When will SSE be finished?

DisneyAnole

Perhaps now,but not then.Back then it seems like they were truely dedicated to giving that message of hope and inspiration to the world.

Are you sure about that? Because if they had been devoted to the idea of EPCOT they would've found a way to finance and construct Walt's dream city. I know the 70s-early 80s were a volatile time for WDC---weren't they ultimately concerned about selling EPCOT Center as a new generation of theme parks, one that was uniquely educational and "serious" without the animated characters? Didn't they expect that idea to be profitable?

Just seems disingenuous to pretend that their dedication to "that message of hope and inspiration" was more important than selling tickets and turning a profit...

comics101

The ride progressed... but a certain few fans (?) can't.

That is a matter of opinion. In my opinion the new ending sucks in comparison to the old one. That is also the opinion of my aunt and cousins, who went to WDW for the first time in 15 years this past February. You can label a fanboy who's stuck in the past all you want, I could care less. Now, If you think that painting a bunch of walls black and putting flash animation on a really small televsion screen is in the park's icon is progress then fine, but in my opinion it's not. Am I as mad as some people are about the refurb? No. But I certainly don't believe what the outcome is can be considered progress.
I don't mean to sound bitter or angry (the last thing I want to do is start a fight) but I really wish you'd stop being such a debbie downer.

imagineer boy

Or those people were brought in to bring ligitamacy to a marketing campaign for a new theme park.

Why is it so hard to grasp that Disney is not benevolent (sp?)? That they would not build a theme park unless they thought the concept would make them money?

It is not cynicism, it's realism. Disney is a business, businesses purposes are to make money.

The reason why the Disney parks have been so popular over the years is not because the people who created them came in with the sole purpose to make a fortune, but rather because they put so much tender loving care into the parks with the intention of raising the bar of family entertainment and presenting new ideas to the world. Afterwards, the rewards and befefits come in, and in huge numbers. Its like the movies, because heck, the parks are like movies. If you make a movie with the absolute intention of making money, the movie will suck. If you make a movie with the intention of entertaining people, the movie will be good, and you will make money.

jakeman

The reason why the Disney parks have been so popular over the years is not because the people who created them came in with the sole purpose to make a fortune, but rather because they put so much tender loving care into the parks with the intention of raising the bar of family entertainment and presenting new ideas to the world. Afterwards, the rewards and befefits come in, and in huge numbers. Its like the movies, because heck, the parks are like movies. If you make a movie with the absolute intention of making money, the movie will suck. If you make a movie with the intention of entertaining people, the movie will be good, and you will make money.
Wow...just...wow.

Of course they made the parks to make money. To pretend that money is a happy side effect is ridiculous.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Wow...just...wow.

Of course they made the parks to make money. To pretend that money is a happy side effect is ridiculous.

Sigh....yes and Walt was all about making money, right???

Please, sometimes people and even companies do things because it is about a lot more than just making money...I realize that's hard for certain types of people to believe but it's true. Disney USED TO be like that.

coasterphil

Wow...just...wow.

It isn't a happy side effect, but the parks are built to entertain/inspire first and foremost because that is the key to making money.

jakeman

Are you sure about that? Because if they had been devoted to the idea of EPCOT they would've found a way to finance and construct Walt's dream city. I know the 70s-early 80s were a volatile time for WDC---weren't they ultimately concerned about selling EPCOT Center as a new generation of theme parks, one that was uniquely educational and "serious" without the animated characters? Didn't they expect that idea to be profitable?

Just seems disingenuous to pretend that their dedication to "that message of hope and inspiration" was more important than selling tickets and turning a profit...
Well said.

And with that I am bowing out of this conversation. It has derailed into crazy fanboy logic land.

imagineer boy

It seems that way, since Epcot as we know it today cost 1.4 billion dollars to make. Yeah, they were sure more interested in profit on that one.:rolleyes:

DisneyAnole

It seems that way, since Epcot as we know it today cost 1.4 billion dollars to make. Yeah, they were sure more interested in profit on that one.:rolleyes:

Um...what does the cost of building EPCOT Center have to do with their profit motives?

Are you (and others) REALLY so naive to think that EPCOT Center was built as some kind of theme park utopia? Get real! The designers may have thought the park was going to be inspiring---but Disney sure as hell didn't build it as a humanitarian gesture. They didn't build it expecting to lose money on it. :rolleyes:

The way some people have idealized Epcot is really...astonishing.

Dayma

The way some people have idealized Epcot is really...astonishing.

I agree with you but I think people idealize it because that's what Walt did and was trying to do. When he died from my understanding they realized the complications of fufilling his original concept. Imagine families living at epcot 24x7,365 days a year for everyone to watch. It would be reality TV gone bad.....

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I agree with you but I think people idealize it because that's what Walt did and was trying to do. When he died from my understanding they realized the complications of fufilling his original concept. Imagine families living at epcot 24x7,365 days a year for everyone to watch. It would be reality TV gone bad.....

We don't have enough of information to know if that would be true or not. Yes, there was some areas planned for access from guests to see how the city works, but nobody knows how much access they would have.

I think the EPCOT city plan was, and still is, a remarkable idea that has the potential to revolutionize how cities are built in the future.

Wilt Dasney

Doubt there will be any grand "ta-da, we're DONE!" moment. When you haven't noticed any changes in 6 months, that's when it's probably safe to assume it's finished.

Tink95

What is happening to Epcot? I mean they changed the design of SSE, and now a classic ride is changed? Why would they change it, the line was already long, now more people will come to a new ride.:shrug: my post might be wrong and plz correct me, but dont insult me lol:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom