Why are there so many people who don't like Epcot??

Epcot82Guy

Grim Grinner said:
I fell in love with Epcot the day my family was sent a full-color brochure advertising each of the pavillions. It even had the Living Seas shown, although it would be years before that was actually made.

I'll never forget my first trip there. From Horizons to Spaceship Earth, I was instilled with an optimism for the future. The future of mankind seemed tangible and wonderous. The World Showcase had left me flat at first, but as I matured I began to explore it.

I used to ride Horizons over and over- I loved the multiple endings you could choose. In one night I rode World of Motion 15 times in a row just for that surround IMAX screen that made you seem like you were going so fast (the effect was also used in If You Had Wings).

The original Imagination fueled my mind and also was a favorite. Living Seas prompted me into studying undersea life and its exploration.

In 2000, my wife and I went down to Orlando for our honeymoon. Our first stop was Epot, with the intention of riding Horizons. Sadly, although the structure was still standing- the ride had just closed. Test Track ended up being the first ride we had together... and we still have the picture that was taken.

Epcot is our favorite park. You don't have to endure the screaming kids and stroller parades. You learn something new every time, and you gain a small appreciation for where mankind's been and where he just might be going.

(coincidentally, MGM is our least favorite park- because it is Epcot's antithesis)

I agree. It's that senseof optimism that is disappearing in the new attractions, with the exception perhaps of Illuminations and Soarin'. It is still my favorite, but I do yearn for that feeling even without the old attractions.

Craig & Lisa

My sons are 10 and 12 respectively, they have never said they didn't like EPCOT at all in the 13 visits we have had since 97. All I can say is different strokes.

lcsrig

EPCOT is our family's favorite park, too. We love the laidback atmosphere of World Showcase. I could spend several days going from country to country eating, drinking and shopping.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Epcot of today is a totally different place than when it first opened.

(I know Capt. Obvious here)

tink rules

Well I hope it's not too far off. Future World is starting to look shabby and I know that the pavilions are sponsored and all, but when I took the monorail from the MK to Epcot you rode in over lots of places that needed replacing and sprucing up. I think they should bring it into the 21st century...it's the era of ipods etc... and Epcot looks a bit like the cassette player that was in my Chevette.... :)

tink rules

lcsrig said:
EPCOT is our family's favorite park, too. We love the laidback atmosphere of World Showcase. I could spend several days going from country to country eating, drinking and shopping.

I wish they would put the energy and enthusiasm that comes with the countries and put that into Future World... If TT and MS is their idea of the next generation, no wonder some people are turned off. I used to get excited at just the music and the atmosphere that brought you into the pavilions. Now it seems very mixed up and nothing flows. I know they are redoing alot of the insides and TT and MS was redone from old.. They need to re capture, dare I say it... The magic???? MK thrives on nostalgia.... Epcot is supposed to look ahead, not stay behind.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
WeLuvDisney said:
When I was younger I HATED Epcot. I actually dreaded going there everytime my parents told us we had to. As I have matured, I grew to love it. Its one of my favorite parks. Its nice to see all the different cultures out there and to taste all of the foods.

I Love Epcot!

I agree 100% with your post...that's exactly how i felt/feel about EPCOT :wave:

~~79 Days

PintoColvig

I haven't bothered to read the other posts (sorry!) but the topic caught my eye. I've only encountered one couple who didn't like Epcot and, unfortunately, I invited them on a trip with my family to WDW (BIG MISTAKE!) At the time, Epcot was my wife's and my hands-down favorite park. We walked in to Epcot and back out within 90 minutes because the other couple were whining about liking the MK better. They didn't even give Epcot a chance. And therein lies the problem. I figure people who don't like Epcot do not give it a chance to be the park it is supposed to be. They judge Epcot as they would a thrill park and they come up disappointed in it. Epcot needs to be judged without consideration of what other theme parks are like. It needs to be judged at face value for what it's attempting to present.

**Steps off stump**:lookaroun

Glasgow

I think it's a little bit like a museum. When you are young you just look at the paintings and run through the place. However, when you are a little older you stop to read the descriptions and notice the details. I'm not saying you need to be older to enjoy it, mind you, but I think a lot of the details are missed by little kids.

It's all about the details .. DAK is much the same, IMO

pinkrose

Our family loves Epcot. It's probably my daughters favorite park. When she was younger, she called Spaceship Earth "Hepcot". She couoldn't pronounce Epcot. It was cute. Now that she's 9, Spaceship Earth is still one of her favorite rides.

ChuckElias

pinkrose said:
Our family loves Epcot. It's probably my daughters favorite park. When she was younger, she called Spaceship Earth "Hepcot". She couoldn't pronounce Epcot.
My nephew is 8 and he used to call Spaceship Earth "Epacot". :)

justducky78

I love Epcot! Especially the World Showcase. But, I have to admit it's changed a lot...our a recent trip Univ or Energy, Wonders of Life and the Living Seas was closed.

Horizons is gone (replaced by Mission Space) and World of Motion is gone (now Test Track).

Change is necessary, but I'm not sure I like the direction they're going. Also - like people have said, it's the more "educational park" so for some reason, a lot of people aren't interested. :lookaroun

tink rules

justducky78 said:
I love Epcot! Especially the World Showcase. But, I have to admit it's changed a lot...our a recent trip Univ or Energy, Wonders of Life and the Living Seas was closed.

Horizons is gone (replaced by Mission Space) and World of Motion is gone (now Test Track).

Change is necessary, but I'm not sure I like the direction they're going. Also - like people have said, it's the more "educational park" so for some reason, a lot of people aren't interested. :lookaroun

I just hope that they figure it out and soon.

You know... I am amazed at how much they can theme the resorts and yes, even the parks, but they seem to be stuck in a time warp as far as Future World is concerned. I think they can redesign the whole area and incorporate the established, like the Land, etc... and make it look like it's in the 21st century. When I came in on the monorail in Dec.. it looked like Future world was in disrepair and they need to also do up the areas on the roofs of the buildings that the monorail goes over. Too many people see it to leave it falling apart and not painted to match.

On that note... I LOVE WORLD SHOWCASE!!!! It seems they keep that up better than FW...

Nostalgia is one thing, but even they update Main Street from time to time....

Figments Friend

cac2889 said:
Don't worry... BIG fan of EPCOT here. Its my favorite park. And its the only park that REALLY knows how to have a fireworks display. :D

YES!!!! ( punches air with fist)

Thank you for posting this! I totally agree with every letter above!

EPCOT RULES SUPREME!!!!!

i love epcot it relaxes me so much and gives me so much to look at and learn about the world. im only 19 and all my friends that have been think epcot is boring but i think it is great, i mean ya cant say there aint good rides, i mean cummon mission space, test track for thoose who like big thrills:brick:. i dont c why people dont like the park i really dont. i really enjoy going there. :wave:

wannabeBelle

Hey everyone, Let's keep this one quiet!!!! It will be afew less people on the line for Soarin' in front of us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Belle

Pippa

I adore Epcot and as much as I love the other parks, if I had only one day left to live I would spend it at Epcot. And you have to love the Flower & Garden and Food & Wine Festivals as well as Holidays Around The World.

Just for the record the UK pavillion is very authentic, I live a short distance from quaint little villiages that look like that and have pubs just like the Rose & Crown (without the air con!!).

GrimmGhosts999

i don't know why people seem to not like EPCOT as the other theme parks. I didn't really care for it when I was a kid, but now that I'm in my 20's, I really enjoy it. I love to walk around World Showcase and just chill out. EPCOT is one of the only parks that you can relax and take your time. It's a little more slow-paced.

wannab@dis

I think some of you are forgetting a simple fact. Not only did you grow up, but Epcot actually changed into a much better park. There's a reason so many didn't think it was that great 10 years ago... because it wasn't. It was tired and needed to be fixed. They are now doing that and it's rising in popularity. There's still more to do, but it's looking much better now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom