Why are there so many people who don't like Epcot??

tink81

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Wait a second wasn't EPCOT Center originally dubbed "the future as built by republicans"?! :p :kiss:

:lol: hehe

I love EPCOT, I always have and always will. I love the fact that I can spend an hour or two at Living Seas and no one will hurry me along, I love that I know how hydroponic plants are grown, I love O Canada! even if it's never changed since I was 6, I love Innoventions, Imagination, Mission Space, Test Track and all the countries in WS. I love that my parents thought it would be a good idea to take me to Disney World when I was 5 and unbeknownst to me, I learned a lot of interesting things and experienced things I wold never have had the oppertunity to experience otherwise.

tink81

Jen Jen said:
Slight edit? You edited out the point, actually, but maybe you weren't trying to, maybe you just didn't get it.

As I believe I said, it's the fact that we deal with so much information at work that causes us to not wish to learn anything on our vacation that absolves us. That's what vacations are for as far as we're concerned. Way to twist it around to blame it on conservatism, though.

Give me a break, the saddest thing you've ever heard. I don't recall saying I never learn anything, so keep your tears to yourself, thank you very much. And no, we've never gone on any ride at The Land besides Soarin', so we know nothing about hydroponic plants. We've never been to Universe of Energy, what in the world is there to learn about cuisine that we didn't know already except what places fix food that tastes good and what places don't, never watched the China movie, never went into the church at Norway, can't stand anything to do with France or Canada, and don't take the time to memorize where the restrooms are...if I need one, I look for a sign. So no, I never learned any of those things, believe it or not, yet while not on vacation I've learned enough to know what your questions were referring to...even since 6th grade. Amazing.

How about you do your vacation your way, and let me do my vacation my way. You know, tolerance. Cool?

WHOOAAA! Just cought this on a re-read of the thread. Rude much?

kachow

cac2889 said:
wow...uh. That is pretty bad. I can't believe she said that.

Asking for tolerance in the same post where you write that you can't stand Canada or France - classic! Pass the freedom fries. :lol:

cloudboy

Anyhow, back to Epcot...

I think that part of the problem is that we are one culture divided by a comon language. Perhaps Educational is the wrong term to use here, because I believe some people associate Educational as something where you passivly sit and listen as someone else explains things. And that is NOT what Epcot is about. Epcot is about Experience and Information. And Information isn't just an encyclopedia - it's sharing and exposure to new ideas. And for many, many people, that is the new entertainment of the future. Heck, if you are on WDWMagic, it's because you care to discuss WDW - share information.

Some of the Early rides may have been a bit too static - I am thinking SpaceShip Earth here - where you had a nice little lecture about a subject with cool visuals. 25 years ago this was fine - today we learn that stuff by middle school. What really works for Epcot are the more opne-ended rides - like World of Motion and Horizons - which presented you with a subject and invited you to explore it - if not by later exhibits, at least imaginately. This is one reason I think WoM was such a great ride. You had a nice history presentation to open your imagination, then a great post-show to explore.

Not everyone likes exploring new ideas - they can be pretty scary, there is a lot of negative potential about the unknown and unfamilliar. SO Epcot really was not for everyone. But we are in a time when we have become re-entranced by technology and the future, and I think Epcot needs to refocus itself on exploring it instead of shying away from it.

PintoColvig

cloudboy said:
I think that part of the problem is that we are one culture divided by a comon language. Perhaps Educational is the wrong term to use here, because I believe some people associate Educational as something where you passivly sit and listen as someone else explains things. And that is NOT what Epcot is about. Epcot is about Experience and Information. And Information isn't just an encyclopedia - it's sharing and exposure to new ideas. And for many, many people, that is the new entertainment of the future. Heck, if you are on WDWMagic, it's because you care to discuss WDW - share information.
I think you are on to something here. Epcot's focus is about experiencing information. (How appropriate is it then that the focal attraction of Epcot is SSE, where the sharing of information is the theme?)

I would describe this experience of information to be the engaging our intellect at the point of entertainment. And that's not a bad thing. My favorite teachers were those that entertained me. I found that those same teachers taught me more than others typically did.

If information sharing is central to Epcot's mission then its mission is superior to the other parks, IMO. The other three parks, as wonderful as they are, are more about escape. That is certainly fine because we all need and desire that escape at times. But Epcot is not about escape as much as refocusing us. We are called to reflect upon our world and its diverse environments and to think differently and, hopefully, be a better contributor to our world. It is a very noble idea. For those who want escape and just plain entertainment, Epcot provides that. But don't be surprised if Disney slips a fast one on you and teaches you a thing or two while you are being entertained.

BTW, here is a question to ask in response to the original question...
If so many people do not like Epcot, why is it the third most visited theme park in North America (behind only MK and DL)? Perhaps it just seems like many do not like it, like the friends of mine that I posted about earlier. Nevertheless, it appears that far many more do.

KaliSplash

Still trying to cling to the original question here, I find I like the parks in order of creation. But it is close between MK and Epcot for Number 1.

CoffeeJedi

while its true, there are conservative intellectuals (some very good friends of mine actually, our debates are phenomenal)
lady... you ain't one of 'em!

and, just in case you missed it the first time, this guy's thoughts on Epcot are really interesting:
http://epcot82.blogspot.com/
even if you don't agree with him completely, he always brings up good points

cloudboy

I don't know if the other parks are really about Escapism, though. The MK is about active imagination - stories, etc. In many cases, it comes the closest to a living storybook world, although I think the focus on movie tie-ins is starting to erode that. Studios is more about active thrills and the rush - it is the one park where I think more thrill rides would fit. Animal Kingdom is about the natural world, obviously. Epcot is/was really two parks - One about technology and har science, and one about other cultures. The question is, how is this being eroded?

autumndawn1006

wannabeBelle said:
Well said Chuck, Ill make you a deal, next time you and I are there together we can meet up by Canada to learn new musical styles for Celtic music and the effect of fermented beverages on organic lifeforms??? Belle[/quote

If you find me a college with this course offering, I'm changing my Master's.

nelsonj3

MayKit said:
are the people who won't take their kids to Epcot because their kids "don't wanna go." Are there that many people who let their child run the WHOLE vacation? If the kids end up not liking it after they go, fine, but, well, didn't everyone get dragged somewhere they weren't crazy about on vacation because their parents wanted to go?

My parents actually took me to Epcot first on my first trip to WDW in 1985. My mom told me later that she wanted us (my siblings and I) to appreciate Epcot as much as MK, and that she was afraid that if she took us to MK first, we wouldn't like Epcot. Now, Epcot is still my favorite park.

Go Figure. :wave:

wannabeBelle

autumndawn1006 said:
wannabeBelle said:
Well said Chuck, Ill make you a deal, next time you and I are there together we can meet up by Canada to learn new musical styles for Celtic music and the effect of fermented beverages on organic lifeforms??? Belle[/quote

If you find me a college with this course offering, I'm changing my Master's.
I am not sure sure about a college specifically but more the school of Life as learned in the far left hand corner of Canada's Pavilion!!! Belle

TheSuperTom

I don't know how anyone can HATE Epcot. I know I personally Love Epcot, even though some of the changes to it haven't been great. Like many, I miss alot of the good edu-tainment of the original E.P.C.O.T. Center, but the greatness of Epcot will never change, an Eternal World's Fair. And besides, Epcot has two of my favorite rides, Soarin' and the Monorail.

Cliff

It's funny,...I don't know why this thread is labled what it is. EPCOT Center is an incredably "well liked" park relative to all other parks in the US. (including non-Disney)

Here are the 2005 attendence estimates:

1. Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
2. Disneyland
3. Epcot
4. Disney-MGM Studios
5. Disney's Animal Kingdom
6. Universal Studios Florida
7. Disney's California Adventure
8. Universal's Islands of Adventure
9. SeaWorld Orlando
10. Universal Studios Hollywood
11. Busch Gardens Tampa
12. SeaWorld San Diego
13. Knott's Berry Farm
14. Paramount's Kings Island
15. Cedar Point
16. Six Flags Great Adventure

EPCOT Center is ranked #3 in the US? Statistically speaking, MGM is more "not well liked" than EPCOT Center. lol

I'd say that EPCOT Center is VERY well liked and hugely popular!

Videoteck

wow cant beileve I didnt see this topic before...

I havent heard anybody say they dont like Epoct.
Epcot maybe the most favorite park, that or MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom