Where in the World is Bob Saget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Wow. Moby Dick. That's some hard reading there! How did you ever manage?
Honestly, Sparknotes (similar to Cliffnotes, but electronic). I would read the chapter and then read the notes to make sure I got everything. Read it last year over winter break. I also started Anna Karenina at the reccomendation of my journalism teacher, but had to stop when my school work load got heavy

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Honestly, Sparknotes (similar to Cliffnotes, but electronic). I would read the chapter and then read the notes to make sure I got everything. Read it last year over winter break. I also started Anna Karenina at the reccomendation of my journalism teacher, but had to stop when my school work load got heavy
I read War and Peace one summer in my early 20's.
I had to make a character list to keep up with all the names. I would highlight them once they were killed off. By the end, I had a very pretty pink page.

Spoiler alert - a LOT of characters die.
And oh yeah, there's a snowman in Frozen.

JenniferS

I had to do that with Crime and Punishment sophomore year of High school. That, and Sparknotes.
No internet in my high school days.
In Canada, we used to have to go to Coles bookstores, and purchase "Coles Notes".
I only ever needed them once - for A Tale of Two Cities. I just could not get into that book.

I read a lot, get most of my books from the library. For many years, ATOTC was the only book I had never finished. Now my mantra is, if I can't get into a book by page 60, that's it, I'm done.

I have started and abandoned the final Harry Potter book at least 4 times. My cleaning lady finally told me to read it or put it away, as she was sick of dusting it week after week.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I needed glasses. I missed so much in books before I got readers and was completely unaware how bad my vision is.

Moby Dick is annoying because of the long chapters of nothing but whale classification that isn't even valid anymore.
Oh, it's quite valid. It's valid to the story. Without them, you don't understand the characters. Without understanding the characters, you can't understand the underlying concerns...what made them who they are.

The great books are never just "great stories", per se. There's a reason why the Da Vinci Code, for example, will (or should) never be considered a "great book", even though it's a FANTASTIC story...it's because of the character dynamic. And to understand the characters, you need to understand how and WHY they think, feel and believe they do.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's the difference between seeing the movie 12 Angry Men vs watching Law and Order. One story is a discussion of humanity and society, the other is pulp fiction.

While pulp fiction can be touching, it is rarely insightful.

JenniferS

Oh, it's quite valid. It's valid to the story. Without them, you don't understand the characters. Without understanding the characters, you can't understand the underlying concerns...what made them who they are.

The great books are never just "great stories", per se. There's a reason why the Da Vinci Code, for example, will (or should) never be considered a "great book", even though it's a FANTASTIC story...it's because of the character dynamic. And to understand the characters, you need to understand how and WHY they think, feel and believe they do.
Best book you ever read?
I will contemplate my answer while awaiting your response.

acishere

But it had the Tom Hanks character (I forget the character name) jump out of a helicopter and use a sport coat as a parachute! Who needs characters when you have that?!

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
No internet in my high school days.
In Canada, we used to have to go to Coles bookstores, and purchase "Coles Notes".
I only ever needed them once - for A Tale of Two Cities. I just could not get into that book.
Oh gosh, I hated that book. We had to read it in eighth grade. That was before we had internet, so I was stuck with getting help from the teacher and watching the movie in class. The who guillotine thing...I have never recovered. :depressed:

I read a lot, get most of my books from the library. For many years, ATOTC was the only book I had never finished. Now my mantra is, if I can't get into a book by page 60, that's it, I'm done.

I have started and abandoned the final Harry Potter book at least 4 times. My cleaning lady finally told me to read it or put it away, as she was sick of dusting it week after week.
Ha:). I've started reading more since I got my glasses. But what can I say; I like Nicholas Sparks better than anything. :joyfull:

EDIT: high speed internet I meant. We were on dial up back then

JenniferS

"Best"? Well...that's a very vague term.

Best meaning most inspiring to me personally? Most influential in my life view? Best well crafted in terms of story and character?

That's a very vague term.
I agree. My bad.

Aside from any religious texts - what is the one and only book you will read during your 10 years of being a Castaway?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
But it had the Tom Hanks character (I forget the character name) jump out of a helicopter and use a sport coat as a parachute! Who needs characters when you have that?!
One of the best moments in movie history I think...after you watched the whole movie...

Not a word said...the music and images carry it all...I mean...just LOOK at this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom