Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury left me breathless, with my pulse racing.

Gone With the Wind was sweeping and epic. DO NOT read it before watching the movie.

I can pop off a Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel in less than 90 minutes and re-read it a month later.

I have read every Agatha Christie novel at least 10 times.

Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels feature the most natural witty dialogue.

Best book ever ... the one I'm taking to my deserted island ... still stalling.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Gone With the Wind was sweeping and epic. DO NOT read it before watching the movie.
I had to watch it before taking a screenwriting class in high school. I understand that both the book and the film are classics, but Scarlet O'hara is so annoying. And dumb. Ashley was never going to love her, but she had a man who did, and then she didn't realize it until it was too late. :banghead:

JenniferS

My favourite poem, however, hands down, is Ozymandius by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

The bolded lines makes me shiver.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Best books I've ever had to read for school:
Well-crafted: The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat
Influential/left me thinking for a while: Great Gatsby and Handmaid's Tale
Overall enjoyable: Jane Eyre

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How about all three? Most inspiring book you ever read, most influential book you ever read, best in terms of well crafted.
Sure.

That will satisfy all.
1) Inspiring Books...well, this will have to go to a whole series of short stories and books by this man...

The world's most prolific writer.

His short stories are sublime and reach out to all ages (I started reading them at age 9). He made many references to the past (which brought an interest in past literature)...but, if you understand him, and his context, in his more complex writings, he makes Walt and EPCOT look pale...and, he's far more influential than Lucas or Roddenberry, who both were focused on the popular (Roddenberry less so, but still a slave to it). Asimov just didn't care.

His Foundation Series is his most famous work, but what non-Asimov fans don't understand is that all his stories, from the short stories to the novels, tie together to make a larger human (and human future) narrative.

Far to much to say upon that now, but no one author has inspired me anything more than he has.

Were I to recommend him to someone, I'd start off with his Elijah Bailey detective series, and then move on to his short stories and THEN read the FULL Foundation series (Foundation and Earth is hard to find now, but it ties it all together)...over 20+ novels and nearly 300 short stories...

Just epic storytelling. And an epic and introspective view.

2) This goes to something that is a rather silly book. It's by Ken Blanchard, whom I think is largely an opportunist, but even opportunists can be savants! This one that has to do with how to manage people. There are tons of management books out there, but I think "One Minute Manager" and more specifically (the book I chose) is "One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey".

The books are written simply, and rather short. And yes, they have to do with management...and normally I hate those style of books (Good to Great is quite interesting as well, but not as practical as One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey"...

I won't get into all the lessons taught in that book, but for me, it's a very influential book that should be mandatory reading for anyone in a position of leadership.

3) As far as the best put together, I'm gonna have to give that to Harper Goff with To Kill a Mockingbird.

A close second would be Steinbeck with Of Mice and Men...but, I really think Goff captures and simplifies (yet explains so well sub-textually) various social issues.

Hands down one of my favorite book.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
2) This goes to something that is a rather silly book. It's by Ken Blanchard, whom I think is largely an opportunist, but even opportunists can be savants! This one that has to do with how to manage people. There are tons of management books out there, but I think "One Minute Manager" and more specifically (the book I chose) is "One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey".

The books are written simply, and rather short. And yes, they have to do with management...and normally I hate those style of books (Good to Great is quite interesting as well, but not as practical as One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey"...

I won't get into all the lessons taught in that book, but for me, it's a very influential book that should be mandatory reading for anyone in a position of leadership.

Actually, that is one that my Management professor (also my adviser) recommends for her "advisees". That may have also been mentioned in my textbook; I would have to go back and look.

3) As far as the best put together, I'm gonna have to give that to Harper Goff with To Kill a Mockingbird.
Interesting. My AP Spanish teacher loves that book. I can't say that I enjoyed it just because I didn't like Scout as a character, but you are right; it's very well crafted and a good look at racial history.

A close second would be Steinbeck with Of Mice and Men...but, I really think Goff captures and simplifies (yet explains so well sub-textually) various social issues.

Hands down one of my favorite book.
Another book I can't say I enjoyed, but it does illustrate the social issues of the time. Also interesting on how they looked at mental illnesses at the time. And I felt bad for the mice. :(

JenniferS

Best books I've ever had to read for school:
Well-crafted: The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat
Influential/left me thinking for a while: Great Gatsby and Handmaid's Tale
Overall enjoyable: Jane Eyre
Ugh - I hated A Handmaid's Tale. As a Canadian, Margaret Atwood gets shoved down our throats.

I love the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen. The first time I read Jane Eyre, I was terrified about what was going on in that attic! At the time, I was 12, and we lived in a ginormous 120 year old house, which we generously shared with mice, bats and raccoons. The novel was so atmospheric, it had me shaking in my bed. At least until the mystery was revealed.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually, that is one that my Management professor (also my adviser) recommends for her "advisees". That may have also been mentioned in my textbook; I would have to go back and look.

No offense to your "Management teacher"...but, you can't teach management without direct application. One either does, or doesn't. There is no such thing as "management theory". It's complete crap that's been made up.

The MBA is the most worthless degree I can think of.

Interesting. My AP Spanish teacher loves that book. I can't say that I enjoyed it just because I didn't like Scout as a character, but you are right; it's very well crafted and a good look at racial history.

Another book I can't say I enjoyed, but it does illustrate the social issues of the time. Also interesting on how they looked at mental illnesses at the time. And I felt bad for the mice. :(
Has that time really changed? Lennie is a massive, but autistic, man.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Ugh - I hated A Handmaid's Tale. As a Canadian, Margaret Atwood gets shoved down our throats.
Really? I enjoyed that book. It was one of the few books that I read ahead just to finish.

I love the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen. The first time I read Jane Eyre, I was terrified about what was going on in that attic! At the time, I was 12, and we lived in a ginormous 120 year old house, which we generously shared with mice, bats and raccoons. The novel was so atmospheric, it had me shaking in my bed. At least until the mystery was revealed.
LOL, Jane Austen I was never wild about. I tried reading Pride and Prejudice and just could not get into it. I read a simplified Jane Eyre when I was 8. I think the hardest part of it to read for me was when Helen dies. I read it again; I think I was 13, and then I reread it Senior year for summer reading. Good thing, given that I used it for an essay question on the AP English Literature exam. I haven't read any Emily Bronte as of yet.

JenniferS

Steinbeck's The Pearl really moved me.

Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are definite top ten.

My favourite child's book is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

But ding, ding, ding, we have a tie for first ...

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
and Flowers for Algernon (Charlie)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Steinbeck's The Pearl really moved me.

Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer are definite top ten.

My favourite child's book is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

But ding, ding, ding, we have a tie for first ...

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
and Flowers for Algernon (Charlie)
Actually, I have a favorite child's book, but it wasn't that one. Same series though!

Alexander Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday!

I read both to my kiddo when she was younger!

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
No offense to your "Management teacher"...but, you can't teach management without direct application. One either does, or doesn't. There is no such thing as "management theory". It's complete crap that's been made up.

The MBA is the most worthless degree I can think of.
Which is why we are required to have internships to gain real world experience. And at least one international business course, that's preferably being taught in another country (via study abroad or a, ugh, what's it called, direct learning?) And also why I'm thinking of minoring in marketing.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Which is why we are required to have internships to gain real world experience. And at least one international business course, that's preferably being taught in another country (via study abroad or a, ugh, what's it called, direct learning?) And also why I'm thinking of minoring in marketing.
Which is why I'll still tell you that your "management" education is crap.

But, go ahead. Do it. Use those federal grants and student loans, to learn nothing of import.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom