Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gepetto

I hope you have a good trip. Just a little advice.....especially if she's struggling a little....take some books and read at least 15 minutes a day. :)

Erika

Re: Re: Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

Originally posted by Tramp
The "it's an education" and 'family bonding" arguments are so bogus that they don't register on the 'giggle meter.' These are just 'feel good' excuses to justify the guilt people feel for pulling their kid away from their studies.

LOL, sorry, I stand by my family bonding argument!!
My main point is, ANY time a family chooses to take a vacation is quality time spent together, be it summer, spring break, or during the school year. I see a lot of kids whose parents don't have the time to take them to the playground, much less Disney World. If during the school year is when they want to go-- that's when they should do it. They are the parents, and telling the teacher "We are going to Disney World for a family vacation (read: bonding time!)" should be more than enough-- no further explanation necessary. :)

RalphieN

I'm a 6th Grade Math teacher in NJ and have students go on vacation all the time. The teachers in my school ALWAYS provides work ahead of time when asked, usually in enough time so that the student can get it done and not have to take it with him/her on vacation. Family vacations are greatly encouraged because only a small portion of our overall learning during our childhoods is done in the classroom alone. Life experiences are just as valuable as book learning and if we can assist in students being able to get one without losing the other than that is what should be made to happen.

Dwarful

Well, here in Illinois our public schools get paid per child per day and any child that isnt in school for at least 4 hours doesnt get counted for the day. So if your child gets sick before lunch time the school wont get paid from the state for your child for the day...I have heard of some desperate school administrations holding kids in the nurses office til lunchtime just so they could get the money (my sister in law is a public school teacher...horror stories made us chose private). But my sister pulled her daughter out of school for 5 days so she could go with us to DisneyWorld and she had no problems, we even did a science report from materials gathered in Epcot and a geography report of her favorite countries in EPCOT. So I wouldn't hesitate to pull a good student out of school for a week. Things learned hands on can be as beneficial or even more beneficial than class room enviroment! So go, have fun and dont worry about the aftermath until you get back!

gepetto

The "it's an education" and 'family bonding" arguments are so bogus that they don't register on the 'giggle meter.'

I have to agree with Tramp here. 25 minutes at MK sitting in Hall of Presidents does not make up for losing an entire day at school as far as the educational experience goes. :)

momickey

my parents would take me out of school a lot when i was little. in fact, several times i even took my final exams early so that we could go on vacation. i don't see why the teachers would have such a problem with it

Goofette

Original Poster
Actually, her grades have dropped from A's to a B's (just in a couple of subjects). This is the first vacation we've had in years, and her very first trip to wdw. I talked to the district superintendant (yes, I went higher even than the principal) and it's not a school policy. Things I believe have been settled though. To be honest though, even if things hadn't been settled it wouldn't have changed a thing for us, we would still be going.

As for missing the class experience...today they had "Kite" day, where they flew kites. Gee, I would have hated for her to miss that.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "it's an education" and 'family bonding" arguments are so bogus that they don't register on the 'giggle meter.' These are just 'feel good' excuses to justify the guilt people feel for pulling their kid away from their studies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe me Tramp, I have plenty of guilt about a lot of things and yes I am trying to make myself feel better about taking her out of school :) I'm sort of surprised that this thread has even gotten this far. I was really angry when I wrote it (late one night) and didn't expect hardly anyone to read it. I just didn't want to go on vacation with a dark cloud hanging over the trip, and wanted to gripe about it to get my feelings out. I never knew there would be any sort of problem either until we went to talk to the teacher about the homework (she's known about the trip for a long time), So I was sort of thrown off when she acted as though this would be a problem. I did want to know though if I was being unreasonable, but I feel I am not at all and having the superintendant behind me makes me even more secure in this. As to taking her out of school again in the future...well it's taken us ten years to take this vacation so I don't see that it will be a problem for us.:cry: :cry: I wish it would be a problem though, I would love to go to wdw as much as we could. :D

sillyspook13

I take myself out of school to visit the World. I just call those my "mental health days".

I could use the excuse that I'm doing research for my paper on Walt (which I really would be), but how much of the day do you think I would spend "researching"? (of course I could always quote the parades...)

It's no problem for me. I try to plan my "mental health days" well in advance to miss as little as possible. All I missed last time were: egg painting in German, trivia in English, free day in chorus, video in zoology, video in American history, and free day in statistics. :p

Buzzforprez

Best way to do it. No lines because all the other kids are in school. Just make sure you go when Fla. schools are in service. I was always taken during the school year. The family trip is a great bonding experience. My teachers always made sure I had my studies up to date and most times I had to write a journal. Some great times were documented in that journal and it makes great reading still. Who is best to teach your child? You or a complete stranger?

Dwarful

Hey Buzzforprez...quick question...are you from Jersey..The Channel Island???or New Jersey the state? Just curious...as I have good friends on the Island and hardly ever bump into anyone else from the island!

tinkrbel

The "it's an education" and 'family bonding" arguments are so bogus that they don't register on the 'giggle meter.' These are just 'feel good' excuses to justify the guilt people feel for pulling their kid away from their studies. If going to WDW is a life experience, educational, or necessary for 'family bonding,' then let it be done on vacation time, it need not be done at the expense of academics...
The real reason most people pull their kids is for the reason you so honestly have admitted to...convenience, small crowds, nice weather, etc etc.. Yes, there are plenty of reasons that require some people to go at a specific time of the year, but that's more the exception than the rule.

At the end of the day, the only criteria you need to consider is how will this time off affect the intellectual progress of my kid...can she make it up...will she lag behind.....In 2nd grade, I don't think it's a problem....but in 5th or 7th grade and so on, I do.
Thanks for listening.

(God, can't ya tell I'm an old fart)

I sorta agree with you on most of what you said .. because yes we pull the girls out at the end of may because of less heat, crowds and such, but I have to stick with my feelings that there is still some educational value to going to WDW, but this is only basied on our granddaughters and what they have learned over the years and how the vacations have effected them :). And your right .. as they get in the upper grades with end of year test it isnt always possible. Our school year ends the last part of May but I know as lisa gets on in to high school there will even be things other then education that will mean she cant go (or doesnt want to go ) like prom, and such :)
as for bonding .. I honestly didnt give much thought to this till I read it .. then I realized that being thier grandparents and as they grow older they lose interest in us :cry: No matter what time of year we go this is an important time ..for us ..in fact to be honest maybe its all more for us. We have limited time to enjoy the girls, other things in thier lives will pull them away from us as they grow older. Already this weekend they both choose time with friends over visiting grandma's :cry: a first. This is normal and I accept it, ( grandpa dont) but the same happens to parents. Kids grow up and away and it seems too fast sometimes. We are already trying to adjust to the fact that prolly next year we will have to go in June but on the good side of that ..we can stay longer :)

and I am an older fart :)

Tramp

Re: Re: Re: Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

Originally posted by tinkrbel

I sorta agree with you on most of what you said .. because yes we pull the girls out at the end of may because of less heat, crowds and such, but I have to stick with my feelings that there is still some educational value to going to WDW, but this is only basied on our granddaughters and what they have learned over the years and how the vacations have effected them

Hiya Tink...

...the only point I was trying to make is that while education and bonding might be a quality by-product of a trip to Disney, it is not the reason MOST people, in my opinion, pull their kids from school during the school year. A trip to Disney and school attendance need not be mutually exclusive IF education and bonding are the reasons for going. These same goals can be achieved if the trip is arranged during a school vacation or when it's HOT or crowded. If a parent's work schedule requires a trip during the school year, I can understand that and would encourage it...but most people make the trip during the school year as a matter of convenience and comfort.
...I'm not saying any of this is bad and I don't want to come across judgmental, I'm just saying that people like to con themselves to make themselves feel better...I'd hate to think that the only lesson learned from pulling a child from his academics for a trip to Disney is that Mom and Dad don't think my education is a priority.

This is a REALLY an interesting subject and I'm glad Goofette started it...thanks Paula.

tinkrbel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

This is a REALLY an interesting subject and I'm glad Goofette started it...thanks Paula.

It is a very interesting subject :) And no doubt its one of those where you really have to look at all sides, what really struck me was, this isnt an every year thing for Goofette and family and that her daughter is only in the second grade. which reminds me how fast they go from second to seventh *sigh* . I do have to add .. ya know the heat and crowds can make some people a little on the .. umm not so nice side :D and even kids can get fiesty in the heat .. so going at less crowded/hot times of the year makes bonding a bit easier :) I have to think that maybe if anyone was judgmental though it was the teacher ..to decide ahead of time that this would hurt Goofette's daughter grades so badly bothers me a bit. Goofette I meant to ask you if this was said in front of your daughter? Also I know that Goofette didnt just spring this on the teacher at the last minute. Alot of schools have the *year round* thing going on too (none in our area but just across the state line in shreveport they do) which means that kids are out at out times of the year. I havent seen anyone post anything about this and wondered if any had thier kids in a school that is year round and if this makes it easier to plan an off season trip to WDW?

The Mom

Premium Member
I'd like to answer the year round school question. Duval County did try them for a while, but they were phased out a while back. It was very difficult for families to coordinate schedules, as the schools weren't all on the same "track," so if you had children in 2 different schools, they had breaks at different times. It also made it hard to plan summer camps (which are based on June-August breaks) and teachers couldn't go to summer courses, seminars, etc. Any gains were outweighed by the inconvenience to families and teachers.

And yes, it did make it possible to take off-season trips, but only if everyone was out at the same time!

Is it time to start an "old farts" sub-group? ;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have tried to avoid this post but can no longer. Modern life and working conditions have for most people changed dramatically over the last 20 years this has made a big impact on the family. We have had to adapt to this change an try to function on a level that is best for all members of that family.
I find it difficult to accept the view put forward by educationalist on this particular subject for several reasons. If a few days off because of holiday is such a major disaster, heaven help any child that falls ill, orrequires hospital treatment, or are these conditions confined to holiday periods. In many familys both parents work and its getting harder to take holidays at the same time. For example in my case there was three of us running a Dept and only one could be away at anytime, during the seven week school holiday there was two two week periods when no one was allowed leave, that leaves three weeks for everyone to fit in their two week summer holiday. Obviously someone has to eat into term time. In my experience schools that have to deal with situations like mine regularly are far more positive. Others goaded on by our present bunch of profesional politicians (52 weeks holiday a year) try to make you feel like a criminal. I say cobblers to the lot of them !!
One last thing strange how the last two weeks of August Disneys room rate drops but rates on Holidays from the UK go up Im sure in no way is it connected to that being the main holiday period in London and the South East.
Am I rambling
:zipit: :zipit:

tinkrbel

Originally posted by happy snapper

One last thing strange how the last two weeks of August Disneys room rate drops but rates on Holidays from the UK go up Im sure in no way is it connected to that being the main holiday period in London and the South East.
Am I rambling
:zipit: :zipit:

you made some very very good points in my opinion.. as to the August part .. that is when our friends from England also go ..but at least in texas and lousiana I know that the school year begins in August ( I swear when I went to school it didnt start till sept) I know (because I am an old fart) that school use to start depending on things like farm families ...who's kids were needed for things at home like harvest time, I believe that some schools up north still do start in sept.

mickeyfan

If learning happened "in the classroom" only, then we would have school every day of the year!! I have worked for a school system for 17 years. I have worked at an Elementary School and now as the Office Manager for the Superintendent of Schools. I take my children out of school for trips to Disney World.

Yes, I could go during their summer break and winter break, however, I go during the off times because of the Florida Resident specials. I do this because I can take them more often this way. Yes, maybe I am selfish for doing this, but I also know from working for the educational system that "quality" learning does not always happen in the classroom on a daily basis. I have had to "teach" my children lessons at night when they didn't understand it after sitting in the classroom every day.

When working on our "school calendar", the teachers were only concerned about what was best for them. They didn't want to consider what was good for the families of the children in their classrooms. I know, I listen to their complaining on a daily basis. I would love the year round school concept because where my cousin works in Alabama, they have two week breaks throughout the year, not just between Christmas and New Years......one of the most crowded times at Disney. I know, because I've been there!! Some of those weeks did fall during the "off season" and would make it very convenient for me and my children wouldn't have to miss any school days. One of the best things they have done for our system in the past two years is start school in early August and get out in late May so I can still take advantage of the Florida Resident savings at the end of May. (I'm leaving for Disney this year the last day of school....May 22nd). Of course, there are the few teachers and parents who do not like the early August start time because it does not follow the "traditional" aka "old" school year times of beginnig after Labor Day.

Teachers and school administrators think it is fine for students to be "away from the classroom" when it is to their benefit. I am speaking to the fact that my daughter's band will be going to Orlando the first part of May and will be going to Universal Studios and Island's of Adventure. Then, two weeks later on a Friday, they are going to New Orleans for the day to go on the Riverboat Cruise and to the Aquariums of America. Believe it or not, these are some of the same "educational" things I do with my children when I take them out of school for a "family vacation", which I fondly refer to in my notes to my children's teachers as a "family field trip".

I will continue to take my children out of school for vacations, whether it be Disney or someplace else, and I do not feel guilty about it whatsoever. I know for a fact that a week at Disney could be more educational (and more enjoyable) than sitting in a "classroom" for a week with some of the teachers we employ! My children have learned many interesting facts from visiting all the theme parks that they probably wouldn't ever experience listening to just one person lecture from a textbook each day. I do expect my children to keep up with their school work, but I also feel that the parent can be an educator in their life as well.

Goofette............do what is best for you and your family and if it is because of the off season, so be it. You have a long road ahead of you with school and as long as your daughter knows that you expect her to learn while she is in school or on vacation, I think that is the most important part of this.

And of course, all the above is just my opinion, and I apologize if I offended anyone by my comments. You know.......freedom of speech and freedom of thought is what our country is based on!!

Oh and by the way............in Florida the school budgets are based on student attendance during two weeks out of the school year, one in October and the second in February! Fondly known as FTE week! Therefore, I am considerate and plan my vacations around these two weeks. But actually there is an 11 day window of time period in case a child happens to be "sick" during the five day FTE week that the school can still get credit for them for school funding!! It would be a total nightmare, and almost impossible to count everyday of the school year for funding purposes.

Sorry it's so long......haven't posted in a while and guess I just needed to get it out of my system.:rolleyes:

Tramp

Originally posted by The Mom

Is it time to start an "old farts" sub-group? ;)

LMAO....the more I talk in this forum the more I sound like my parents ...I wonder if that's a requirement for getting old or if it's wisdom that comes with the benefit of experience?:lol:

btw Marcia...when we were in WDW a couple of years ago, I remember talking to people from Orange County (?) and they said they were on a year-round schedule...and sure enuf, when August 1st came around, the crowds shrunk to half the size.

Happy Snapper....I'm married to a first grade teacher of 28 years in an inner city school and we have a friend that went to England to observe 1st grade classes ....I don't have the time and this forum doesn't have the space to sing the praises of YOUR school system vs. our inner city schools....the differences in pure intelligence, politeness, attentiveness to the teacher, a willingness to learn and discipline were phenomenal......we are so hung up on making excuses why kids aren't learning, we're losing generations of kids....within the last 40 years, our social engineers have taken a school system that produced some of the smartest people on earth and turned it into a total failure...this, in spite of, doubling the spending on education budget since 1992....(we Americans think MONEY is the answer to everything) we fail to recognize the common denominators in all the
school system problems....the breakup of American families and the removal of the burden to learn from the student...too many of our parents think kids learn thru osmosis and take little interest in furthering a childs skills outside of school...If parents need to blame anyone for why their kid isn't learning, they only need to look in the mirror.
...sorry....i know this was a bit off topic but when i saw you were from England, I just had to tell you about the nice kids we heard about from our friend.

Tramp

Originally posted by NowInc
...Just gotta say that this topic makes my head hurt...thanks ;)

LMAO.....mine too...I watched 'Grumpy Old Men' this morning and I am sure I sound like that....

ALSO...

waving hello to Mickeysfanny......haven't seen ya around in a while...hope u r ok?:animwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom