Who remembers 1985??

disney9752

did monorail cm's still wear the old neon green & navy blue constumes then? i bet bus cm's had the ugly old brown, white & orange costume, the balloon cm's on main street had some nice costumes to, the simplicity of how things were back then. i dont recall had laserphonic fantasy popped up at epcot yet?

MayKit

I guess we're all still "pre-occu-pied with nineteen...nineteen...nineteen eighty-five!"
Anyone heard this song? I don't remember who sings it.

lawyergirl77

MayKit said:
I guess we're all still "pre-occu-pied with nineteen...nineteen...nineteen eighty-five!"
Name of the band: Bowling for Soup.

*sigh* I remember old EPCOT Center. Horizons and SSE were my favourites, along with the peaceful feel of The Living Seas... I remember that I had gotten a set of postcards with all of the logos for each of the FW pavillions and I thought it was sooooooo cool!! :lol: And, GOD, the number of hours I would spend in at Image Works and watching Captain EO!!!

I like the new Epcot, but I wish it could co-exist with EPCOT Center (although they could just put the old JII back - I certainly wouldn't miss the new one!! :lol: )... It just seemed so much more innocent (for lack of a better way to describe it). Yes, old EPCOT was getting dated, but it was so much fun!!! :cry:

lamarvenoy

That was when I was still a kid, and not so jaded and cynical.I wish I still had that innocent perspective. The seemingly possible reality of the "Epcot" style future and of course Future World in all of its cutting edge glory-that's how life was supposed to be. The world was safe for kids to roam and crimes seemed to never happen at the World. It was all so much newer and the drive onto property was still a gigantic deal....making sure to tune your radio in for the latest news. Blissful innocence.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
MayKit said:
Paul Hardcastle

oops: wrong 19 song !!

MayKit

(I miss 1985, Tom Sawyers as well as Discovery Island were still around.:()

Tom Sawyers is still there last I checked, my niece loved it.

figmentmom

lawyergirl77 said:
Name of the band: Bowling for Soup.

Right! I actually saw them at the Mall of America some time ago, surrounded by hordes of screaming teenyboppers, performing "1985." (It was great!) :lol:

MayKit

(surrounded by hordes of screaming teenyboppers, performing "1985.")

As in screaming teenyboppers who weren't born yet in 1985? LOL Well, I guess some people my age liked the song "Summer of '69." when it was released.

figmentmom

MayKit said:
(surrounded by hordes of screaming teenyboppers, performing "1985.")

As in screaming teenyboppers who weren't born yet in 1985? LOL Well, I guess some people my age liked the song "Summer of '69." when it was released.

See...same thing! :lol: :wave:

MayKit

Here's something else to make some of us feel old....

Someone told me they overheard some kids who were about 12 years old talking about the Disney movie "Miracle" and how it was about "those old dudes!"

figmentmom

MayKit said:
Someone told me they overheard some kids who were about 12 years old talking about the Disney movie "Miracle" and how it was about "those old dudes!"

...and (not to give my age away or anything) :lol: , I remember that winning game vividly!!! :sohappy:

MayKit

I remember it too. Did you know that the son of one of the original players played his dad in the movie? (he had already passed the hockey test before he read for a part)

figmentmom

MayKit said:
I remember it too. Did you know that the son of one of the original players played his dad in the movie? (he had already passed the hockey test before he read for a part)

I think I did see that somewhere!

I was at WDW and Epcot around 85, (not sure of the year) and I remember totally having a blast. I was around 15 at the time. We are making our first trip back since then on July 29th, and although I love reading the posts about the old WDW, you guys have me scared to death that I am gonna be let down this time around. I hope I am wrong. I am looking forward to seeing the same excited look on my kids faces, as my parents got to see on mine.

I remember the first thing that captivated me about WDW was the monorails. So futuristic looking at the time. And the size of Cinderella's castle. My mom was blew away by the Main Street Electrical Parade, and I was saddened to see that it has been replaced with SpectroMagic. Hopefully, it will be just as good.

I am so unsure of what to expect now.....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Arkansas Goofy said:
I was at WDW and Epcot around 85, (not sure of the year) and I remember totally having a blast. I was around 15 at the time. We are making our first trip back since then on July 29th, and although I love reading the posts about the old WDW, you guys have me scared to death that I am gonna be let down this time around. I hope I am wrong. I am looking forward to seeing the same excited look on my kids faces, as my parents got to see on mine.

I remember the first thing that captivated me about WDW was the monorails. So futuristic looking at the time. And the size of Cinderella's castle. My mom was blew away by the Main Street Electrical Parade, and I was saddened to see that it has been replaced with SpectroMagic. Hopefully, it will be just as good.

I am so unsure of what to expect now.....

I can assure you that you will not be let down.

Sure some things have changed, but you will not be disappointed.

The monorails are just as magical they have always been .

SpectroMagic is not the same as M.S.E.P., but it is just as fascinating !

I'm sure that your children will be properly impressed. :wave:

Thanks....

I feel a little better now..... One last thing... My favorite ride was space mountain. I hear it has really went down hill. I have been lookin forward to riding it again. Hopefully, RRC at MGM will be as good as I remember SM....

figmentmom

Arkansas Goofy said:
I feel a little better now..... One last thing... My favorite ride was space mountain. I hear it has really went down hill. I have been lookin forward to riding it again. Hopefully, RRC at MGM will be as good as I remember SM....

Not to worry. You will have a GREAT time - and remember, you'll be seeing WDW anew through they eyes of family members who have never been there before!:wave:

MKCP 1985

MayKit said:
Well, I guess some people my age liked the song "Summer of '69." when it was released.
Funny reference - Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" was very popular in 1985 (although it was released in 1984). Ooooohhh!

Here's another 1985 reference particular to the Central Florida music:

WDIZ 100 - Orlando's Rock (Early on, there was a guitar case with a WDIZ bumper sticker in the Rock n Roller Coaster gift shop. I don't think it is there anymore.)

WYNF 95 Rock - Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater. A popular 1980s hair band had a video where one of the guys was wearing a YNF 95 Rock t-shirt, with the logo upside down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom