When you drive, what's stopping you?

Montyboy

The last time I drove, I stopped to sleep in the car, and to find out what South of the Border was.

Is there anywhere you have to stop because of tradition, or just because it caught your eye?

And maybe someone can tell me what Cafe Risque is.

Kriszee1

Wow!! I am impressed. Being from just south of you in Lacey, I don't know anyone who has made it in less than 20 hours. How fast were you guys going? I want directions from you!:animwink: We always fly, but 15 hours I might consider the drive.

Believe me...my eyes were SHUT the entire ride!!! I think at some points we were going 100 mph...Last year we made it in 16 1/2 which is still excellent time. We have a young son now and my husband will lose body parts if he tries it this time!!! We had to stop 3 times for gas and there are NO sit down meals. Ususally I am finishing my chicken nuggets as I walk out the door.

Upvote 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Believe me...my eyes were SHUT the entire ride!!! I think at some points we were going 100 mph...Last year we made it in 16 1/2 which is still excellent time. We have a young son now and my husband will lose body parts if he tries it this time!!! We had to stop 3 times for gas and there are NO sit down meals. Ususally I am finishing my chicken nuggets as I walk out the door.

It takes us about 14-15 hours from Mount Laurel.

On the way down, we usually stop overnight, but coming back, we usually leave about 5 in the morning and are back by around 7 in the evening (with a few stops for bathroom, food, and gas).

But my wife doesn't drive with us. If we had her with us, it would probably take 20.:lookaroun

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: We Always have to stop at the Magnolia Plantation in Ga. Its cheesy, but fun to look and a restroom stop and get out to stretch the old legs!! Plus, theres some pretty palm trees there. we dont have those in good old Michigan.............

Upvote 0
It takes us about 14-15 hours from Mount Laurel.

On the way down, we usually stop overnight, but coming back, we usually leave about 5 in the morning and are back by around 7 in the evening (with a few stops for bathroom, food, and gas).

But my wife doesn't drive with us. If we had her with us, it would probably take 20.:lookaroun

Hey neighbor! I love your trip reports, they are so funny and fun to read.

Upvote 0

DisneySam

When we drive I usually take the early morning shift (leaving Lexington at 3 or 4 am going 75-S.) The drive from Lexington is usually right at 13 hours, and to keep myself from going stir-crazy I usually drive at least 8 of them. I am truely my father's child so I stop as little as possible getting through KY and TN. We usually make our 1st stop in GA at a Chick Fil A for breakfast.

One of my FAVORITE stops is now long gone, the Disney Welcome Center in Ocala, FL :cry: it always made you feel like you are almost there. One of my favorite childhood vacation stops was the Cracker Barrell we always stopped at the one in the Great Smokeys in TN.

Does anyone else do the first palm tree sighting? We always keep a look out for the first palm tree that we see on the road. Its usually in S Georgia at a hotel.

Upvote 0

WildcatDen

Our trips south used to always include a stop at the Dutch Pantry. Man, I miss those places. Best French Toast . . . EVER.

Now, like so many others, we either do Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans. If Cracker Barrel would only replace their gravy with Bob Evan's sausage gravy, then all would be right in the world.

Upvote 0

eagles

loved to stop at south of the border. it is tradition. it was always the 1/2 way point. so it was a great place to stop, and rest.
..we spend the nite there at the hotel. excellent prices. great place to get out and stretch the legs, and let the kids get rid of some energy. the pools are wonderful. i have always had the most friendly staff wait on us.

now we take the train. i miss pedro!

Upvote 0

awalkinthepark

When we drove down from MA hubby would plot out Hooter's along the way so he could add a new shirt(s) to his collection(which is now collecting dust)....even in their high chairs the boys always enjoyed Hooter's for some reason..I'm not quite sure why. :rolleyes: Other than that Cracker Barrel was always a favorite on the way back when hubby's t-shirt budget was wiped out.

When we were kidless we would take naps in the car....but my children really didn't care for car seats unless the car was in motion so we would find a motel just over the SC line. Now we live just under an hour's drive away.....before my eldest started school, once or twice a week I would load them into their car seats in their jammies/or dress them while they were sleeping and they would always wake up just as we were pulling into our parking spot for the day ......which is always a great way to start the day ...at 'Mickey Mouse House' as my 3 y/o calls it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom