Who remembers 1985??

boudica

Original Poster
When we went 1985, I remember taking a boat from MK to Epcot. Is this right? It was a long time ago and I was a kid, so my memory could be faulty. If I am remembering right, can you still do this, if not when did they stop that. Thanks all

Angela

Nemo14

You probably remember taking the ferry from MK to the Transportation Center, then the monorail from there to Epcot.

RonAnnArbor

You can not not, nor ever could you take a boat to Epcot from MK. You can take the ferry across the lake to the transportation center, then the bus or monorail to Epcot. The only way I recall ever going back and forth from one to the other in the "old days" was by monorail. And that was before park hopping, so you didn't really go from MK to Epcot -- you went for the monorail ride to Epcot then back to MK. IN 1985 I was 25, so those memories are not hazy...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - monorail it was. The Showcase Gateway (to Crescent Lake, Yacht and Beach clubs etc.) didn`t open until late `89 / early `90 so it was a no no to watercraft of any kind.

scpergj

boudica said:
When we went 1985, I remember taking a boat from MK to Epcot. Is this right? It was a long time ago and I was a kid, so my memory could be faulty. If I am remembering right, can you still do this, if not when did they stop that. Thanks all

Angela

Angela

I've been going since 1972, and remember the opening of EPCOT....I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been a boat ride to EPCOT, just has others have said.

You may be remembering the Friendship boats from Future World to World Showcase, or as others have said, the boat from the Magic Kingdom to the TTC, then monorail to EPCOT

Hope this helps!

JEDIsney

I would give anything to visit Walt Disney World in the '80s.

After researching everything about the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT back in that time, being able to actually see what it was like then is one of the my biggest wishes.

Why couldn't I have been born ten years earlier?

Number_6

JEDIsney said:
I would give anything to visit Walt Disney World in the '80s.

After researching everything about the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT back in that time, being able to actually see what it was like then is one of the my biggest wishes.

Why couldn't I have been born ten years earlier?

Having grown up in the 80s, I can say that I wish I could go back to that time and see the parks again the way they were. EPCOT Center was one of the greatest places during the 80s just because of the way the world was at that time. Personal computers were becoming more common and even started getting color monitors. That was a big thing at that time. Now unless it's a plasma screen television and can render 3 billion polygons, it doesn't even register an "ooohh..." from someone. :lol:

copper

I remember the 80's very well! I went to WDW every year in the 80's then I had a ten year lapse in the 90's and returned in 1999. Honestly, Epcot was disappointing the first year it opened. I was a young teenager and we thought it was too educational, too much concrete and not enough rides. It definately got better with time. There was never a boat to Epcot but there was a boat to Discovery Island, we called it bird ________ island. I still have a WDW passport from 1989 with 1 day left on it. The 4 day pass was for MK, Epcot and MGM and it cost $97.00. Those were the good old days!

Tom

Beta Return
Oh gosh, I think my first trip was in 1985...I was 5 and my brother (pictured on the left in my avatar) was like 18 months or something. It was just MK and Epcot (which was fairly new). Oh, it was wonderful. Everything worked. Everything was clean and freshly painted. The characters would just be randomly walking around and you didn't have to hunt them down for informal meet-n-greets. Oh...those were the days....

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The late 80's and early 90's were great. I remember the 15th anniversary in 1987, that was great when they gave away prizes every 15 seconds at the entrance gates. They should have done that for the 50th celebration of Disneyland.

And I think it would be super cool if there was a boat from MK to Epcot.

jeffb

Number_6 said:
Having grown up in the 80s, I can say that I wish I could go back to that time and see the parks again the way they were. EPCOT Center was one of the greatest places during the 80s just because of the way the world was at that time. Personal computers were becoming more common and even started getting color monitors. That was a big thing at that time. Now unless it's a plasma screen television and can render 3 billion polygons, it doesn't even register an "ooohh..." from someone. :lol:

This is so true. There were all these touch screens, you could play games with SMRT-1, etc... It really was very cutting edge. Even Space Travel back in the 80s was so popular, I recall watching Space Shuttle launches at school, by the late 90s they received very little media attention.

mikeanabean

Those were great time to be at Disney. Communicore east and west was like seeing what could happen in the future. I always liked building the roller coaster on the touch screen there then going over to the Odessey Resturant and getting an Odessey burger.

Punkss

Ooooh i remember being there in very late 80s and going back to the UK to explain what i saw being about 12 i don't think anyone believed me.

Touch screen kiosks, sensor toilets that flushed without you touching them (they still don't have them here now), the characters on walkabouts.

kcnole

lol, life certainly was different then. In some ways I wish I could go back and stay in the 80's. We had great music, chest hair was cool on men as was the haircut, and Epcot was flipping amazing. It was the most remarkable place in the world. I first visited Epcot around 85 or so and to my prebubescent eyes it was THE single most amazing place on the planet. I remembered it being like going to the future, and back then it really was. That's the problem with thingslike futureworld though. Unless they continually pump millions of dollars in every year to update the place, it quickly becomes 1990 world. :(

The Mom

Premium Member
RonAnnArbor said:
You can not not, nor ever could you take a boat to Epcot from MK. You can take the ferry across the lake to the transportation center, then the bus or monorail to Epcot. The only way I recall ever going back and forth from one to the other in the "old days" was by monorail. And that was before park hopping, so you didn't really go from MK to Epcot -- you went for the monorail ride to Epcot then back to MK. IN 1985 I was 25, so those memories are not hazy...

Actually, I did a LOT of park hopping in 1985. :lol:

Back in those days (I was the mother of a toddler) both parts of Epcot opened at the same time, and stayed open until 10PM. I have several photos of The Daughter SITTING with characters on a park bench. Mickey even sat down and had breakfast with us at the AA one morning; that's how uncrowded it was.

Even if we started out at MK, we would end up at Epcot for dinner, then run back for the Electrical parade (if it was running late)

So we went back and forth between the parks at least once a trip. I wasn't staying onsite in those days, so I would park in the lot where I expected to end the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom