Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I guess it depends on definition of show. Yes, I forgot Voyage of the little Mermaid. Jedi did not seem like a show to me. Fantasmic I considered as the evening fireworks equivalent to Wishes, or Illuminations. MK has almost as many "shows"...

Semantics I guess...

Fantasmic and Jedi are both listed in the times guide as show times. For that matter and not included in my last post there are many street shows through out the day...

*1023*

Incidentally, unlike at DLR, Fantasmic is in a theater with pyro, water, characters and such...

AEfx

Incidentally, unlike at DLR, Fantasmic is in a theater with pyro, water, characters and such...

Haha, if we are gonna be really specific, technically I think Fantasmic! goes under the "nighttime spectacular" header. But your point is very taken, LOL.

Ours is definitely better, I just wish we had that dang Dragon from DLR!!

Mike S

I know it comes across that way, but I don't think you'll find many people that mean "thrill rides". For example, folks like myself would be happy if we just got more rides like PotC, HM, etc. - or nothing more "thrilling" than, say, Dinosaur.

As far as Universal, I don't really consider Spidey a thrill ride - nor Transformers, really. They simulate motion, but they have a wide audience once you hit the height requirement (which is decently low on those rides). Like, my mom has severe back problems plus hates coasters, but she has a blast on Spiderman or even Dinosaur. It all really depends on your level of "thrill".

In a real sense, at least compared to other parks in general (including Six Flags, etc.) Disney doesn't have any *real* thrill rides, really, other than Everest maybe just because of overall stats/drops. It's variable - to some Soarin' is a thrill ride, but 80 year olds love it, too. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. But on the "Disney thrill scale" - I don't think you'll find most folks need Disney to push that any more.

Primarily, we are talking about breadth, and theming, in cohesive, moving attractions. How fast they move isn't really a barometer you'll find many even measure here when it comes to how much we like an attraction. If anything, if you really were measuring most of the crowd here, you'd find that the higher up on the "thrill" scale a ride goes actually can be a negative at some point.

That's why you see such praise of Universal from so many of us who are long time theme park fans. We became Disney fans because we love theme parks. Disney used to be the unquestionable king of theme park attractions. No one even approached their level of theming or immersion. Things that make you go WOW that have moving vehicles that don't really go faster than a brisk walk.

That's what Universal is doing now, just that they are doing it on more "thrilling" attractions (though since Kong is in a truck, that one seems a bit more family friendly). Personally, I wish Forbidden Journey hadn't been a Kuka - it limits the folks that can ride it. Or if there was a different riding option (another 2nd type of ride vehicle available). That said, the Kuka arm really is a great experience and very appropriate - though as the central attraction I've always thought it was more because of their 10-year exclusive contract they used it than anything else.

Gringotts is one of those...yeah, it's a thrill ride, but it's not crazy...I think most folks are able to handle it. There are non-coaster fans who can ride it. I think folks have more tolerance for a) the simulator aspect vs. strict coaster and b) when it really fits the theme so well.

So, TL;DR? It's not so much thrill rides (though we don't need everything "toddler appropriate" either) but HOW they do the rides that we are envious about right now.
I recently rode three *real* thrill rides: Nitro, El Toro, and Kingda Ka. While I enjoyed them very much, I don't need those at Disney World. What I would love is more rides like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, and Splash Mountain, etc.

Wikkler

I guess it depends on definition of show. Yes, I forgot Voyage of the little Mermaid. Jedi did not seem like a show to me. Fantasmic I considered as the evening fireworks equivalent to Wishes, or Illuminations. MK has almost as many "shows"...
These are the "stage shows" according to the website
MK:
  1. Captain Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial
  2. Dream Along with Mickey
  3. (sigh) #INCREDIBLESSuperDanceParty
EP:
  1. Canadian Lumberjacks
  2. Matsuriza
HS:
  1. Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
  2. Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
  3. Jedi Training Academy
  4. Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
  5. For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
AK:
  1. Festival of the Lion King
  2. Finding Nemo - The Musical
  3. Flights of Wonder
I'm wondering if Enchanted Tales with Belle counts as a show.

doctornick

So, we haven't heard about anything being done backstage (except a third track for TSMM being built in Soundstage 1). Is it possible that stuff is actually happening in the footprint of the Backlot Tour and we just haven't heard about it? Since it's backstage, it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to guests.

Maybe we can get lucky and the next time that @photoflight or @Scuttle fly in the area, they might take some aerials of DHS and see if there is any activity.

Travel Junkie

Not that Im doubting you, but again, is there any actual numbers anywhere to support this?

And DL is a different fan base entirely. Entirely different expectations than WDW.

An attraction that that has gone under the knife multiple times for cosmetic reasons in its infancy of operations does not do so because it is popular or well liked. It does so because there are major concerns about its show quality that management and guests have noticed.

Also (again California only) it was constructed with a large queue because they expected long lines despite it being an omnimover. They quickly removed and rearranged parts of the queue after realizing it would never need it. DCA is a park that desperately needs family dark rides and yet it has not pulled in the crowds that were anticipated.

As far as expectations go between coasts. Your comment admits a lot.

rd805

Also, this area (IJSS) will become part of the slow to be announced Star Wars "land". At least that is the expectation. Several things that you are familiar with seeing from the theater back towards Star Tours will look very different 5 years from now.

*1023*

You mean 9 years from now, right?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So, we haven't heard about anything being done backstage (except a third track for TSMM being built in Soundstage 1). Is it possible that stuff is actually happening in the footprint of the Backlot Tour and we just haven't heard about it? Since it's backstage, it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to guests.

Maybe we can get lucky and the next time that @photoflight or @Scuttle fly in the area, they might take some aerials of DHS and see if there is any activity.

I think it's pretty unlikely. Usually someone would report work backstage even if there are no pictures. Even if something was happening I could only be something minor since no permits have been filed yet.

Marlins1

Too many shows? Seriously? It's a Studio theme park. And, how many is not too many? Let's see... shows... Indi, LMA, Beauty & Beast, Disney Jr and a special engagement of Frozen. So, five shows is too many?
Still trying to get used to how careful I need to be about phrasing on this board. I should have said too many shows as a proportion of total attractions. I think we can all agree that the park could use more rides especially ones that the whole family can go in. If they can keep all the shows and add rides that would be great. All of the shows are at least decent IMO but I think IJ is one of the park's best so I would hate to see that be the first one to go.

Rutt

TTE="Virtual Insanity, post: 6743171, member: 89201"]An attraction that that has gone under the knife multiple times for cosmetic reasons in its infancy of operations does not do so because it is popular or well liked. It does so because there are major concerns about its show quality that management and guests have noticed.

Also (again California only) it was constructed with a large queue because they expected long lines despite it being an omnimover. They quickly removed and rearranged parts of the queue after realizing it would never need it. DCA is a park that desperately needs family dark rides and yet it has not pulled in the crowds that were anticipated.

As far as expectations go between coasts. Your comment admits a lot.[/QUOTE]
Yes, one is based on expectations of a once in a lifetime experience and the other is designed for a daily hardcore fan. I would argue that the dynamics for WDW are probably even more family skewed than DL. Calmer, more inclusive family rides that appeal to the larger masses that may never come again vs more more thrilling, ever changing experiences designed to keep the day trippers coming back.

For those Canadians among us, it would be like comparing Canadas Wonderland vs Centreville Island, and most adults would prefer CW easily.

EPCOTCenterLover

I love Mermaid the movie, and Ursula is my fav bad guy of all time. The DCA ride as it is now is pretty good... until the Kiss the Girl scene forward- and the ending is so lackluster. Not befitting a major hit film with a huge fan base. Kinda like that ride going into Norway at WDW now...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom