Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

AEfx

I would expect construction to start before any announcements of what is coming. I don't see any benefit to announcing Star Wars Land so far before Avatar Land opens it just takes the attention away. However it is possible that they feel pressured into announcing it due to the fans or customers saying there is not enough to do in the park with all the closures.

Oh, we will have something significant announced for SW before EpVII, I have no doubt - they aren't going to bury the lead on this one. No one is going to give a turd about Avatar until it's done and there is something to sell, but just knowing a Star Wars Land may be coming will generate an incredible amount of press that WDW will eat up.

doctornick

They have cancelled private events before due to attraction closures - the department that books them doesn't have much power, they aren't going to stop something if it is deemed necessary by operations/etc.

It may be there until 2018, but it won't be because of that.

Yeah, the "Indy stunt show can't close because of things booked there" excuse seems pretty weak. I can't imagine that Disney wouldn't have some clause in any booking that allowed them to provide an alternative venue that had similar specifications. Even if they currently didn't have any available venue (couldn't the BatB theater suffice?), it's not exactly difficult to build a stage and some seating. They could have an alternative up and running pretty quickly if they really needed the stunt show theater to be closed and demolished.

twebber55

Yeah, the "Indy stunt show can't close because of things booked there" excuse seems pretty weak. I can't imagine that Disney wouldn't have some clause in any booking that allowed them to provide an alternative venue that had similar specifications. Even if they currently didn't have any available venue (couldn't the BatB theater suffice?), it's not exactly difficult to build a stage and some seating. They could have an alternative up and running pretty quickly if they really needed the stunt show theater to be closed and demolished.
yeah I was thinking the same thing....surely they have other places to book these events

RSoxNo1

Any chance this might be setting up for some type of reveal at D23 this year? Announce plans for DHS transformation/expansion during Aug 14th-16th at D23, then start construction the following month. Much more effective then announcing Avatar in 2011 and then starting construction several years later.
I absolutely expect Pixar expansion to be announced at the D23 expo. It sounds more and more like they won't announce Star Wars for DHS unless it's just that "it's happening".

mahnamahna101

I absolutely expect Pixar expansion to be announced at the D23 expo. It sounds more and more like they won't announce Star Wars for DHS unless it's just that "it's happening".
What are we thinking for Pixar expansion other than TSPL?

Cars seems to have lost momentum. Monsters Inc is a little too late other than maybe a M&G and relocated Laugh Floor. Finding Nemo already has a show at AK and a pavillion in Epcot. Bug's Life has a show in AK. Toy Story will get a couple flat rides. Brave fits in MK better. Inside Out is being prepped for an Epcot pavillion replacement.

That leaves...
The Incredibles (could see DL's Marvel E-ticket being rethemed to Incredibles for WDW)
Ratatouille (ride in Paris is a bit of a dud... plus the movie isn't that popular)
WALL-E (fits better in Tomorrowland or Future World)
Up (perfect to reskin the HITSK play area with)

Cars will probably get something anyways, but what else do we think they'll do?

doctornick

What are we thinking for Pixar expansion other than TSPL?

Cars seems to have lost momentum. Monsters Inc is a little too late other than maybe a M&G and relocated Laugh Floor. Finding Nemo already has a show at AK and a pavillion in Epcot. Bug's Life has a show in AK. Toy Story will get a couple flat rides. Brave fits in MK better. Inside Out is being prepped for an Epcot pavillion replacement.

That leaves...
The Incredibles (could see DL's Marvel E-ticket being rethemed to Incredibles for WDW)
Ratatouille (ride in Paris is a bit of a dud... plus the movie isn't that popular)
WALL-E (fits better in Tomorrowland or Future World)
Up (perfect to reskin the HITSK play area with)

Cars will probably get something anyways, but what else do we think they'll do?

Cars has a third movie due to come out. Insiders in the recent past have said that DHS would be getting more Cars and Toy Story and I'm confident we'll see some stuff from each with any sizeable Pixar expansion.

Incredibles has a sequel as well. While I would think that would make it more likely to use that IP for an attraction, there's been zero buzz about it. Despite it seemingly being a good property, it hasn't been use in any park anywhere except for M&Gs.

I don't understand why they wouldn't use Monsters Inc more. Putting in the door coaster or a copy of one of the dark rides from elsewhere makes sense to me.

If they keep the HISTK play area, it seems likely it would be rethemed to It's a Bug Life. If they do that, it's possible they might clone a flat ride or two from DCA. But there's never been any rumors about that.

mahnamahna101

Cars has a third movie due to come out. Insiders in the recent past have said that DHS would be getting more Cars and Toy Story and I'm confident we'll see some stuff from each with any sizeable Pixar expansion.

Incredibles has a sequel as well. While I would think that would make it more likely to use that IP for an attraction, there's been zero buzz about it. Despite it seemingly being a good property, it hasn't been use in any park anywhere except for M&Gs.

I don't understand why they wouldn't use Monsters Inc more. Putting in the door coaster or a copy of one of the dark rides from elsewhere makes sense to me.

If they keep the HISTK play area, it seems likely it would be rethemed to It's a Bug Life. If they do that, it's possible they might clone a flat ride or two from DCA. But there's never been any rumors about that.
Why not Up? Bug's Life is in AK, and Up doesn't have an attraction anywhere in WDW.

I only suggested Incredibles because TDO might split the R&D cost with TDA for their Marvel E-ticket.

I'd like to see a Monsters dark ride/coaster, but I doubt we'd get that in addition to a Cars mini-land and TSPL.

Ride and Go Seek, relocated Laugh Floor, 2 TSPL flats, a Cars dark ride, an Up retheme of the HITSK area, and an Incredibles E would be about perfect for a Pixar expansion.

However, I see TDO saving any new Es for Star Wars Land.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Repeat after me 'There WILL BE NO STAR WARS AT DHS EVER' There will probably be something at DL but not the park of construction walls.

All Darth Iger said was "There will be a increased Star Wars presence at the PARKS" nowhere did he say DHS.

Bairstow

Repeat after me 'There WILL BE NO STAR WARS AT DHS EVER' There will probably be something at DL but not the park of construction walls.

All Darth Iger said was "There will be a increased Star Wars presence at the PARKS" nowhere did he say DHS.

That's totally absurd.
In all liklihood, Disney is going to eventually do something with Star Wars at the Florida studios park, but people need to be more realistic about the time frame of any potential expansion.
ie., we're talking about something 5 years out at the very earliest.

Bocabear

Does anyone even know there is going to be a Star Wars Land? All we have heard is there will be an increased presence...in TDO terms that could mean a themed popcorn cart...
I was hopeful they would do something meaningful with the Pixar Area than TSPL....which is considered "meh" everywhere they have put one in...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's totally absurd.
In all liklihood, Disney is going to eventually do something with Star Wars at the Florida studios park, but people need to be more realistic about the time frame of any potential expansion.
ie., we're talking about something 5 years out at the very earliest.

Is it? - not one piece of leaked artwork etc. None of the insiders have confirmed anything other than SW at DL?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Does anyone even know there is going to be a Star Wars Land? All we have heard is there will be an increased presence...in TDO terms that could mean a themed popcorn cart...
I was hopeful they would do something meaningful with the Pixar Area than TSPL....which is considered "meh" everywhere they have put one in...

The exact quote was 'An increased presence in the PARKS' no mention of DHS. This could mean anything from lands to more merchandise (which I think more along the lines of TDO today)

doctornick

Why not Up? Bug's Life is in AK, and Up doesn't have an attraction anywhere in WDW.

How does Up fit in with the oversized stuff in HISTK? I don't see it. It has to be some concept where you are tiny -- like, say, bug size and seeing things from their prospective.

I'm all for having Up represented in the parks, though.

Magenta Panther

How does Up fit in with the oversized stuff in HISTK? I don't see it. It has to be some concept where you are tiny -- like, say, bug size and seeing things from their prospective.

I'm all for having Up represented in the parks, though.

Just had a thought...wouldn't it be neat if an Up ride was built, and it kind of worked like the stretching room in Haunted Mansion? You'd go inside Carl's house, with all those balloons attached to the roof, and stand in his living room, and all the windows all around would be open. And then you'd get this sensation of rising - like you do in elevators - and scenes in the windows would give us the illusion that the house was floating up into the air. After seeing some of the countryside, we'd encounter Charles Muntz's zeppelin and get fired upon by his canine aviators. Suddenly we'd hear balloons popping and the house would seem to fall, and we'd hear Carl (who's up in the attic) yell at Russell to start inflating more balloons. The house's fall would slow and finally we'd float safely back to earth. Carl, Russel and Dug would then appear (via projection) on the second-floor landing and bid us adieu.

Whereupon all of the guests would stagger out of the house and throw up in the bushes... I mean, applaud, because it despite its Ups and downs it was a really great ride. :D

(But seriously, I"d ride it).

Last edited:

Bairstow

Is it? - not one piece of leaked artwork etc. None of the insiders have confirmed anything other than SW at DL?
It's an in-house property with high merchandising potential and an preexisting attraction already on-site.
Disney has at least 3 major motion picture releases in the pipeline to continue one of the most profitable film franchises in history.
They've already come forward to say that they're going to be doing something somewhere.

So yeah, for you to say "not ever" is absurd.

I'll go out on a very short limb and say it's more probable than not that Disney builds some sort of Star Wars-themed expansion at the Florida Studios park in the next decade, but it's unlikely that any such expansion would be ready for guests any earlier than 5 years from now. 7-8 years is more reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom