Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUSH

Original Poster
Should I find a Christmas motif for my kiddo and I for my avatar?

I have a great picture of her near our tree a few years ago.

It's the few years ago that makes me not change my avatar...
Whatever floats your boat! At least put a Santa hat on your daughter in your current avatar!
xmas.gif

NYwdwfan

I feel so "out of the norm" being from small town Wisconsin. All of you have these big cities, and I'm just sitting here getting excited over a new Dunkin Donuts! :p

About 20-30 minutes away is a city of about 58,000, and about an hour away is a city of about 240,000 (Madison). If we ever need to go to the mall or get clothes or anything, we have to go to one of those two cities.

You need to come visit.

My sister had a roommate in college who was from Bloomfield, Indiana. We took her to Manhattan and she literally walked off the curb into traffic to cross the street. My sister grabbed the back of her jacket and pulled her back before she got hit. She thought cars had to stop for pedestrians.

donaldtoo

We got our Christmas bonuses today at my firm. When I told DW she decided we needed to do A LOT more Christmas shopping tonight. :eek: Also needed a coupla' white elephant gifts for the office party tomorrow night. We bought pink elephants instead so people would see them even before they overimbided. :hungover:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We got our Christmas bonuses today at my firm. When I told DW she decided we needed to do A LOT more Christmas shopping tonight. :eek: Also needed a coupla' white elephant gifts for the office party tomorrow night. We bought pink elephants instead so people would see them even before they overimbided. :hungover:

That is exactly how I feel about my cousin's idea for SEO.

PUSH

Original Poster
You need to come visit.

My sister had a roommate in college who was from Bloomfield, Indiana. We took her to Manhattan and she literally walked off the curb into traffic to cross the street. My sister grabbed the back of her jacket and pulled her back before she got hit. She thought cars had to stop for pedestrians.
Yup, that's like here! Except on busier streets and roads, that's an obvious that you don't simply walk out into traffic... But Manhattan? That's kinda sad.

What ticks me off is when college students decide to pop out from behind parked cars and cross the street without looking, and they aren't in a cross walk. Even when they are in a cross walk it's hard to see them pop out. There was a "fight" on Facebook yesterday over one of the posts on the "Confessions" pages that said something like "To everyone walking on the cross walks, don't get mad when we can't stop in this weather." Then people commented that we should slow down because they have the right-of-way. Yes, but it's not as easy as it looks to stop in a heartbeat. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had to slam on the breaks because someone pops out of nowhere, and they don't even notice because they assume the driver can see everything at every moment. Sorry, that's the end of my rant. :p

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Great minds think alike. My DH got his bonus last Friday, shopping commenced.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
You need to come visit.

I got nudged by a taxi in Manhattan. We were crossing with the light, when a cab decided to turn left AGAINST his light. He honked at the large group of us crossing legally, and then crept through. Anyways, he nudged my hip.
I know I'm not a big person, and almost invisible beside my giant hubby, but seriously dude - the light is red!! Whether or not he saw me, he had no right turning left yet.
Strangely, he wasn't too impressed when I pounded on his hood to get his attention. One look at hubby, and he decided to let it go, and proceed on his illegal merry way.

NYwdwfan

Yup, that's like here! Except on busier streets and roads, that's an obvious that you don't simply walk out into traffic... But Manhattan? That's kinda sad.

What ticks me off is when college students decide to pop out from behind parked cars and cross the street without looking, and they aren't in a cross walk. Even when they are in a cross walk it's hard to see them pop out. There was a "fight" on Facebook yesterday over one of the posts on the "Confessions" pages that said something like "To everyone walking on the cross walks, don't get mad when we can't stop in this weather." Then people commented that we should slow down because they have the right-of-way. Yes, but it's not as easy as it looks to stop in a heartbeat. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had to slam on the breaks because someone pops out of nowhere, and they don't even notice because they assume the driver can see everything at every moment. Sorry, that's the end of my rant. :p

It's so different here! Manhattan there are a lot of pedestrians but Long Island people don't walk. Anywhere. I can't think of anywhere there are crosswalks - except maybe near a school. Things are just spread out enough it's too far to walk so you pretty much have to drive everywhere. It's so congested. That's why there are to same stores every 10-15 minutes. If I say I'm going to Target/Walmart/Best Buy etc. the next question is usually "which one"? I never lived anywhere else - I sometimes wish we lived somewhere quiet and more private. It seems like a nice way of life.

acishere

Holy cow I came here hoping to find the site quiet to do the same thing!!
Everyone just needs to cover our avatars with one of their hands for the next hour or so.

You need to come visit.

I thought the tourists who just stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk to gawk at a building were oblivious about city rules...

NYwdwfan

I got nudged by a taxi in Manhattan. We were crossing with the light, when a cab decided to turn left AGAINST his light. He honked at the large group of us crossing legally, and then crept through. Anyways, he nudged my hip.
I know I'm not a big person, and almost invisible beside my giant hubby, but seriously dude - the light is red!! Whether or not he saw me, he had no right turning left yet.
Strangely, he wasn't too impressed when I pounded on his hood to get his attention. One look at hubby, and he decided to let it go, and proceed on his illegal merry way.

He probably gets his hood pounded 20 times a day.

PUSH

Original Poster
It's so different here! Manhattan there are a lot of pedestrians but Long Island people don't walk. Anywhere. I can't think of anywhere there are crosswalks - except maybe near a school. Things are just spread out enough it's too far to walk so you pretty much have to drive everywhere. It's so congested. That's why there are to same stores every 10-15 minutes. If I say I'm going to Target/Walmart/Best Buy etc. the next question is usually "which one"? I never lived anywhere else - I sometimes wish we lived somewhere quiet and more private. It seems like a nice way of life.
I like a small town. It's friendlier, safer, and less trouble IMO. I guess I've never lived in a big city, though. I've been to Chicago a few times and have walked around and it was really cool. I said I'd like to live there for like a week, but then I'd miss the small, quiet life. Everything seemed so fancy there (I walked around the financial district and whatnot, not the slums).

Gabe1

At my DDs University they ticket students for not crossing in crosswalks. At a light you will get a ticket for crossing, even if there isn't a car if you don't have the walk sign. They also have diagonal crossing which I love, traffic stops all directions for pedestrians to cross on a diagonal for about 30 seconds at a time. The cross walk light also talks to you and counts down along with numbers count down. If you are caught in crosswalk when time runs out you get a ticket. Motorists get moving violations for not stopping at signal controlled crossings if there are students waiting to cross.They also have bike lanes. Bikes are required to stop for all traffic control lights and signs. If you don't, ticket. Reminds me of Cali.

University of IL fundraising.

acishere

I'm walking here!

imwalkinghere.jpg

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
He probably gets his hood pounded 20 times a day.
Aside from that incident, we looooved NYC.

Rubes that we are, 3 of walked from Times Square to our hotel at Lexington & 48th at 3:00 a.m.
The rest of our group took a taxi home an hour or so later and were shocked when they learned we had walked.
Felt perfectly safe to us; although everyone's reaction made us question our sanity after the fact.

Tell me honestly, were we nuts?

PUSH

Original Poster
At my DDs University they ticket students for not crossing in crosswalks. At a light you will get a ticket for crossing, even if there isn't a car if you don't have the walk sign. They also have diagonal crossing which I love, traffic stops all directions for pedestrians to cross on a diagonal for about 30 seconds at a time. The cross walk light also talks to you and counts down along with numbers count down. If you are caught in crosswalk when time runs out you get a ticket. Motorists get moving violations for not stopping at signal controlled crossings if there are students waiting to cross.They also have bike lanes. Bikes are required to stop for all traffic control lights and signs. If you don't, ticket. Reminds me of Cali.

University of IL fundraising.
Our cops are just busy ticketing parked cars - it's what they're known for! Our cops don't like to follow rules, though. They park illegally so they can ticket illegally parked cars - makes sense! And I witnessed a campus police car turn without a blinker last week. And the cops speed. And they take up two parking spaces. Good times.

acishere

I looked up in Chicago. :oops:

Around here, the tallest building is on campus, and then there is a tall apartment building downtown. And by tall I mean 6ish stories probably.
You are allowed to stop and gawk. Just move out of the flow of pedestrians. I have seen so many people walk into people and things in midtown Manhattan, its hilarious.

Gabe1

I like a small town. It's friendlier, safer, and less trouble IMO. I guess I've never lived in a big city, though. I've been to Chicago a few times and have walked around and it was really cool. I said I'd like to live there for like a week, but then I'd miss the small, quiet life. Everything seemed so fancy there (I walked around the financial district and whatnot, not the slums).

I was born in Chicago and my folks got us out of Chicago by the time I was 7. I visit, it is fun. Endless things to do. Then I hop a train and return to my little Hamlet. That's enough for me.

PUSH

Original Poster
You are allowed to stop and gawk. Just move out of the flow of pedestrians. I have seen so many people walk into people and things in midtown Manhattan, its hilarious.
I like the pigeons. They act like normal people walking the streets. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom