Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldtoo

Yup, that's like here! Except on busier streets and roads, that's an obvious that you don't simply walk out into traffic... But Manhattan? That's kinda sad.

What ticks me off is when college students decide to pop out from behind parked cars and cross the street without looking, and they aren't in a cross walk. Even when they are in a cross walk it's hard to see them pop out. There was a "fight" on Facebook yesterday over one of the posts on the "Confessions" pages that said something like "To everyone walking on the cross walks, don't get mad when we can't stop in this weather." Then people commented that we should slow down because they have the right-of-way. Yes, but it's not as easy as it looks to stop in a heartbeat. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had to slam on the breaks because someone pops out of nowhere, and they don't even notice because they assume the driver can see everything at every moment. Sorry, that's the end of my rant. :p

My father once taught me a very valuable lesson that I always adhere to...
Having the "right-of-way" doesn't make you any less dead.

PUSH

Original Poster
My father once taught me a very valuable lesson that I always adhere to...
Having the "right-of-way" doesn't make you any less dead.
Exactly. I try to stop for people on the crosswalk, but sometimes I just can't stop, or I don't see them. People crossing have to be aware, too. What ticks me off the most is when people just walk into the streets (no crosswalks) without looking. You're just asking to be hit then.

NYwdwfan

Aside from that incident, we looooved NYC.

Rubes that we are, 3 of walked from Times Square to our hotel at Lexington & 48th at 3:00 a.m.
The rest of our group took a taxi home an hour or so later and were shocked when they learned we had walked.
Felt perfectly safe to us; although everyone's reaction made us question our sanity after the fact.

Tell me honestly, were we nuts?

There were 3 of you so it's not as bad as being alone. But tourists walk differently - slower and more casual (maybe not at 3am). I used to walk to Penn station (33/34th and 7th/8th if I remember right) from the 50s alone around 11 but I was walking about 100 miles an hour and not making eye contact with ANYONE. Where I live it's about a 40 minute drive to Manhattan without traffic but there is NEVER no traffic. The city is close enough to go for a nice day/night out but I honestly don't go too often. It costs a fortune to do anything. Even the McDonalds commercials here say "prices vary in Manhattan". When we do go in we usually take the train.

Nemo14

After random generating, here is who gives to who:

@NYwdwfan will be giving to unkadug

@Nemo14
will be giving to Zweiland

@Zweiland will be giving to PUSH (can't wait for that... :p)

@donaldtoo will be giving to NYwdwfan

@acishere will be giving to trr1

@unkadug will be giving to Goofyernmost

@PUSH will be giving to Nemo14 (look out Nemo! :cool:)

@Goofyernmost will be giving to Megalodumb

@trr1 will be giving to acishere

@Megalodumb will be giving to Lucky

@Lucky will be giving to donaldtoo

Everyone got it? Good! Now go find the best (family-friendly) avatar you can get! :)

Here's the list!

NYwdwfan

WOW that's crazy ...I just 2.93 a gallon here.

I noticed $3.59/gallon yesterday. It's mainly taxes - there are so many roads here that they it's something like $0.75 a gallon just for that. There's more than one tax thrown in there though - I'm just forgetting what they are now. In NJ there's no tax on gas (or less) because of the revenue from Atlantic City. We always fill up there when we travel. :D

I don't smoke but I know cigarettes are up to about $11/pack here.

NYwdwfan

Prices vary around here too. You can pay at least $1 more per gallon in some DC suburbs than in others.

View attachment 41327

And that's just the posted price. Do they jack up the price at the pump if you are not paying cash? Here it's usually 10-15 cents more for credit but occasionally you will see as much as $1!!! They tried to make a law against that after hurricane Sandy since ALL the gas stations were doing it but that seems to have fallen out if focus.

MOXOMUMD

One complaint about The Polar Express. While it is a beautiful film with excellent music (and Tom Hanks of course), I cannot STAND the know-it-all kid. The one who wears the yellow shirt & throws his advice/input into everything whether he's asked for it or not. There are enough people like that in real life...why throw one into an animated movie? (Especially since his character does nothing to really contribute to the rest of the film's characters & plot. He just randomly chimes in with his unwanted advice, then goes about his way). :banghead::banghead:

Okay, finished ranting, now back to the movie.
"And all it had was a bunch of stupid underwear." :) Actually Know-It-All played an important role in the movie. Without him, Hero Boy would never have known to use the emergency brake (let alone find it) to let Billy on the train.

Lucky

And that's just the posted price. Do they jack up the price at the pump if you are not paying cash? Here it's usually 10-15 cents more for credit but occasionally you will see as much as $1!!! They tried to make a law against that after hurricane Sandy since ALL the gas stations were doing it but that seems to have fallen out if focus.
They don't usually do that here. And if you get around to many of the suburbs like we do it's easy to find 3.50 or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom