmations in here. Not that I wouldn't welcome Carsland and Star Wars land with open arms.

Right?
The only thing we are getting at D23 is some Pandora concept art... Just like last time when we were stuck with NFL concept art.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The thing is that Harry Potter is pretty much over for the next thirty years. There aren't any more stories or movies to be made with it. Star Wars, however, has retained it's popularity for a very long time, and is currently being remade and refurbished. Disney would be absolutely mad not to use this very promising franchise. Cars Land is nice for DCA, but Star Wars is a better option.

There are TONS of stories left to me made in the Harry Potter world. I have little doubt that at some point Rowling we desire a new influx of cash and will write more Harry Potter books.

bugsbunny

Fanstasyland plans were announced and then midway through the build, it all changed. Hyperion Wharf was announced and....nothing happened. Pandora was announced......and we will be lucky to get a ride out of it at this point. The Contemporary is being revamped and turned into a spa destination...and that was scrapped. And DtD is now being "completely" changed, but don't get too excited just because a shovel actually touched the ground since I have no doubts the end product vs. the announced product will pale.

If you tally it up, I think you have like $1.5B supposedly "committed" there and in the end, probably a 1/3 of that is being spent? Why does Disney even bother to announce things if they aren't going to build it or if they do, its a watered down version?

Knock down half of DHS and rebuild it? Sorry, but this is laughable given Disney's track record. Seriously, look at the last 10 years of planning vs reality. Unless I can set foot in it, this is simply a story I can only sigh and wish for.

Travel Junkie

DHS doesn't need that type of major surgery, particularly in the opening acts of the park. It simply needs to update its existing theme, replace stage shows that should have been replaced a decade ago (or at the very least update their 1990's lighting and audio to 2010's standards), and add a dozen exciting new rides to the park. And tear down that stupid Hat. That's all.

Exactly. DHS needs a new arm. DCA needed a new heart.

The Empress Lilly

I have never understood the point of the Streets of America. It's like the abandoned bonus level that Vanellope Von Schweets lives in in "Wreck-It-Ralph". Just a jumble of buildings and backdrops and stuff. The heck is it for?
What is the Streets of America for?

Once upon a time, when Disney was awesome, the SoA served as just a backdrop for just one part of just one ride. Back when Eisner would think big!

24073453.jpg

RSoxNo1

It might be. But that wasn't my point.

Which virtually no one has read. Especially if we're comparing them to Potter books.

Which was my whole point, like my post said.

And even if she never writes another Potter book, the franchise is a classic, well beloved series. It doesn't run the risk of becoming irrelevant or not popular in the foreseeable future.

Let's not pretend that Star Wars Books are nothing. I found this:
Star Wars Book sales: $1,820,000,000

Harry Potter book sales are much more, but the Star Wars books are not inconsequential. Both are huge franchises capable of a long life in merchandise sales and theme park relevance.

Skyway

What is the Streets of America for?

Once upon a time, when Disney was awesome, the SoA served as just a backdrop for just one part of just one ride. Back when Eisner would think big!

24073453.jpg

I coincidentally just mentioned this in the "Spirited" thread. SoA was never intended to be a guest area, and is an example of DHS's haphazard growth without a solid master plan. Osbourne Lights were a band aid on this wasted space. But that doesn't change the fact it was wasted. I'm OK if they wipe out everything and start all over with a much better plan.

G00fyDad

Harry Potter has over $15 billion in sales, and like Star Wars, could still produce a line of prequel works. The SW books collectively don't come close to that total....

That may actually mean something except that Rollings has flat out said that she is not doing any more Harry Potter. This Harry Potter franchise is going to have to sustain itself on the books and movies that have already been written in completed. Of course that bothers me because I am a huge Harry Potter fan, but this franchise is going to the wind down because there is no new material that is going to be written or produced it to give it sustainability.

Bparso87

That may actually mean something except that Rollings has flat out said that she is not doing any more Harry Potter. This Harry Potter franchise is going to have to sustain itself on the books and movies that have already been written in completed. Of course that bothers me because I am a huge Harry Potter fan, but this franchise is going to the wind down because there is no new material that is going to be written or produced it to give it sustainability.
The universe with Star Wars is huge HP will stay in pop culture for years but will not have the staying power of Star Wars because of no new stuff coming out. Star Wars has so much stuff to have come out not just the new episodes but the solo films like the rumor yoda and buba fett movies.

culturenthrills

So, based on everything so far (although subject to change)...

BEING KEPT:
The Great Movie Ride
The Hollywood Brown Derby
The American Idol Experience
Star Tours: The Adventure Continues...
Hollywood & Vine
Disney Junior Play 'N Dine at Hollywood & Vine
Tune-In Lounge
50s Prime Time Café
Min and Bill's Dockside Diner
ABC Commissary
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Hey Howdy Hey Take Away
The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
The Magic of Disney Animation
Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
Beauty & The Beast-Live on Stage
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Fantasmic!
Starring Rolls Café
Toluca Legs Turkey Co.
Anaheim Produce
Rosie's All-American Café
Catalina Eddie's
Fairfax Fare
Hollywood Scoops

BEING REMOVED:
Sorcerer's Hat
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Backlot Express
Oasis Canteen
MuppetVision 3D
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Studio Backlot Tour
Pizza Planet Arcade
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Studio Catering Co.
High Octane Refreshments
Backlot Canteen
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights
Streets of America

NEW:
Cars Dark Ride
Star Wars E-Ticket
Muppet Attraction
Backlot Express Replacement
Pizza Planet Arcade Replacement
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano Replacement
Studio Catering Co. Replacement
Backlot Canteen Replacement
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant Replacement

Anything in the wrong place/missed out?

...are VotLM and B&TB-LoS still going as well?
Looks like once again Disney will removing more than what they are putting back. Both stint shows and muppets eat thru alot of people a day and provide a chance for you to get off your feet in ac or shade. Unless these new rides are giant capacity people eaters they are still gonna have a problem with lack of stuff to do.

GLaDOS

Goofyernmost

Well, she won't live forever. Someone else will take up the task. Look how many James Bond books were written after Fleming died. Now that's talent.:)

Bparso87

Again, that's not a guarantee. Rowling has said she would return to the Universe if a great idea grabbed her. And knowing how brilliant she is, I think you'll see another book in the wizarding world before long.

http://www.today.com/id/49177003/ns...iders-return-harry-potter-world/#.Ub3Y55zhcwA
If so it would be great I am not a Harry potter fan at all but cool for movies and pop culture. But never reading the books I don't think that it has a universe like starwars, marvel or DC. There is so many stories and characters in those universes where stories can go on for years. Not saying Harry potter can't expand the universe Jk is a good writer so she can but at this moment the universe is smaller then Star Wars.

doctornick

Looks like once again Disney will removing more than what they are putting back. Both stint shows and muppets eat thru alot of people a day and provide a chance for you to get off your feet in ac or shade. Unless these new rides are giant capacity people eaters they are still gonna have a problem with lack of stuff to do.

Certainly my concern as well. Though does LMA really take care of a lot of people? Even though it's a large amount of seats, I think it's typically on 2 shows a day.

Muppets and IJ though always seem crowded and run frequently. I would hope that additional attractions have at least some that are high capacity that could help. I kinda hope that the smaller Cars attraction to replace RSR is a higher capacity dark ride which would help with what you are talking about. I would also really like to see some sort of Pixar dark ride of another franchise -- Monsters Inc, Ratatouille, Incredibles, etc. -- since so much space is rumored to be used for this.

That said, I would think that an indoor Jedi Training Academy would offer some of the indoor relaxing aspects that you talk about -- and is almost certainly on the docket for this expansion.

doctornick

Well, she won't live forever. Someone else will take up the task. Look how many James Bond books were written after Fleming died. Now that's talent.:)

On the flip side, I view HP kind of like Tolkein's Middle Earth books. Which certainly have cultural impact and awareness (even before the movies) but haven't been really expanded upon. I think long term that Harry Potter will likely have a similar cultural presence as LOTR.

Bparso87

On the flip side, I view HP kind of like Tolkein's Middle Earth books. Which certainly have cultural impact and awareness (even before the movies) but haven't been really expanded upon. I think long term that Harry Potter will likely have a similar cultural presence as LOTR.
That is a very good comparison. Maybe the best one I heard. In years they will be consider masterpieces but I think the movies will hurt that. The movies where just there to get money they are not as well made as LOTR. People will remember the movies more then the books they already do.

lazyboy97o

If so it would be great I am not a Harry potter fan at all but cool for movies and pop culture. But never reading the books I don't think that it has a universe like starwars, marvel or DC. There is so many stories and characters in those universes where stories can go on for years. Not saying Harry potter can't expand the universe Jk is a good writer so she can but at this moment the universe is smaller then Star Wars.
Which is probably better for a cohesive themed environment. Star Wars has the potential to be no better than the rest of the park because its a mosh mash of places all tossed together without care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom