Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyfan

Originally posted by Tramp

....the differences in pure intelligence, politeness, attentiveness to the teacher, a willingness to learn and discipline were phenomenal......we are so hung up on making excuses why kids aren't learning, we're losing generations of kids....within the last 40 years, our social engineers have taken a school system that produced some of the smartest people on earth and turned it into a total failure...this, in spite of, doubling the spending on education budget since 1992....(we Americans think MONEY is the answer to everything) we fail to recognize the common denominators in all the
school system problems....the breakup of American families and the removal of the burden to learn from the student...too many of our parents think kids learn thru osmosis and take little interest in furthering a childs skills outside of school...If parents need to blame anyone for why their kid isn't learning, they only need to look in the mirror.

Tramp.............I couldn't agree with you more!! But part of the break up of the "American families" is the struggle that some young couples have to face just to make it from day to day. Working long hours or even two jobs. That is why I think if a family can have time together away from the usual, no matter when it is, it can only benefit holding the family unit together. And I think if parents take the interest to make these trips a "learning process", as well as, just fun and games, that can benefit the child in the long run. I know my children have taken to the time to actually read the information on the flag poles in Liberty Squire that tells about the original thirteen colonies. Disney is full of little things like this that most people just over look because they are rushing to get to the next ride line.

I would just like to encourage every family who goes to Disney this year to take their time and take in all the "small" details in the parks, you will be surprised, even as an adult, the things you can learn from this experience.

:sohappy:

mickeyfan

waving hello to Mickeysfanny......haven't seen ya around in a while...hope u r ok?:animwink:

Hi Sweetie.................just been very busy lately with "extra curricular" activities (no not that kind!)...........and this is really the first time I have had to myself in weeks...........

Missed you.........:kiss:

Tramp

Originally posted by mickeyfan

I would just like to encourage every family who goes to Disney this year to take their time and take in all the "small" details in the parks, you will be surprised, even as an adult, the things you can learn from this experience.

:sohappy:

yeah....I agree....thumbs up for taking the time to MAKE a Disney trip an educational experience...we've always taken the time to absorb the little, fascinating details of the parks...it's one of the reasons that makes Disney so unique...everything fits together so nicely into a theme...

...and the two-parents working household?......Oh no...please don't let me get up on my soapbox to start preaching about that...lol....when I was a kid, MOM always stayed home and the tax burden on a family was 4 %.....today it's nearing 40% requiring the second parent to work....thus the kids are shortchanged so lets start a program to help that problem and tax more to pay for it....and the cycle goes on and on...ok....I'm stopping cuz i don't want to be the reason Fonzie has a stroke.

NowInc

I'm stopping cuz i don't want to be the reason Fonzie has a stroke.

LoL..thanks...

I bet you all noticed I didnt throw my 2 cents into this thread...there is a real good reason for that...trust me..

Tramp

Originally posted by NowInc

LoL..thanks...

I bet you all noticed I didnt throw my 2 cents into this thread...there is a real good reason for that...trust me..

....people have been throwing their 2 cents in for decades...it's gotta be worth a few bucks by now...:lol:

Bdis86

Account Suspended

This, in spite of, doubling the spending on education budget since 1992....(we Americans think MONEY is the answer to everythng) we fail to recognize the common denominators in all the
school system problems....the breakup of American families and the removal of the burden to learn from the student...too many of our parents think kids learn thru osmosis and take little interest in furthering a childs skills outside of school...If parents need to blame anyone for why there kid isn't learning, they only need to look in the mirror.

Okay, we have spent millions on the edcuation budget. But here's a big secret I will let all of you in on: Money alone won't help anything! The teachers are paid to teach. Some teachers don't care. They want to teach, but don't have a clue on how to. Some teachers just teach by the textbook. Well, the textbook is crap without proper teaching. Here's a good example: Science! Okay. You are a student learning about laws of physics. The text book tells you all this info, and students think, "What the heck is this all about?" You see, people don't learn doodly squat from text books. People are visual learners. They need to understand how this all fits together. And teachers, well, that's their job. To show how it fits together. The key word there is show! Teachers have to show it! That's why there are labs in science. Now, for other courses, like history, you can't learn it in the classroom. It's impossible. No one will ever learn it. You have to experience it to know it well. Videos don't cut it either, unless it relates to something you've seen. Well, this is why there are FIELD TRIPS! Schools need them. And a real good school has at least 1 a month. Washington D.C. , Boston, Zoos, Museums... All those are great field trips, but for the best field trip today, go to WDW. Go to Epcot. See the sites. Look at the dinosaurs. Learn about Communication. See the countries. And the American Adventure. The American Adventure is by far the best story of American History in the world. It's great for an American History field trip. If you are taking American History that is. After you see that, everything finally clicks. It's the best way to learn. You can hear how the different people spoke. You learn the actual ways of American people then. IE: Two Brothers song for Civil War, WW1, Stock Market Crash, Indians, the list goes on. By far, you will learn more in the first 10 min. of that show, then a school day in history class. That's why, I think that if a student as the chance to learn so much more on a trip then they will in class, I say, let em' go, but make sure you learn something. Now, I don't care when your trip is, as long as you tell me ahead of time so I can get the work to you. That's what teachers need to do. After all, if the kids are required by their parents to go on a trip, the kids have to go. Teachers need to learn it's not their choice! They just need to have a happy personality, and get the students their make-up work. A student misses a test? So what. Come after school. Teacher can't come after school? it's excused. By the way, if a teacher can't come after school one day to help a student make-up a test, the teacher shouldn't be teaching.

Thespis

You see, people don't learn doodly squat from text books. People are visual learners.
Some people are visual learners, some are auditory learners, some are tactile learners, some learn best if you give them a textbook and leave them alone.
I won't try to address all the blanket statements in your post, but suffice it to say that all students are individual, all students are different, all students have different baggage that they bring to school with them, all students learn differently and all students will have a different outcome on any given assignment.
There is no place for generalizations or blanket statements when it comes to teaching.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Very true, that's why you need to have all the methods of teaching. :) But Field Trips more then the others.

Dwarful

OK besides the teaching/classroom argmt. I must say it is getting much more difficult for parents to get time off during June-August. I worked as a letter carrier for USPS for 8 yrs...quit after second child, but I was low gal on the totem pole and by the time the vacation board got to me my options were times in March & Oct and the first two weeks in Nov (and I was not even very bottom) In our area NO ONE could take time off from Veterans Day through Jan. Most senior people picked the hottest months..which is also when the kids are out of school...we had walking routes and who in their right mind wants to walk five miles a day with a 35lb bag on their shoulder when its 105 outside? Needless to say if I was still working our kids would be pulled out for a week or so.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
the differences in pure intelligence, politeness, attentiveness to the teacher, a willingness to learn and discipline were phenomenal......

Sadly this must have been a one off. In the UK we have been recruiting teachers from the Commonwealth countries to make up the massive shortfall we have. Unfortunately most leave after a few months due to poor behaviour of pupils. This situation has been created largely by doo gooders and their children never lie policy. The result is every student knows their rights but none will accept their responsabilities. We now have the farcical situation where trouble makers are rewarded (Mcds movies, theme parks trips to Europe) if they turn up and behave good kids get all. Wrong message in my opinion. Anyway the point I wanted to make was that I fully agree with you on field trips etc. My kids have been lucky enough to have lived in Germany and Italy as well as living 8 years in London. The result is (according to teachers) they have higher expectations, a greater willingness to question and a range of experiences they can bring to classroom discussions. I feel that visiting the US and WDW has also helped with this.
WDW is a place that has something for everyone, as a result is it a true family holiday destination.
After all even our political masters tell us how important the family is and I cant think of anywhere Id rather be with my family

If learning happened "in the classroom" only, then we would have school every day of the year!! I have worked for a school system for 17 years. I have worked at an Elementary School and now as the Office Manager for the Superintendent of Schools. I take my children out of school for trips to Disney World.

Yes, I could go during their summer break and winter break, however, I go during the off times because of the Florida Resident specials. I do this because I can take them more often this way. Yes, maybe I am selfish for doing this, but I also know from working for the educational system that "quality" learning does not always happen in the classroom on a daily basis. I have had to "teach" my children lessons at night when they didn't understand it after sitting in the classroom every day.

When working on our "school calendar", the teachers were only concerned about what was best for them. They didn't want to consider what was good for the families of the children in their classrooms. I know, I listen to their complaining on a daily basis. I would love the year round school concept because where my cousin works in Alabama, they have two week breaks throughout the year, not just between Christmas and New Years......one of the most crowded times at Disney. I know, because I've been there!! Some of those weeks did fall during the "off season" and would make it very convenient for me and my children wouldn't have to miss any school days. One of the best things they have done for our system in the past two years is start school in early August and get out in late May so I can still take advantage of the Florida Resident savings at the end of May. (I'm leaving for Disney this year the last day of school....May 22nd). Of course, there are the few teachers and parents who do not like the early August start time because it does not follow the "traditional" aka "old" school year times of beginnig after Labor Day.

Teachers and school administrators think it is fine for students to be "away from the classroom" when it is to their benefit. I am speaking to the fact that my daughter's band will be going to Orlando the first part of May and will be going to Universal Studios and Island's of Adventure. Then, two weeks later on a Friday, they are going to New Orleans for the day to go on the Riverboat Cruise and to the Aquariums of America. Believe it or not, these are some of the same "educational" things I do with my children when I take them out of school for a "family vacation", which I fondly refer to in my notes to my children's teachers as a "family field trip".

I will continue to take my children out of school for vacations, whether it be Disney or someplace else, and I do not feel guilty about it whatsoever. I know for a fact that a week at Disney could be more educational (and more enjoyable) than sitting in a "classroom" for a week with some of the teachers we employ! My children have learned many interesting facts from visiting all the theme parks that they probably wouldn't ever experience listening to just one person lecture from a textbook each day. I do expect my children to keep up with their school work, but I also feel that the parent can be an educator in their life as well.

Goofette............do what is best for you and your family and if it is because of the off season, so be it. You have a long road ahead of you with school and as long as your daughter knows that you expect her to learn while she is in school or on vacation, I think that is the most important part of this.

And of course, all the above is just my opinion, and I apologize if I offended anyone by my comments. You know.......freedom of speech and freedom of thought is what our country is based on!!

Oh and by the way............in Florida the school budgets are based on student attendance during two weeks out of the school year, one in October and the second in February! Fondly known as FTE week! Therefore, I am considerate and plan my vacations around these two weeks. But actually there is an 11 day window of time period in case a child happens to be "sick" during the five day FTE week that the school can still get credit for them for school funding!! It would be a total nightmare, and almost impossible to count everyday of the school year for funding purposes.

Sorry it's so long......haven't posted in a while and guess I just needed to get it out of my system.:rolleyes:

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
funny!

School vs Family time

I was taken out as a kid and did just fine in school!

We've taken our kids out of school every year (just once per year) for a WDW vacation. Our daughter is not acedemically strong (due to ADHD), but I have a hard time believing that the extra 3-5 days that she has missed would make a difference between A's and C's.

With that said, we take advantage of all the education opportunities. WDW can be a wonderful interactive classroom if you let it.
  • We give both our kids a budget for the trip and they have to add up their purchases and keep track
  • Epcot...everything from art to culture studies to geography. Our next trip in December we are bringing a world map to follow up on the trip around the "world".
  • One of our kids wants to work with marine animals - I can't say more about what the Living Seas gives to him in the way of inspiration and education. He won't get that kind of exposure to feed his passion in elementary school so I believe that this once a year opportunity is not a loss of school time, but instead a wonderful way to enhance it.
  • There is so much more...I'm willing to bet this forum could share lots more ideas for all of us!
We tell the teachers approx a week in advance and request work to come home. We do that work on the plane either way or when some quiet time is needed (easier to pull off on the cruise ship vs the "world".) The teachers give us no problem and send us on our way. The attendance "guru" at our school would not view it favorably (or so we've heard), but we usually don't notify her until we're on our way. ;) We've never had anyone approach us on it.

And lastly...family time is so important these days and quality family time is hard to come by. So...going to WDW when the crowds are reasonable and its not unbearably hot is definately is a recipe for quality family time. Being hot and grouchy and waiting in unbearable lines is not my defination of quality time :eek:! (which is what WDW is like when our school district has vacation time)

Sorry, so long - just my thoughts! Do what is best for you and your family!

K

wvdisneyfamily

I'm just wondering if many of you take your kids out of school to go to WDW or the ones of you in school, if your parents take you out. I didn't want to go during the summer, or spring breaks so we are taking our 2nd grader out of school. She will miss 5 days, but we're getting major grief over it. This is the first time she will get to go and we didn't want to go when it was overly crowded or really really hot. I sort of thought it wouldn't be a huge deal with her only being in 2nd grade and making good grades, but I guess I was wrong.

Would really like to know what other families do.

Thanks
Maybe your daughter could make a journal/scrapbook of her experiences at WDW and present it to the teacher when she gets back.
Have a great time!
:wave:

kennyj29

I always took my kids out of school for a vacation. The summer is way too hot for us and we ususally went at cooler times. We loved those weeks together because Disney was not busy and we had a lot of great times. Those are our favorite memories as a family and I wouldn't trade them for the world. We always would get homework also. When we stayed at their trailers in the campground it was extra easy to get them to do their homework. It was more like a house instead of a hotel room and they always, always did their work. If you say, I'll take you out of school if you cooperate and not give us a hard time about doing homework, it was the easiest time to get them to do it. Always a problem at home, never a problem at Disney. sometimes the teacher would give them an assignment for them to do about Disney, those they loved the most~~!!

amajac167

We took our kids out of school in 2004 and are going to again in November. Our kids are both very good students and know they will have to work hard to catch up. I have spoken with their school and they will work with us. You only live once and dont want to spend it in huge lines. 45 more days to WDW:xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas:

DisneyGigi

We took our kids out of school in 2004 and are going to again in November. Our kids are both very good students and know they will have to work hard to catch up. I have spoken with their school and they will work with us. You only live once and dont want to spend it in huge lines. 45 more days to WDW:xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas:

I agree with you 100 percent!!!

cooleo

I have taken my son out 4 or 5 times for a Disney Trip & will be doing so for the 3rd straight Christmas time trip this coming December. We usually go the first or second week of December. Never been a problem. :)

jenlar

Goofette... if there are any projects that he will miss in his class that aren't pencil and paper, I'll be happy to help you out. There really isn't anything that can be done in a classroom that can't be done outside one. If you miss any cocoons, bean plants, experiments, or any of the other cool classroom projects I'll direct you to the proper curriculum/supplies to take care of it.

kubfish

We took our Kids in Sept, have in the past and will continue to do so. It's not a matter of not being able to in the summer. Its to avoid crowds and craziness. Not to mention, we typically do DL vs WDW and there is no more magical time then DL when they change over to xmas.

With that said, we just got a nasty letter and was told any more "unexcused" absences would result in a meeting with the truancy officer. :) uhh who? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom