Why are we fans?

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
I was thinking of something, out of the millions that visit WDW each year, why do only a hundred thousand actually love it enough to post on boards, or have their entire lives devoted to WDW. I guess for some people like me it 'clicked' but why hasn't it clicked for the other millions of visitors?

ZapperZ

I was thinking of something, out of the millions that visit WDW each year, why do only a hundred thousand actually love it enough to post on boards, or have their entire lives devoted to WDW. I guess for some people like me it 'clicked' but why hasn't it clicked for the other millions of visitors?

It's human nature and statistics. :)

Many people buy so-and-so music, but do not become "devoted fans" of the artist, don't become members of their fan club, etc. Almost anything that's out there will have some devoted fans, and at the other extreme, devoted haters. The same thing with Disney. Inevitably, there will be plenty of devoted fans, and there are also plenty of extreme haters of everything Disney.

It is just the inevitable statistics when there a huge number of people is involved. Now, to find the cause and effect of this will require sociologists, and maybe even a few psychologists to analyze. :)

Zz.

Uponastar

They are not in touch with their inner child.

Excellent answer!
I know so many people who come back from their first trip and just complain about heat, crowds, kids, lines, bad food, etc. Kids don't notice any of those things and neither do real WDW fans. We see past it all and connect with that inner child. I'm so glad I do!

Champion

There are a lot more than 100,000 fans.

Just think about the wild success of Disneyana conventions.

kreiderr

I would guess that most devoted fans of DisneyWorld can trace it back to a vacation, probably when they were young, where they had an incredible time. We go back to Disney to recreate that feeling. For me, it's always walking toward that castle. I remember being with my parents when I was 8 and how overwhelmed I was by the size of the castle and all the sights, sounds, and smells of Main Street USA. It's that "inner child" experience that we long for.

brisem

It could be they the size of the crowd scares them away. Some people like vacations that aren't crowd. They want to relax and Disney could be overwhelming, so much to do-so little time to do it.

Karolena

They are not in touch with their inner child.

I agree.

I can't explain why I love Disney so much, I try to tell other people and they just don't get it. Only people that feel the same way are able to understand. So, there's almost no way I can understand why other people don't like it, but I feel bad for them, because they are missing out on something amazing.

dandaman

Inevitably, there will be plenty of devoted fans, and there are also plenty of extreme haters of everything Disney.

Sometimes I wanna see some of these "haters" post here, and see if it works the same way as many negative Universal posts:

"I hate Disney World!"

"Have you ever been?"

"Well, no, why would I?"

:lol:

doop

I'm not really sure why I enjoy going to WDW so much. It's an escape from reality I suppose, and it's just one of those things that makes me really happy.

Expo_Seeker40

For me, I'm more dedicated to the philosophy behind walt disney, the art of the disney company, it's creation, it's direction. The idea of a place i.e. Disneyland and Walt Disney World being unique places that tell stories in detail and provide great entertainment.

When I first went to WDW in 1996, I didn't think much of it except for enjoying it and liking it. I wouldn't have wanted to go back for many many years until I was seeing the celebrations they were having i.e. 2000, 2001, etc and since I would go to Florida every year to visit relatives that live near Orlando, by 2003 I was researching things on Disney, realising how much I had an interest in the history behind the company and the parks.

Ever since I went back to WDW in 2004, I have been going every year since. :rolleyes: I don't go for the characters or the merchandise, or play disney music all the time or watch disney movies all the time. I go for the art, the details, and the atmosphere because WDW truly has something for everyone and is still to this day "The Vacation Kingdom of the World" a slogan they should bring back IMO.

The Magic for me happens sporatically. It happens as I'm driving to WDW after getting off of I-4.

Though I critique, commend, or dislike certain things happening at WDW at the time being...the magic...whatever that may be....is always there.

It once hit me in 2006 when I was on a lounge chair at the Polynesain Beach wactching wishes......only at the vacation kingdom can you lounge in a tropical oasis while watching fireworks over a mideval castle with a monorail going around a manmade lagoon.

Charlie Brown

Well like DOOP! said, it's hard to explain partly because there are so many reasons! How many theme parks do u go to and barely EVER see garbage on the ground or have friendly cast members? Those are some of my reasons.

Craig & Lisa

I had that question asked of me by a friend that I work with. My answer was that when I pass under the welcome sign every problem that was outside stays there. While there, I don't worry about them either. Try not to watch the news, read a paper. She still couldn't understand, then I also said I feel and act like a kid, and have fun with my sons and I don't worry about what I look like, or sound. At which point she understood.But for those who don't want, or can't understand, well..................... all I can say is, more room for us when we go and that means.......... SHORTER LINES!!!! :D:sohappy:

dandaman

For me, I'm more dedicated to the philosophy behind walt disney, the art of the disney company, it's creation, it's direction. The idea of a place i.e. Disneyland and Walt Disney World being unique places that tell stories in detail and provide great entertainment.

Yes. YES. :D

Wilt Dasney

I was thinking of something, out of the millions that visit WDW each year, why do only a hundred thousand actually love it enough to post on boards, or have their entire lives devoted to WDW.

I would point out that those are two distinct categories, even within this site. I'm part of the first.

(I don't so much understand the second category myself...but more power to all of you.) :lookaroun :lol: :wave:

ScottNBecky

I think there are plenty who just "get" Disney and love it, but dont realize that there are message boards out there. I didnt know until after my first few trips to the World.

EpcotServo

I think it's because I grew up with it. It's part of my past, part of my present, and will always be part of my future.

"You know what...I don't know how we were created.......But I do know how we'll end." -click click-
-Frylock, Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie

:lol:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
I think there are plenty who just "get" Disney and love it, but dont realize that there are message boards out there. I didnt know until after my first few trips to the World.

i agree with this. i've loved wdw and felt the magic since my first trip in 2001, but i never knew there were this many people who felt the same, though i should have. let me see if i can explain.
there are times i talk about my trips and people are interested and polite and listen and say they too want to go sometime, or have gone and liked it there.
but then there are people who i can tell get it wholeheartedly when i talk about my trips. you can just tell by their eyes who feels just like i do about wdw. they get it. they absolutely understand.
in person, i only know of 2 people who are in the 2nd category, but many who are in the first. this forum is like the 2nd category, a very small percentage of the people.
its just nice to know there are others like me.
i am taking my mother for her first trip in january. i was telling her about this forum and what a wonderful place it is to find out answers to planning questions and such. i was also telling her that, see, i'm not the only one who loves wdw. and she said, good, are there any single men that love it as much as you do? mothers.:rolleyes:

Pete C

It definitely has a lot to do with the nostalgic feeling. When I enter the Magic Kingdom there is a feeling I get that cannot be replicated anywhere else, but it is more than just that. I have no nostalgic connection with Animal Kingdom or DisneySea, but even they give me that feeling of awe and wonder that keep me wanting to see every Disney park in the world. When I go to these parks, I really feel like I am in the creator's world. I think people with vivid imaginations tend to enjoy theme parks a lot more. I think some people just don't care. They will ride Pirates and just see a bunch of robots. They will will not sit there and look at all the detail and say "How did they do that?" Others give it no respect and say that it is all "fake" or some ridiculous statement like that, or say that it is all just a big marketing machine trying to make you spend money. They just don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom