When you drive, what's stopping you?

Montyboy

The last time I drove, I stopped to sleep in the car, and to find out what South of the Border was.

Is there anywhere you have to stop because of tradition, or just because it caught your eye?

And maybe someone can tell me what Cafe Risque is.

tigsmom

The last time I drove, I stopped to sleep in the car, and to find out what South of the Border was.

Is there anywhere you have to stop because of tradition, or just because it caught your eye?

And maybe someone can tell me what Cafe Risque is.

We always stop at The Maryland House rest area on I95, South of the Border, JR Cigars in NC and grandma's house. :lookaroun

Cafe Risque is a strip joint that always seems to be packed to the rafters, even on Sunday mornings. :shrug:

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

We stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, lunch and dinner both days coming and going. We also stop at South of the Border----how could you drive past that place and NOT stop? We always go in one shop, laugh at everything, buy one or two things, and move on.
The last sop on the way down is the FL welcome center. We always get out, check out the palm trees, get our free OJ sample, and some brochures to read for that last four hour stretch.
On the way home, we usually stop at one of the roadside stands to bring home a bag or two of FL oranges.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We stop at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, lunch and dinner both days coming and going. We also stop at South of the Border----how could you drive past that place and NOT stop? We always go in one shop, laugh at everything, buy one or two things, and move on.
The last sop on the way down is the FL welcome center. We always get out, check out the palm trees, get our free OJ sample, and some brochures to read for that last four hour stretch.
On the way home, we usually stop at one of the roadside stands to bring home a bag or two of FL oranges.

I thought that went without saying, its a law isn't it? :lol:

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We drive from NKY to Orlando and pretty much take 75S the whole way. We always stop at the Log Cabin restruant in Landon TN, south of Knoxville. It is great and had pie for only $2.00. We alway get two pices for middle of the night snacking sugar rush. We sometimes nap over the FL border where the rest stop's have gaurds.
What is south of the border?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We drive from NKY to Orlando and pretty much take 75S the whole way. We always stop at the Log Cabin restruant in Landon TN, south of Knoxville. It is great and had pie for only $2.00. We alway get two pices for middle of the night snacking sugar rush. We sometimes nap over the FL border where the rest stop's have gaurds.
What is south of the border?

Tacky tourist trap...

http://www.pedroland.com/

Upvote 0

tigsmom

MMMmmm... Cracker Barrel ...So Good

So Consistently Good

We always stop for Cracker Barrel :slurp: :slurp:

That the basic reason we always stop there. You know what you are getting no matter which location you choose. The food is the same in NJ as it is in SC as it is in Florida. :cool:

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I concur with the Cracker Barrel sentiment- it's a good place to get a nice meal in a reasonably short period of time.

South of the Border is so delightfully tacky and trashy, that you can't help but stop. I was afraid to touch anything in the bathrooms, and I would never dream of eating in the restaurant.

Upvote 0

Kerby626

We usually stop for gas or Zaxby's. Zaxby's is a chicken joint that serves AWESOME chicken strips. I went through a phase after my dad passed away that I wanted Cracker Barrell anytime we were on the road. Which for a while was every weekend for 3 months. Now we stop in St Augustine at the Beall's outlet. They got a Disney Outlet there. They also have a decent knife store. Well it's okay, not good, not bad. On the other side of the exit is a Prime Outlet and Cracker Barrell. Also the next exit down on 95 there is another strip club/truck stop. It's no Cafe Risque.

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

We made a new tradition the last time we drove and we plan on doing it again...Burger King at the Daytona exit. Just a last stretch of the legs, a cup of coffee and preparing for that EXTREMELY long drive down I4. My husband drives straight thru from NJ to FL...no overnight, no nap. One year we made it in 15 hours. He is still trying to beat the record.
We have no real traditions, because my husband won't stop.:brick:

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

once I hit the road I hate to stop but we do it anyway. Some of our favorites are Chick Fil A & Cracker Barrel because they are always good & the bathrooms are clean.

We also stop at the Florida Welcome Center. It's very nice & we like the free OJ. Oh my, we are leaving in 14 days and just thinking about this is getting me excited. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

MissM

Tacky to be sure, but SO much fun when I was a kid, driving the long route between Florida and PA/NJ/NY in the summers (or back.) For about a hundred miles out in both directions, there are signs. Funny, stupid, campy signs. It's terribly entertaining since much of I-95 looks the same.

You can see pictures of the billboards here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(attraction)

(Ironically, I don't think we ever stopped. But I quite looked forward to the billboards!)
-m

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

Wow, I applaud those of you who make a stop at South of the Border. Just driving past that thing makes me cringe (and giggle a little.) We usually drove straight through to SC coming from Northern VA. My grandparents house was our stop over for like a day or so. Then we picked back up again to make the final leg to FL.

Oh, and I didn't see any South of the Border billboards when we made our last trip to SC. I was kinda sad because that was such a huge part of my road trip on 95. Those tacky, tacky signs let us know that we were getting closer to SC and further away from VA. :lol:

Upvote 0

sbkline

It's a nasty...non-family place in Dunn, NC.

There's also a couple of them on I-75. "We Bare All" is the slogan on the billboards, so that about tells you all you need to know. :lookaroun

I think it is a sleezy restaraunt where the waitresses serve the tables topless and there are nude dancers. My former boss said that she and her boyfriend stopped there once on their way back from Florida (not WDW). I think they also sell adult videos and toys and such.

Maybe I should keep my eye out on this thread and see if there is actually anyone who admits to stopping here on the way down.:lol:

Upvote 0

doop

Another Cracker Barrel fan here...

We always stop in Rocky Mount, NC for a good night's sleep.

I must say though, I've never been compelled to visit South of the Border; however, the signs are fun to read.

Upvote 0

DISMOM

We stop at the Warner Robins exit off of I75 in Georgia, south of Atlanta, for gas. There is a nice convience mart there which is combined with an Arby's or something like that. Clean restrooms. The fast food place has the best sticky pecan rolls any time of the day. Just seeing them reminds us that we are really in the SOUTH.!! Oh, and across the road is a strip joint. Don't remember the name but the adults on the trip [DH and myself] always make a comment about it.

Upvote 0

DISMOM

Oh, one more thing...we always notice the billboards in the South for... pecan logs, goo goo clusters, oranges and outlet malls!! It's southern economy at it's best. ha. We don't have billboards for those things up here in Indiana. It's just some more little thing that makes a trip to Disney special. Just thinking about all of this makes me want to go....

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The family and I have a fairly short drive to WDW (about 2.5 hours) but we rarely make it past the rest stop just before downtown Orlando on I-4. My youngest daughter is usually still in PJ's sow we take this opportunity to get her dressed plus I get to see a sight in the men's rest room that has always baffled me.

P1060651.JPG

P1060650.JPG

Maybe I am just not hip or daring enough, but I have never had the inclination to have picnic on the baby changing table in the men's rest room at a rest stop on I-4. But I guess I am just funny like that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom