When will SSE be finished?

DisneyAnole

So what I'm hearing you say is that as long as you are a fan of something, you hold the ultimate opinion of what it should be?

Star Wars: Episode I, fans hated it, #5 top grossing movie of all time.

I'll even take your word that fans hated Spiderman 3, #15 top grossing movie of all time.

I am a Transformers fan, I didn't care for the movie. Therefore according to your logic that means the general public did not care for it. #19 top grossing movies of all time.

So I will reiterate my point, when we can have a discussion with facts and not emotions or assumptions then there is room to disagree, until then its just opinions.

Not if you adjust for ticket price inflation.

fyn

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I disagree, and unless you can present your arguement with hard facts other than solely your opinion then this falls into the type of frustrating discussion I mentioned early.

Emotions can't be debated. The application of facts to support or deconstruct an arguement can.

From my personal perspective, I do not see the change as positive or negative either way. I see it as an update to the technology addressed in the ride. I am very much "meh" about the whole SSE change, and it is the same level of "meh" I was before the refurb.

Unless either of us (each side of the arguement) can come to the table with facts, we should probably just keep our opinions to ourselves.

My position: Future World has regressed with regard to its theming and overall messaging with the addition of Mission: Space, Test Track, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, JII refurbs, and now the SSE refurb.

The facts that support it: EPCOT Center used to be comprised of attractions that discussed the past, present, and future of how human beings live. Each attraction was specifically focused on a distinct element of the human experience. With each element of that theme that disappears, the original design intent of Future World is significantly diluted. To conclude, when looked at as a cohesive design, Future World has absolutely regressed.

People will surely disagree because "They like it better the way it is now," which is fine, but you can't argue the design is nearly has complete or elegant.

Fyn

DisneyAnole

Adjusted for inflation:

Star Wars: Episode I: #19

Spiderman 3: #97

Transformers: #100

Considering the tens of thousands of movies that have been release, these, I feel, still prove my point.

Well, no offense, but I disagree.

SW: Ep 1 basically rode the coattails of the Original Trilogy, so you can't really say that Ep1 was successful on its own merits. Spiderman 3 also benefitted from following two prior Spiderman movies. Which leaves Transformers (a movie that will be pushed out of the top hundred this year, mind you)--a movie that was based on toys and cartoons from the 80s, meaning it had a built-in market as well.

jakeman

fyn said:
My position: Future World has regressed with regard to its theming and overall messaging with the addition of Mission: Space, Test Track, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, JII refurbs, and now the SSE refurb.

The facts that support it: EPCOT Center used to be comprised of attractions that discussed the past, present, and future of how human beings live. Each attraction was specifically focused on a distinct element of the human experience. With each element of that theme that disappears, the original design intent of Future World is significantly diluted. To conclude, when looked at as a cohesive design, Future World has absolutely regressed.

People will surely disagree because "They like it better the way it is now," which is fine, but you can't argue the design is nearly has complete or elegant.
See, now if others can put together an argument as well structured and supported as this then debates could happen.

I agree that the focus and cohesiveness of Future World has been lost with the introduction of attraction such as Soarin and Test Track. I think that the sense of exploration and discovery are still there.

It's a theme park attraction.
You sir are correct and this is lost when debating the merits of it. I'll admit I don't understand the attachment to Epcot compared to other parks. WDW could burn down tomorrow and I would get over it and move on pretty quickly.

jakeman

Well, no offense, but I disagree.

SW: Ep 1 basically rode the coattails of the Original Trilogy, so you can't really say that Ep1 was successful on its own merits. Spiderman 3 also benefitted from following two prior Spiderman movies. Which leaves Transformers (a movie that will be pushed out of the top hundred this year, mind you)--a movie that was based on toys and cartoons from the 80s, meaning it had a built-in market as well.
I agree with you but I presented the argument in response specifically to provide examples of something that was successful but fans did not like.

Star Wars: Episode II is also on the list.

Hrudey3032

See, now if others can put together an argument as well structured and supported as this then debates could happen.

I agree that the focus and cohesiveness of Future World has been lost with the introduction of attraction such as Soarin and Test Track. I think that the sense of exploration and discovery are still there.

You sir are correct and this is lost when debating the merits of it. I'll admit I don't understand the attachment to Epcot compared to other parks. WDW could burn down tomorrow and I would get over it and move on pretty quickly.

I wouldn't get over it quickly.I look forward yearly to visiting the World and relaxing and breaking the stress of my everyday life and job.I have had some of my best memories there and while I would ultimately move on I would feel like a part of me was gone.

jakeman

I met my wife there. I got engaged there. I honeymooned there.

Despite all that, I still have those memories and WDW is just a place that will ever be changing.

I think we have gotten of topic. :lol:

Hrudey3032

Yea I think we turned left at Disney Drive when we should have went right at Epcot Lane.Its ok its a SSE thread and what would a SSE thread be if we didn't get off topic from time to time? :ROFLOL:​

montyz81

But that's the irony of EPCOT! The attractions from 25 years ago are more futuristic than what we have today....There is barely anything futuristic about Test Track, Nemo, Soarin', or the new, refurb'd SSE ending.

Mission:Space is a bit futuristic but could be done much better IMO.

I couldn't agree more! March 1983 was the best Epcot I knew. I am sure it was better once Horizons opened but it wasn't open in March of 83.

MousDad

Without sounding like the ultimate Epcot Center nostalgia fanboy, it seems that the bulk of the people complaining are the fans of the classic Spaceship Earth than wouldn't a simple solution be to put the song Tomorrow's Child in the descent, perhaps with a few screens that show the old iPod esque images and be done with it?

I disagree somewhat. Here's my opinion on Tomorrow's Child. I'm a "post Tomorrow's Child only" generation of SSE rider. I never experienced the attraction when it had the song.

I hear TC all the time on Live365, and I have to be honest I'm not really crazy about it. It's okay, but it doesn't affect me in any way emotionally, and sounds extremely dated. There's lots of old and current park music/songs that I like much better.

I say this to make the point that I think adding TC back in now would appeal only to those people who experienced it in the original attraction, not to both groups as you suggest. Just my opinion.

Timmay

The one thing this thread proves is that everyone sees things different…the way they want them to be. SSE is not going to make every single person happy. It just can’t, not now, not ever.

See, some of us get that concept. We understand there are attractions in the park that just aren’t what we want, or what we like. But we accept that as a part of doing business. We don’t expect Disney to cater to us and us alone. We are realists. We understand Disney must cater to a very, very large number of different tastes.

However, not every one here does get it. They do expect Disney to cater to them alone. An attraction or park is not the same as it was 10, 20, or 25 years ago and the world has stopped spinning on its axis. It’s not the way they want it to be…who cares what other people think, because those people that do like it are dismissed as being simple minded, easily amused, not very clever, or a multitude of other things. The bottom line is they simply do not like the attraction, yet we hear things like “the music is boring”, “the park no longer shows us the way to the future”, or “people are not inspired by this or that”. In my opinion, that is hogwash. I think it is simply a matter of something not being the same as it was before or not living up to what they think it should be.

What some fail to realize is that people today may not want to go to Epcot to be inspired. Some of us are subjected to lectures, seminars and classes almost every day of our lives that revolve around inspiration, pep talks, and new and improved innovative ways to think “outside the box”. When some of us actually get to take some time off from work once every couple of years and go to WDW, maybe we just want to get away from all that “inspiration” and simply be entertained.

But then again, I realize all that is just my opinion.

plpeters70

When some of us actually get to take some time off from work once every couple of years and go to WDW, maybe we just want to get away from all that “inspiration” and simply be entertained.

While I agree with almost all of your post, I wanted to comment on this line. Wouldn't you agree that because WDW has four theme parks now, it would be better to have varied experiences at the parks? The WDW parks are becoming almost carbon copies of one another - with slightly different window dressing. Sure, one is devoted to Animals, and one is devoted to Movies, but they all have almost the same type of attractions now. (I.E cartoons everywhere!!) They only exist to entertain now - their original mission statements are all but forgotten.

I'd like to see WDW parks go back to being unique individuals - let EPCOT be the toon-free zone that is all about inspiration and education, let the Magic Kingdom be the place of family fun, let The Studios educate and entertain about the world of movie-making, and let Animal Kingdom educate us about our animal friends. I want totally unique experiences when I walk into each Disney theme park.

That's what made the original EPCOT Center so special -- it was totally unique, and something you just couldn't experience any where else. That's what each Disney park should be - and it's what I would like to see them go back to at ALL of their theme parks, not just EPCOT. If I want pure entertainment, I'll go to another park -- but when I'm looking for Inspiration, I'll take EPCOT Center, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Timmay

That's what made the original EPCOT Center so special -- it was totally unique, and something you just couldn't experience any where else. That's what each Disney park should be - and it's what I would like to see them go back to at ALL of their theme parks, not just EPCOT. If I want pure entertainment, I'll go to another park -- but when I'm looking for Inspiration, I'll take EPCOT Center, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Of course, that is why many people stopped coming to Epcot. While at WDW, they wanted something that had the feel of Disney.

To me, all four major parks do have a very different feel about them. I know not everyone feels that way, but they are as different and unique to me as ever.

I know one thing people complain about is the video screens...but "back in the day" you could have said the same about animatronics. I mean seriously, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those things.

See, it’s all just what we want it to be.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of course, that is why many people stopped coming to Epcot. While at WDW, they wanted something that had the feel of Disney.

To me, all four major parks do have a very different feel about them. I know not everyone feels that way, but they are as different and unique to me as ever.

I know one thing people complain about is the video screens...but "back in the day" you could have said the same about animatronics. I mean seriously, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one of those things.

See, it’s all just what we want it to be.

Where's the numbers to back that up? I keep hearing this but the numbers don't lie...... I've never seen Epcot really suffer attendance issues, it's always had higher attendance than the MGM and AK.

The parks might have a different feel about them, BUT:

We have Nemo both at Epcot and AK

We have a Lion King show at both Epcot and AK

We have princesses at Norway and MK

It's happening slowly, but it IS becoming less unique and more like a clone of the other Disney parks because they can't decide what to do with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom