Trip Report Whoa, Wait a Minute......Weren't You JUST There??!! *COMPLETED*

Hi, my name is Tuvalu and I am a Disneyholic.

(Go on, respond "Hi Tuvalu." I'll wait.)

My last trip to WDW was June 4-12, 2016. Before that May 3-8, 2016. Before that April 3-9, 2016. And my first trip of 2016 was February 18-22. If you are curious about those trip reports, they can be found here:

February ~ http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/up-where-they-walk-up-where-they-run-19-3-miles.910930/ (Written by my DDD ~ Darling Disney Daughter :p)
April ~ http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/go-with-the-flow-its-spring-break-you-know-completed.912354/
May ~ http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/relaxin-on-the-rue-dbaga-completed.913182/

In the interest of full disclosure, I have three more trips planned for 2016 ~ July, October and December.

Can't. Stop. Going.

It is never my intention to be boastful about my vacation frequency. I am very aware of how fortunate I am. If not for the good friends I have made on this site, I would not be posting trip reports at all. So a big thank you to all who have encouraged and supported me. Your kindness means a lot.

Now, on with our most recent adventure!

The deets:
Cast ~ Tuvalu, Woody and Em
Date ~ June 4-12, 2016
Resorts ~ Port Orleans French Quarter & Polynesian Village

image.jpeg

Did we have fun? You betcha! Even Tropical Storm Colin couldn't dampen our joy :D.

Stay tuned....

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

MinnieM123

Premium Member
As seasoned as I am for Disney I was staying at the Portifino at Uni the first time. We arrived at noon famished and checked into a very nice upgraded suite for a school board convention I was attending (my family tagged along for free room) miserable problems with booking that also afforded me 2 5 day free passes to the parks. The hotel took care of their transgressions many many times over that trip.
White glove service. Something I have seen slip at Disney when they mess up badly.

Anywho, we darted into a QS restaurant at the Portifino and I was beyond overwhelmed by the cost. My costs were covered but my families was not. It was beyond ouch and the food was marginal at best. I was near panic for what the 5 days was going to cost in food. I whipped out my laptop back in the room and regrouped. I quickly found a spot for breakfast at the Portifino that fit my per diem and my family budget. Then found very acceptable prices at the parks and City Walk for nice meals.

I just wasn't prepared for the cost of some of dining at the upscale Portifino venues. This made me quickly realize that many first time guests at Disney do not realize that much research is needed for a successful trip to Disney within their budgets. My friends, long time neighbors came home from Disney after 5 days and it was to be a 2 week trip. Overwhelmed by the cost. They just got back in the truck and came home. I felt so bad for them. They never returned. Many just don't get how expensive Orlando is collectively their first go around. I can't think of any destination I've traveled to that required so much planning and education to travel to that Orlando does.

Valid point. It IS expensive down there, and I forget how much I've learned over time, about cheaper, QS type places (the better ones, that is). All of us (here) have been going down there for many years and have learned to adapt to various changes; but at least we've had a heads up, versus some newbies who just get gobsmacked about the prices for everything down there.

epcotisbest

Friday, June 10

I want to begin this post to again encourage all you planners ~ it IS possible to completely change your itinerary for the day and score same-day hard-to-get FPs and ADRs. :)

This was supposed to be an Epcot day. I had booked our FPs. For months I had been trying to get a Beaches and Cream ADR for lunch, figuring we could take a mid-day touring break. (Tangierine Cafe was my back-up plan.) I even tried for a Beaches & Cream ADR last night, thinking surely there might be a cancellation now that it was within 24 hours. Nope....nada.

But when I awakened this morning, I was SO HAPPY that I didn't get that Beaches ADR and find ourselves locked into our Epcot plan (because I am not willing to pay a no-show fee for a meal we don't eat.) What was the reason for my happiness?

SUN!! :cool: And a quick glance at the Weather Channel app that revealed a zero percent chance of precipitation until mid-afternoon.

WE WERE GONNA GET A POOL DAY AFTER ALL!! (Take that, Colin! :D)

At breakfast we discussed options for the afternoon/evening. We picked a park, got fastpasses and a ressie for dinner (you'll have to keep reading to learn what we did ;).) Then Em and I changed into our swimsuits and headed for the Lava pool. Poor Woody had work to do in the morning but would join us for lunch.

Happy feet lounging by the pool at last!
View attachment 151431

No in-the-water pics cause we don' have a cool waterproof camera like @Doc Disney! We picked the Lava pool for the morning since the noisy pool party games don't start until afternoon. The pool has a "relaxation shelf" in the deeper end that Em and I enjoy sitting on (though we miss the water that used to flow into the pool in that area.) Pure bliss! :inlove:
Nope, nope, nope. I just can't imagine wasting time hanging out at a resort and especially lounging by the pool. What a waste of time. Waste of time I say! You could be doing so many other things. Heck, wait till you get home and splash around in your bathtub if you want to be immersed in water. Stomp around in a mud puddle if it ever rains at home. Walk around in the rain some more, there is lots of opportunity for that at WDW in the Summer. Squirt each other with a garden hose while washing the car (multitasking). But relaxing and lounging while at Disney? Next thing you know you'll be reading a book or something. Questionable choice at best. I can't imagine wasting time at Disney like this. Geez.

Last edited:

LisaBelle

I am finally all caught up with your report! A few comments:
A grand daughther :inlove:! Yay! I predict a visit or dare I say visits to BBB and Princess Tea Parties are in your future. Congratulations!
Can't believe they took out your money at bag check :jawdrop:!
Your photo of the steak and mac and cheese at Mama Melrose was making my mouth water! It was my favorite meal of my trip. I want it right now :hungry:!
Love the photo of the Kona Cafe sign alongside Kona the kitten! Adorable!!!!
Love the walk between GF and the Poly. My walk along there was a highlight of my trip with my sister :joyfull:.
LOVE BVG! My sister and I found so many cute things there. It will be a shopping destination for me on every trip from now on. The contrasting Minnie tops look great on mother and daughter.
Sorry both you and Em had to deal with odd/drunk strangers.
Jungle Book looks cool, but sorry to hear there were projection issues. Tree of Life Awakening looks spectacular.
Can't believe how few animals you saw on your sunset safari!
I would have made dinner out of the snacks in the lounge as well. It looked delicious!
My daughter has been hearing a lot about Ample Hills Creamery so she will be very excited to hear about the one at Disney. She was just asking about the Boardwalk area. We've never explored over there so we now have another must do for our list whenever our next trip rolls around!
So glad the sun came out and you were able to have your pool day! Still sad I never got to enjoy the Poly pools back in February. Your photos are really making me miss the Poly.
Looking forward to more of your report!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Nope, nope, nope. I just can't imagine wasting time hanging out at a resort and especially lounging by the pool. What a waste of time. Waste of time I say! You could be doing so many other things. Heck, wait till you get home and splash around in your bathtub if you want to be immersed in water. Stomp around in a mud puddle if it ever rains at home. Walk around in the rain some more, there is lots of opportunity for that at WDW in the Summer. Squirt each other with a garden hose while washing the car (multitasking). But relaxing and lounging while at Disney? Next thing you know you'll be reading a book or something. Questionable choice at best. I can't imagine wasting time at Disney like this. Geez.
What were we thinking?! Well, at least we're not those people who stay in a Disney resort and never set foot in the parks...talk about a waste...:cautious: :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am finally all caught up with your report! A few comments:
A grand daughther :inlove:! Yay! I predict a visit or dare I say visits to BBB and Princess Tea Parties are in your future. Congratulations!
Can't believe they took out your money at bag check :jawdrop:!
Your photo of the steak and mac and cheese at Mama Melrose was making my mouth water! It was my favorite meal of my trip. I want it right now :hungry:!
Love the photo of the Kona Cafe sign alongside Kona the kitten! Adorable!!!!
Love the walk between GF and the Poly. My walk along there was a highlight of my trip with my sister :joyfull:.
LOVE BVG! My sister and I found so many cute things there. It will be a shopping destination for me on every trip from now on. The contrasting Minnie tops look great on mother and daughter.
Sorry both you and Em had to deal with odd/drunk strangers.
Jungle Book looks cool, but sorry to hear there were projection issues. Tree of Life Awakening looks spectacular.
Can't believe how few animals you saw on your sunset safari!
I would have made dinner out of the snacks in the lounge as well. It looked delicious!
My daughter has been hearing a lot about Ample Hills Creamery so she will be very excited to hear about the one at Disney. She was just asking about the Boardwalk area. We've never explored over there so we now have another must do for our list whenever our next trip rolls around!
So glad the sun came out and you were able to have your pool day! Still sad I never got to enjoy the Poly pools back in February. Your photos are really making me miss the Poly.
Looking forward to more of your report!
Thanks for all your sweet comments, @LisaBelle :happy:.

Undoubtedly there will be BBB in my future...managed to escape it with the daughter, but granddaughter? NO WAY! This precious baby is already causing a buying frenzy and she isn't even here yet!

Em and I have an ADR for Mama's on the 25th, and I foresee another steak in my future (sorry! :hungry:) We have already packed our new Minnie tops to take with us.

Definitely plan a visit to the Boardwalk on your next trip ~ heck, take in the entire area around Crescent Lake, it's a fun walk!

You just *might* see more Poly pics in my next TR (assuming I can ever finish this one!)

And because you mentioned kitten Kona, I felt another adorable photo was warranted ~
image.jpeg

epcotisbest

Thanks for all your sweet comments, @LisaBelle :happy:.

Undoubtedly there will be BBB in my future...managed to escape it with the daughter, but granddaughter? NO WAY! This precious baby is already causing a buying frenzy and she isn't even here yet!

Em and I have an ADR for Mama's on the 25th, and I foresee another steak in my future (sorry! :hungry:) We have already packed our new Minnie tops to take with us.

Definitely plan a visit to the Boardwalk on your next trip ~ heck, take in the entire area around Crescent Lake, it's a fun walk!

You just *might* see more Poly pics in my next TR (assuming I can ever finish this one!)

And because you mentioned kitten Kona, I felt another adorable photo was warranted ~
View attachment 151721
What a cutie. I posted this in chit chat earlier today.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/i-thought-i-saw-her-again-today.915666/

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Love the adorable kitten photos.:) When we stayed at the POLY, there were no special towel animals for us.:arghh:

From what I've read, the towel animals are random these days. Used to be that many of the resorts would leave one or two, but not anymore. Some attribute it to the housekeeping cuts and the housekeepers are too busy now to add those special touches. Again, it's random if you receive them at all, and I assume you're probably more likely to get them now if you're visiting at a low to moderately low, attendance season for the parks. Also, I think I read somewhere on the forums that the only resorts doing the towel animals (on occasion) are the deluxe resorts only.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday evening

While Colin had not made an appearance during the day, there was a chance of showers this evening so Em and I left our room prepared for rain. Woody had a couple things to do before meeting us later.

Where were we going, you ask?

image.jpeg

Armed with 3 fastpass selections and dinner ressies all made this morning! :)

The bus dropped us off at the park close to the end of our first FP window, but we did not run to get there. (Although Em and I have had plenty of experience running from the turnstiles to the Streets of America to catch the flip of the switch for the Osborne Lights! But no more :cry:.) Mickey's head turned green when we entered the FP line for the Frozen Sing-A-Long. We got great seats in the center of the theater.

Anna!
image.jpeg

Kristoff! (Is it creepy that this grandma-to-be thinks Kristoff is hot?)
image.jpeg

Elsa!
image.jpeg

Okay, I think someone was a little heavy-handed on the button that causes the snow to fall!
image.jpeg

We missed seeing @blgauger and her friend by mere moments! They were in line for the next show! :eek:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
From the snow into the rain....a shower had started as we exited the theater. Fortunately, we did not have that far to walk. We were on our way to meet Woody for dinner at 50s Prime Time. We did a quick check of the lobby and noticed he wasn't there yet, so we decided to wait outside under the portico.

And then it happened. Colin unleashed his fury AGAIN. Thunder, lightning and monsoon rain. And we knew poor Woody was out there in it.

The entryway of Prime Time was packed full of guests who had finished dining but did not want to venture out into the rain, preventing those who had ADRs from getting inside. The CM working near the door was doing her best to get these rude people to move. I thought a couple of folks might come to blows! Em and I were standing off to the side as we continued to wait for Woody. Finally, we saw him.

image.jpeg

< insert picture of a drowned rat here >

An umbrella did not offer much protection from sideways rain and foot-deep puddles. Dinner was not starting off well! We managed to squeeze ourselves through the door and I went to check in.

Only the CM could not find our reservation. :bored: I had to pull up our confirmation number from MDE and read it to her. Even then, she seemed to be struggling with it.

(Postscript ~ When I received my credit card bill after we arrived home, I noticed a $30 charge for WDW Dine Tickets. When I called Disney to inquire about this charge, it was a "No Show" fee for 50s Prime Time! I told the woman I was holding the receipt for our meal in my hand. She laughed and said she would credit us the $30. Make sure you ALWAYS check your credit card bills, people!)

We were called for our table right away. We had a great server who told us and the table next to ours to "put your walkie-talkies away." She informed us we were to play a family game while we waited for our food.

"Presidents or Disney?" she asked the table next to us.
"Presidents"
"Then you get Disney," she said to us.

Now you, the reader, can play along! No cheating with your walkie-talkie though!

1. Name the 8 U.S. Presidents with a one syllable last name.
2. Name 20 animated Disney or Pixar movies with a one word title.

To be continued....

Gabe1

From what I've read, the towel animals are random these days. Used to be that many of the resorts would leave one or two, but not anymore. Some attribute it to the housekeeping cuts and the housekeepers are too busy now to add those special touches. Again, it's random if you receive them at all, and I assume you're probably more likely to get them now if you're visiting at a low to moderately low, attendance season for the parks. Also, I think I read somewhere on the forums that the only resorts doing the towel animals (on occasion) are the deluxe resorts only.

My friends DD in the College Program got her foot run over by the vehicle in the MK. She was put on modified work duty. She was sent to the laundry where she sat and made towel animals day after day after day. :(

Gabe1

I am a Pup person. So not a kitty lover. I WANT THAT KITTY. Who couldn't fall in love with Kona? *heart melts*

Em and I were standing off to the side as we continued to wait for Woody. Finally, we saw him.

View attachment 151795
< insert picture of a drowned rat here >

What is it about the Studio's that the drainage can never take the rain? While once by Test Track and once nearing Mexico we had encountered flooding depths I can't even count how many times we've been trapped by the flooding streets of the Studios. It isn't just in one troubled spot, everywhere. :cyclops:

Poor Woody. Did you buy him a shirt?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom