Who wants to see WDW webcams

Who wants to see WDW webcams on the air?

• Yes, I would tune in to see the happiest place on earth

Votes: 171 96.6%
  • No, I would be too sad to realize I should be there!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • This is the most boring poll I have ever taken :-0

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
OK so lets' try and get this thing back on the rails....

It seems like this has gotten a pretty positive response sooooooo since so many folks are interested in them why don't we talk about our favorite views in the parks/resorts we would wanto to visit online.

Kamikaze

The removal of the cameras had exactly 0 to do with 9/11 in reality. The problem was that people could watch the feeds and see how many guests were in the park.
Competitors.
Guests deciding whether to go for the day or not.
Companies trying to do crowd estimates.
Sponsors trying to see if they are getting their money's worth.
And many more.

One of TWDC's most guarded secrets is their crowd numbers. They don't want those given away.

mikeb1967

Webcam

Hello, I'm surprised WDW has not come up with a paid subscription for the general public or a free benefit for say DVC members. I think the the financial opportunities for advertising and promotion could definitely outway the security concerns. I would pay for access to webcam feeds to the parks. I'd luv to have access to 2-3 cams in each park and possibly watch wishes or illuminations every night, it would definitely make me want to find a way to get there more often. I could definitely become addicted sitting in front of my computer or even on my iphone all day wishing i was there, heck i do that now, lol. MikeB

Matt and Kelly

I think it's a great idea! I'd tune in every time I need a quick Disney fix. It would be a nice way to take a break every now and then.

Although it may cause a big case of the Disney blues knowing I'm only watching it on the internet instead of being there in person!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
"towelheads"

Really? :(

Gotta love the internet....:brick:

And EPCOT Explorer, the security concerns come from the ability of anyone to monitor the feed for an extended period of time, to denote behavioral patterns in the employees, to identify potential security officials (both uniformed and undercover) and their patterns; to generally use the feed to discover any weak points that could be exploited. Even running the feed off a delay would not be enough to prevent that kind of surveillance, I'm afraid....

I used to love the original WDW webcams soooo much that I eventually got tired of waiting for them to come back... and created by own virtual cam on my website. You can guess what option I voted for in this poll
:ROFLOL:

Thank you for creating this site. I visit it regularly for my Disney fix, especially since I can't be there in person!

DisneyJoe

I think the the financial opportunities for advertising and promotion could definitely outway the security concerns.

What price exactly do you place on security? (or perceived security?)

If something happens, and the public perceives WDW as a place that is no longer safe and attendance falls, would they still be happy to be collecting that income from web cam subscriptions?? :shrug:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I fondly remember the Epcot webcam. I still have a screen capture from it:

epcot7-26-00.jpg

CDavid

the security concerns come from the ability of anyone to monitor the feed for an extended period of time, to denote behavioral patterns in the employees, to identify potential security officials (both uniformed and undercover) and their patterns; to generally use the feed to discover any weak points that could be exploited. Even running the feed off a delay would not be enough to prevent that kind of surveillance, I'm afraid....

You don't need a camera to do any of the above. Indeed, it would be far easier to make such observations in person. Look at the Epcot cam screenshot - there is no way you could discern any real information from an image of that resolution. In any event, if you need detailed photos of most anything in Disney, there are tens of thousands (at least) of already published photos all over the internet or in print. Are those a security risk too?

Those up to no good (the terrorists) don't take photographs, make sketches, or write notes. Those are all things they might be caught with, exposing the plan and incriminating themselves. The person taking detailed photographs of Main Street from every angle isn't who you need to watch out for - they're just an obsessed Disney fan (not that any of us would know anything about Disney obsessions...). The would be terrorist is more likely the person just sitting on a bench eating popcorn or strolling down the sidewalk, watching and taking it all in.

This issue comes up in the railroad world too often, with vague claims that by taking photos (or live webcams) of railroad infrastructure, you are "helping the terrorists". No one has ever been able to satisfactorily explain just how we are helping them, however.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You don't need a camera to do any of the above. Indeed, it would be far easier to make such observations in person. Look at the Epcot cam screenshot - there is no way you could discern any real information from an image of that resolution. In any event, if you need detailed photos of most anything in Disney, there are tens of thousands (at least) of already published photos all over the internet or in print. Are those a security risk too?

Those up to no good (the terrorists) don't take photographs, make sketches, or write notes. Those are all things they might be caught with, exposing the plan and incriminating themselves. The person taking detailed photographs of Main Street from every angle isn't who you need to watch out for - they're just an obsessed Disney fan (not that any of us would know anything about Disney obsessions...). The would be terrorist is more likely the person just sitting on a bench eating popcorn or strolling down the sidewalk, watching and taking it all in.

This issue comes up in the railroad world too often, with vague claims that by taking photos (or live webcams) of railroad infrastructure, you are "helping the terrorists". No one has ever been able to satisfactorily explain just how we are helping them, however.

I think there's a slight difference between a static screenshot and a continuous web cam. The latter allows for the discerning of patterns, particularly among employees, but also of people, in the parks. And yes, the same can be said for any number of scenarios as well, which is why it took the 9/11/01 fanatics almost a decade to fully plan their attacks....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom