Which month is better for a WDW vacation & why - April, May, September, October?

Mikester71

So we just got back from our fourth Spring Break WDW vacation with the kids and my wife and I are already missing it something awful. This trip was supposed to be just me and my wife celebrating our 20th anniversary, but someone :)lookaroun me :lookaroun) thought that the kids would REALLY enjoy and appreciate going this time since they were at that perfect age for riding all the big rides. I figured maybe this would be our last big family vacation since the kids are getting older and are spending more time with their friends and boyfriend/girlfriend(s), so talked myself and my wife into thinking bringing them was a good idea. Boy, was I wrong! :hammer:Both complained on a number of different occasions and my son actually came right out and said that he wished he could have just stayed home instead. His problem was he just got his first girlfriend recently and hated leaving her behind for 12 days with a passion. When he realized he was stuck with us for the long haul, he became a "debbie downer" to be around and fought and complained constantly.

Forward ahead to this weekend. My wife and I were sitting around discussing how much we both LOVED being down there and how much fun we could have had, not to mention how much cheaper it would have been, had it just been us two. So I say to her, why don't we just go down there, the two of us, for 10 days. We can do whatever we want and not have to listen to someone complain about it. We can go at our own pace and spend more time relaxing around the resort pool and doing some of the things that the kids tried to put a damper on this trip. So as we are discussing our little getaway, we start to think, what months should we consider going? Seeings how we have only been during our Spring Break (middle of March) to accommodate the kids schooling, we know nothing about traveling to WDW during any of the other months. I've read different views and opinions on here and have listened to my friend (who's been way more than me) talk about his past trips during different times of the year and what he liked/disliked about each time. As much as I LOVE going during our Spring Break in March to get a break from our long, COLD Canadian winters, this past trip finally made me want to try the parks during another time of year. The parks were just WAY too busy again and we ended up missing many of the rides and attractions again.

So after all this (sorry for being long-winded here :eek:), I was wondering which month out of the four I listed in my title do YOU find to be the best and why?? Would like some opinions taking into account weather, crowd levels, price, promotions, special events, etc.)

R W B

My g/f and I were thinking the same thing as you, trying to pick out which month of the few non busy months would be best to go in. For us, we chose Mid May (this may actually). My g/f is in College but will be out by the 6th and we will be leaving on the 14th and staying for 7 days which means that most schools here in the states will still be in school so the parks will be less crowded with kids. I've read Sept. is a real good time to go aswell though.

Upvote 0

Allygator

I went the end of September and it was great! Crowd levels was low during the week. It picked up more on Friday and Saturday. I didn't see any lines for rides past 10 minutes. The only down side to September was that the parks did close earlier and it was quite hot but we were able to tolerate the heat since we just got done with summer.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
My g/f and I were thinking the same thing as you, trying to pick out which month of the few non busy months would be best to go in. For us, we chose Mid May (this may actually). My g/f is in College but will be out by the 6th and we will be leaving on the 14th and staying for 7 days which means that most schools here in the states will still be in school so the parks will be less crowded with kids. I've read Sept. is a real good time to go aswell though.

My buddy suggested May to me. He said the Star Wars weekends were pretty cool and that the lines were short and the weather was nice. Right now I'm leaning more towards either May 2012 or September 2012. The only thing that scares me about September is hurricane season.

Hope you guys have a great trip and let me know how you found it going in May when you get back if you get a chance. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
I went the end of September and it was great! Crowd levels was low during the week. It picked up more on Friday and Saturday. I didn't see any lines for rides past 10 minutes. The only down side to September was that the parks did close earlier and it was quite hot but we were able to tolerate the heat since we just got done with summer.

So it is still pretty hot end of September then? That is what I heard too. How about rain while you were down there...did you get much? Although I'm not too worried about the heat and rain actually, more worried about it being peak hurricane season during September and into October. It would be kinda nice to be there when the lines weren't 60 minutes plus for most things though! :wave:

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

September. Low crowd levels, great weather. And dont worry too much about hurricanes, they rarely affect Orlando in a way that makes hard to be at the World.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

You should think about what you and your wife would enjoy more....April/May you could take in the Flower and Garden fun at Epopt or would you all get more out of Halloween at the MK and Food and Wine at Epoct??? They both will be great time to visit. Weather will be ok for both...they both can see really hot temps or it could be mild. I would not even think about hurrican season....Orlando is far enought inland that it should not be a problem and it is not a major one...just some rain. Rain can be a good thing if you dont mind being out in it...they are normally just showers and dont last long but will clear the parks out. I say pick one time for 2012 and then book for 2013 in the other. Than you need to think about going in late Nov or early Dec to check out the Chirstmas decorations. Everyone should see them at least once!!! Happy Planning!!

PS - I am going to Sam's after work to get my gift cars!!! 8 of them!!! Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

I live in South Florida and go early May, last week of Sept or first week of Oct. and the second week of Dec. May is mid 80's and not too much rain yet. Hurricane season peaks Sept and is still very hot starts cooling off the end of the month. December 2d week is usually 70's days and dry season. December is very slow but all the Christmas decorations are up the weather is also like March if you can make it in Dec.. End of May till Sept. is rainy season and you will get afternoon showers every day as well as lots of heat. You also have the Flower and Garden Festival in May and the Food and Wine in Sept and don't forget the Halloween Party, and Dec you have the Christmas Party!!! Also when hurricanes are coming to our area South of West Palm Beach we head to Disney its inland and would only get some rain and a little wind by the time it got there. Worse damage is always on the coasts and dies down as it goes over land. Whatever you decide just go prepared and you will have a great time!!

Upvote 0

echovictor

We usually go late Sept or Oct. We love this time of year b/c of the low crowd levels. It is definitely hot in Sept but I'm from SC so it is nothing we are not use to. Plus Halloween is one of my favorite times of year and we love the decorations.

I live in a hurricane zone and was worried at first about the season but Disney has a hurricane policy (see below from website). As long as you booked through Disney, the policy is in effect. However, this wouldn't help you with your flights.

"If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for your place of residence no more than 7 days before your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Magic Your Way vacation package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney."

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I think my vote would go to September! I really like low crowds... maybe it's because I have two kids but I find it much more relaxing and enjoyable when we can tour the parks at our pace and not have to fight the crowds! Even though the parks do close earlier in the off season it's not that big of deal because you can accomplish more during the hours that the park is open! It is hot and rain is always a possibility but again I don't feel bad taking breaks during the hot afternoons or bad downpours because you can tour the parks so much faster.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
You should think about what you and your wife would enjoy more....April/May you could take in the Flower and Garden fun at Epopt or would you all get more out of Halloween at the MK and Food and Wine at Epoct??? They both will be great time to visit. Weather will be ok for both...they both can see really hot temps or it could be mild. I would not even think about hurrican season....Orlando is far enought inland that it should not be a problem and it is not a major one...just some rain. Rain can be a good thing if you dont mind being out in it...they are normally just showers and dont last long but will clear the parks out. I say pick one time for 2012 and then book for 2013 in the other. Than you need to think about going in late Nov or early Dec to check out the Chirstmas decorations. Everyone should see them at least once!!! Happy Planning!!

PS - I am going to Sam's after work to get my gift cars!!! 8 of them!!! Thanks!!!!

We have been fortunate to see the F&G Festival every trip so far since we go in the middle of March, and it is definitely worth seeing. Would be kinda cool to see the parks all decorated for Halloween though. And I would LOVE to see all the Christmas decorations up, but am worried about going in December because it sounds like it can get pretty chilly down there then. As crazy as this sounds, I don't think I could "DO" Florida having to wear a winter jacket and jeans every day. One of the main reasons I LOVE going to Florida is to get away from the cold we get up here for 6-7 months out of the year. When I'm in Florida, it is strictly shorts, sandals, and t-shirts for this guy! :p

No prob on the gift cards, hope you find them. And thank you for all this! :wave:

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I was wondering which month out of the four I listed in my title do YOU find to be the best and why?? Would like some opinions taking into account weather, crowd levels, price, promotions, special events, etc.)

We like September.
Even though we have to take our kids out of school for a few days, it is worth it.
The weather is still hot & it does rain from time to time, but it is usually not as hot as June, July, or August.
The crowd levels after Labor Day are considerably low.
We try to take advantage of the free dining promo that is usually offered during this time of the year - most of the time you have to book your trip well in advance to get this promo.

:wave:

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

We went in early-mid October about 7 years ago and it wasn't too bad if I remember correctly... We usually go during spring break but this year we are going April 30-May 8th. I've heard good reviews about early May (aside from Grad Night but we're avoiding MK those days!) I'll let you know how it is! :wave:

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

I am going to vote for early May.

1.) the crowds are relatively low in the first week since most schools are still in.
2.) its nice and warm, but not Mid Summer Florida heat
3.) most construction and ride updates have been completed so you'll have close to everything up and running for you.

Upvote 0

Mukta

September - if you could tolerate very hot weather, enjoy low crowd levels, want to attend the Halloween party

October - if you don't mind medium crowds and want to attend the Food and Wine festival along with the Halloween party

April - Skip it. Spring break crowds

May - If pleasant weather is important, but you would still like lower crowd levels. No holiday theming.

November/December - yes it can be mighty cold, but the decorations are amazing.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

The only one of these months that we haven't done is September. The others a couple each. My favorite month will always be October. So bummed that it will be a long time before we can take an October trip again now that our kiddos are in school. The weather is by far the most gorgeous. I LOVE MNSSHP and F and W Festival. I feel like crowds were similar, if you hit it right. Last week of April was okay for us, after spring/Easter breaks. Earlier/Mid May would be my 2nd pick out of your choices. Mainly because of weather and crowds being great from what I remember.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom